New pub for Preston?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plau has three floors and three bars.

Bottom is the incredible cellar bar with five kegs taps (3 craft, 2 cider/Becks Vier) a couple of fridges and a lot of gins.

Middle is the 'entrance' floor with six cask pumps, eight keg taps (4 craft, 4 Becks/Lowenbrau/cider/Weißbier) fridges crammed full of craft ales and the cocktail/gin bar down the front.

Upstairs there is the dining room with a snug bar to the rear with all the keg taps from the middle floor replicated and a wide range of wines. At the very back of the top floor will be a Orangery greenhouse type thing but this won't be in place until summer.

Comment

• Originally posted by AndySaville View Post
      Plau has three floors and three bars.

Bottom is the incredible cellar bar with five kegs taps (3 craft, 2 cider/Becks Vier) a couple of fridges and a lot of gins.

Middle is the 'entrance' floor with six cask pumps, eight keg taps (4 craft, 4 Becks/Lowenbrau/cider/Weißbier) fridges crammed full of craft ales and the cocktail/gin bar down the front.

Upstairs there is the dining room with a snug bar to the rear with all the keg taps from the middle floor replicated and a wide range of wines. At the very back of the top floor will be a Orangery greenhouse type thing but this won't be in place until summer.
      Doesnt the bottom floor have a well in it, something they discovered during the redevlopment?
      "The gig economy is nothing new, its simply the reincarnation of an ancient evil."

Justin Welby

Comment

• Originally posted by raefil View Post

Doesnt the bottom floor have a well in it, something they discovered during the redevlopment?
        Yes it does, gets flipping warm in that cellar too.

Comment

• Where are the top 10 pubs in Preston town centreOK folks. Not been up town drinking for 5 years plus. Tan ink some pals out early afternoon on Tuesday. We all like real ale and are old .u

Comment

• Originally posted by prestonmadhouse View Post
            Where are the top 10 pubs in Preston town centreOK folks. Not been up town drinking for 5 years plus. Tan ink some pals out early afternoon on Tuesday. We all like real ale and are old .u
            My favs are:-

Moorbrook, North Road, 9 cask, 5 keg.
            Vinyl Tap, Adelphi Street, 6 cask, two keg.
            Plau, Friargate, 4 cask, eight keg (a must visit).
            Black Horse, Friargate, 8 cask.
            Market Tap (was Tavern), Orchard Street, 6 cask.
            Plug & Taps, Lune Street, 4 cask, 10 keg.
            Orchard, Preston Market, 2 cask, 10 keg.
            Guild Ale House, Lancaster Road, 7 cask, 4 keg.

I suggest meeting in the Moorbrook then making your way into town via Vinyl Tap and Plau to break up the walk. If you fancy some pie and ale action visit Otter's Pocket on Winckley Street which is... a Pie & Ale shop.

Comment

I suggest meeting in the Moorbrook then making your way into town via Vinyl Tap and Plau to break up the walk. If you fancy some pie and ale action visit Otter's Pocket on Winckley Street which is... a Pie & Ale shop.
              Amazing how things change in the pub world. Only two of the above have traditional pub co ownership. All the rest are independents

Comment

• Originally posted by soviet View Post

Amazing how things change in the pub world. Only two of the above have traditional pub co ownership. All the rest are independents
                It’s the way to go.

Comment

• I reckon if the Tap and Spyle that used to be on Fylde Road was starting out now, in Preston Centre, it would have no problem surviving. I think the place was ahead of its time.

Comment

• Originally posted by northender0602 View Post

It’s the way to go.
                    Sure is. People want a decent variety of ale or the usual stuff as cheap as possible, pubco ties offer neither of these.

And on that note the Dog & Partridge has shut this weekend for yet another refurb. Unfortunately it will mean the end of live music there as owners Star Pubs (Heineken) have seen a gap in the market for a sports bar given there are only two within 300 yard of the D&P and another on Cannon Street. Snacks of desperation to me!

Comment

Cheers pal

Comment

And on that note the Dog & Partridge has shut this weekend for yet another refurb. Unfortunately it will mean the end of live music there as owners Star Pubs (Heineken) have seen a gap in the market for a sports bar given there are only two within 300 yard of the D&P and another on Cannon Street. Snacks of desperation to me!
                        That's a weird one, Dog & Partridge always seems to do OK on a Saturday night when there is a band on.

Certainly don't need another sports bar down Friargate, especially when the place is pretty tiny and no doubt won't be very cheap.

Mad how these breweries don't look at Plug & Taps and Guild Ale House and try to copy as much as they can.

Comment

• Originally posted by sf View Post

That's a weird one, Dog & Partridge always seems to do OK on a Saturday night when there is a band on.

Certainly don't need another sports bar down Friargate, especially when the place is pretty tiny and no doubt won't be very cheap.

Mad how these breweries don't look at Plug & Taps and Guild Ale House and try to copy as much as they can.
                          Unfortunately it has not been doing well enough on a Friday/Saturday night to pay for 5 days of being virtually dead. As I've (and many others) have said previously, they should have never messed with the place bar fixing the awful toilets. It's rocker/biker/real ale mix was very strange but it worked a treat but when the landlord of 30 years retired the owners thought they could upgrade the place, keep the current clientele and attract new patrons as well. Unfortunately it did neither and I can't see the new approach working either.

As you said, why these big breweries/pubcos don't learn from what is happening with free of tie pubs/micropubs/bars who offer wide ranges of independently brewed beer and their increasing popularity I don't know.

Comment

• My next door neighbour - one half of Beer Brothers - is taking over Mad Hatters until the New Year...

Comment

Unfortunately it has not been doing well enough on a Friday/Saturday night to pay for 5 days of being virtually dead. As I've (and many others) have said previously, they should have never messed with the place bar fixing the awful toilets. It's rocker/biker/real ale mix was very strange but it worked a treat but when the landlord of 30 years retired the owners thought they could upgrade the place, keep the current clientele and attract new patrons as well. Unfortunately it did neither and I can't see the new approach working either.

As you said, why these big breweries/pubcos don't learn from what is happening with free of tie pubs/micropubs/bars who offer wide ranges of independently brewed beer and their increasing popularity I don't know.
                              i used to love the D and P back in the 80s, big bikes parked outside, crash helmets hung up everywhere and Motorhead blaring out of the juke box. The new Brit was decent then round the corner, as was the Sun further down. Cap the crawl off in the Lamb and Packet and Adelphi, curry in the Bengal. Everything you needed within about 200 yards.

Dirty Harry. Spouting shite and nowt better to do since 2015.

Comment

• Got two pints of John Smiths in Northern Way for £3 -something. Very impressed with its lay out and couldn't believe how much bigger it looks than when it was O'Neils. Tried Plau - we were met at the door by a very grumpy bouncer so the welcome wasn't great, and I was asked to remove my flat cap, which I often wear but am only ever asked to remove when entering pubs where trouble is expected ('It's so the police could recognise you on CCTV if you cause trouble', the bouncers tell me) and the narrowness of the place as you go in means you have to squeeze past other folk straight away (some of whom needed more than one 'excuse me, mate') before reluctantly shifting to allow us to get past them up to the first bar. Plenty of different beers available but preferred the cheapness of the John Smiths and footy on tv in Northern Way. Left Plau without buying a drink when we saw the prices and headed off down Friargate to the Black Bull.
                                Last edited by Dirty Harry; 08-12-2018, 09:32 AM.
                                Dirty Harry. Spouting shite and nowt better to do since 2015.

Comment

Working...
                                X