No announcement yet.

Driving down Fishergate ???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People just dont want to change their habits and somehow think that their one car doesnt impact on the whole. My daughter works in central manchester and the traffic going to work is horrendous. Shes now using the park and ride on the guided busway from tyldesley. Costs just over 2 quid a day, saves on both petrol stuck in traffic, time and central manchester parking charges. Even as an NHS worker she still has to pay to park at the hospital where she works.

The sad thing, though, further down the same route theres another park and ride which is barely ever a quarter full.
    "The gig economy is nothing new, its simply the reincarnation of an ancient evil."

Justin Welby

Comment

• Bollocks, I used that route when collecting my takeaway pizza.
      dp/1853677280 Th
      Heal the world, make it a better place, for you and for preach and the entire human race

Comment

• Originally posted by raefil View Post
        may be in a minority of one but i like the fact fishergate is basically pedestrianised. Hopefully, eventually, no buses or Taxis either.
        Yep, I've said before on here it should be fully pedestrianised. Most decent (and much more pleasant) city centres around the country do not have cars/big buses piling down the main shopping street. It doesn't need to be like that.

Also agree with others about why so many drive through anyway, don't get it. The set-up in Preston could be better but there has to be a mentality change from driving through a city centre on your own in a car and then moaning about the traffic. For most people there's no need to do it. Park outside and walk for 5-10 minutes or get the bus. If we ever do get a few tram lines I would hope folk would actually use that too to head into town.

Comment

• Working in town and driving became a near impossibility with Fishergate being closed off. It meant that everyone wanting to get out of town was forced through Avenham and it was taking at least an hour to get back to Fulwood every single day which is ridiculous.

I no longer drive into town as it was just as quick to walk so I do that now, but I hope that the Lune Street experiment works for the sake of people who live in Penwortham and that side of town.

Comment

• Just seen the new road to take the traffic out of St Georges.

Well done to the council for taking vehicles straight to the city ring road, and with just a little bit more thought they could have allowed people to travel in either direction on the city's main arterial road!

Why oh why didn't they turn Fleet street into two way with lights at the main junction allowing you to turn in any direction you wanted? Plonkers
            Bald and proud

Comment

• does this new road come out on to the junction of Friargate and the ring road at the side of that chinese buffet place? If it does, it will be fun getting out of town with those lights, they only change after the other 3 sets have gone twice, unless they have sorted them out. I too thought Fleet Street would have been the better option myself.

Comment

• Originally posted by Waddie View Post
                Just seen the new road to take the traffic out of St Georges.

Well done to the council for taking vehicles straight to the city ring road, and with just a little bit more thought they could have allowed people to travel in either direction on the city's main arterial road!

Why oh why didn't they turn Fleet street into two way with lights at the main junction allowing you to turn in any direction you wanted? Plonkers
                Was very confused when I saw what had been done. As you've mentioned, I was expecting Fleet Street to become 2-way and be added to the traffic lights at Ringway.

I can only assume the plan is to direct people going to Penwortham, Ashton, Fulwood etc that way and those heading towards WLD, Brig, the M6 etc through Avenham and Frenchwood.

As for the cameras it seems the four sets of signs still isn't stopping people from going past Theatre Street between 11am-6pm!

Comment

• It comes out the other side of the public hall (or whatever it's called). basically the public hall is an island with Fleet St on one side and the new road at the other. You come out of the car park and turn right onto Lune St (formally one way) but instead of bearing left into Fleet St you turn right, as if going into the mobility place (if it's still there), obviously crossing the traffic coming along Fleet St, and joining the new section just at the other side of the public hall and only allowed to turn left onto the ring road.

At present there is a no U turn sign at the ring road, corporation st lights, so you can easily get south of the river or towards Lea, and awkwardly everywhere else!
                  Bald and proud

Comment

• Originally posted by Waddie View Post
                    Just seen the new road to take the traffic out of St Georges.

Is the corner at the bottom of Lune Street wide enough to cope with cars coming from the car park and those coming up Lune Street from the ring road? I think it's been said previously that it isn't. It does seem a tight turn so perhaps not. Do buses still come up Lune Street?

Comment

• Originally posted by Tino View Post
                      Is the corner at the bottom of Lune Street wide enough to cope with cars coming from the car park and those coming up Lune Street from the ring road? I think it's been said previously that it isn't. It does seem a tight turn so perhaps not. Do buses still come up Lune Street?
                      After negotiating the hairpins of the car park I dont think that a sharp bend would pose any problem. Didn't it used to be two way?

If Fleet street stays one way then only one lane of it can be used anyway as at the bend it will be 2 way
                      Bald and proud

Comment

Working...
                      X