Northern rail and penalty charges.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northern rail and penalty charges.

A friend of mine appears to have been given a penalty charge incorrectly, with the follow up details falsified and her signature forged in prosecution details by the Northernrail staff.

It was for a journey from Preston to Manchester.

Itís like parking tickets where they emphasise you will have to pay court costs and a large fine, but hey ho if you send us £100 now the case is closed, frightening most people into taking this course.

Anyone else experienced similar issues or is this a one off.

Originally posted by europne View Post
    A friend of mine appears to have been given a penalty charge incorrectly, with the follow up details falsified and her signature forged in prosecution details by the Northernrail staff.

It’s like parking tickets where they emphasise you will have to pay court costs and a large fine, but hey ho if you send us £100 now the case is closed, frightening most people into taking this course.

I have lost faith in trusting businesses, a lot
    are just after what they can get out of you, and
    customer service. (I'm sure that there are some
    honest ones too)

https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads...-notice.91741/

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker View Post
      I have lost faith in trusting businesses, a lot
      are just after what they can get out of you, and
      customer service. (I'm sure that there are some
      honest ones too)

https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads...-notice.91741/
      Yeah this customer service team knows its priorities

No help whatsoever to the customer
      And no apology for the inconvenience caused:

"The balance outstanding is £82.60 and must be paid by 31 October 2013.
      If you wish to discuss payment options please telephone the payments team
      on 0845 434 8272, lines are open Monday to Friday 9am to 4pm.

IRCAS Customer Services Team"

The business mantra used to be - THE CUSTOMER COMES FIRST
      Now a lot of it is get as much as you can from as many as you can

In other words A lot of business are a bit disgusting these days.
      Not realy what i'd want in control of democracy.
      Last edited by Hitchhiker; 30-11-2017, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker View Post
        Yeah this customer service team knows its priorities

No help whatsoever to the customer
        And no apology for the inconvenience caused:

"The balance outstanding is £82.60 and must be paid by 31 October 2013.
        If you wish to discuss payment options please telephone the payments team
        on 0845 434 8272, lines are open Monday to Friday 9am to 4pm.

IRCAS Customer Services Team"

The business mantra used to be - THE CUSTOMER COMES FIRST
        Now a lot of it is get as much as you can from as many as you can

In other words A lot of business a bit disgusting these days.
        Not realy what i'd want in control of democracy.
        I've had a few dealings with various companies recently and all massive ones and their customer service is by and large terrible and I've come to the conclusion that actually no one really cares anymore. It's maybe not entirely the fault of the individual as they have scripts to follow but when there's a clear issue with a tablet telling me turn my wifi off and on again isn't going to solve anything.

A lot of them can't even do the simple thing of ensuring there is a good telephone connection and one lady I was speaking to the other night was clearly doing it from her kitchen with her kids crashing around in the background.

Comment

Originally posted by Tino View Post
          I've had a few dealings with various companies recently and all massive ones and their customer service is by and large terrible and I've come to the conclusion that actually no one really cares anymore. It's maybe not entirely the fault of the individual as they have scripts to follow but when there's a clear issue with a tablet telling me turn my wifi off and on again isn't going to solve anything.

A lot of them can't even do the simple thing of ensuring there is a good telephone connection and one lady I was speaking to the other night was clearly doing it from her kitchen with her kids crashing around in the background.
          Yes i've had problems with vodafone and parcelforce in recent times- both cring'y "customer service"
          I really don't trust a lot of business - its all grab, grab, grab

Comment

The age of communication, where you can’t speak to anyone!

Comment

“We are experiencing a very high number of calls and all our agents are busy”

Really should say....

“We apologise to customers but as mean bastards we don’t have enough staff to deal with you so you will just have to bloody wait, however your business is important to us, scum”

Comment

“We are experiencing a very high number of calls and all our agents are busy”

Really should say....

“We apologise to customers but as mean bastards we don’t have enough staff to deal with you so you will just have to bloody wait, however your business is important to us, scum”
                Try dealing with those c***s at Ryanair....

Comment

I hate to be positive for once, but i've actually got to praise a company for customer service - Ikea.

So me and the missus have moved into a new house and she's buying stuff and getting the place sorted. She ordered ~800 worth of stuff from Ikea, including a wardrobe for our sons bedroom. She spent 1/2 day building it before realising it was too big and had a design flaw - to put the back panel in needed 2x the height of the thing, which was enormous anyway. So she rang them the next day and asked if they'd take it back minus a fee obviously.

1. The guy on the phone had a pdf of the unit (!) and agreed the design was bad
                  2. He suggested a better bit of kit for teenagers which was modular and therefore you could add to it as he got older
                  3. They took it away 2 days later, free
                  4. He pointed out she didn't buy it with their 'family card' (which gives insurance on building) but when she said I had one he added it anyway

It's sad I actually think customer service like that is exemplary, but it is. Ikea are awesome at customer service.

Comment

That's it sorted then - let Ikea privatize the health service

I bet they'd do a good job

Comment

Originally posted by sofaofthedamned View Post
                      Ikea are awesome at customer service.
                      Sounds like you had a good experience but ive had awful customer service from Ikea in the past, i ordered some items a few years ago, one of the items was missing from the delivery, after spending over an hour on hold trying to get through to someone they advised they'd deliver it the following week, i waited in all day and no delivery, again spent an hour on the phone to be told there was no record of the original conversation and the item hadn't been re-ordered, this happened 3 times before i finally cancelled the order and went into the store to collect it myself

Having said that, i used to work in customer service and it can be difficult dealing with customers who always think they are the most important customer or their issue is the highest priority, the people who work in customer service do the best job they can, its just the companies who have stupid rules and procedures that make life hell for the customers and the staff who have to listen to their complaints.

Comment

Itís like parking tickets where they emphasise you will have to pay court costs and a large fine, but hey ho if you send us £100 now the case is closed, frightening most people into taking this course.

I canít comment on the specific issue you make reference to, although I can well believe what you say.

On a personal note. Iím quite happy to state that Northern Rail are an absolute disgrace of an organisation.

They couldnít give a stuff about their customers.

At Preston station, and many other main line routes, they have absolutely no Managerial representation.

Youíre left to deal with the friendly named ďrevenue protection officersĒ who are actually employed by G4S.

In fact the customer service centre is outsourced, as well.

The rolling stock is a bloody joke.

It took me 10 weeks to get a refund off them for a trip to Manchester.

I could go one but I think Iíve ranted enough.

Northern Fail would be a more appropriate name!

Comment

Originally posted by giro View Post
                          I can’t comment on the specific issue you make reference to, although I can well believe what you say.

On a personal note. I’m quite happy to state that Northern Rail are an absolute disgrace of an organisation.

They couldn’t give a stuff about their customers.

At Preston station, and many other main line routes, they have absolutely no Managerial representation.

You’re left to deal with the friendly named “revenue protection officers” who are actually employed by G4S.

In fact the customer service centre is outsourced, as well.

The rolling stock is a bloody joke.

It took me 10 weeks to get a refund off them for a trip to Manchester.

I could go one but I think I’ve ranted enough.

Northern Fail would be a more appropriate name!
                          It’s worse !!!!

I wonder how many more people have been done like this.

Friend of mine got a train Preston to Manchester, asked staff if it was ok to get on the train without a ticket, they said no problem get on the train. The train had come from Scotland and was so crowded there was no chance of getting a ticket on the train, when she got of at Piccadilly she purchased a return ticket to Preston. She was then approached by a plain clothes Northern Rail employee who accused her of travelling without a ticket, she showed her tickets, but the person still took her details, she produced her photo driving licence for identification, with her signature on it.

Several weeks later she received details saying she would be prosecuted, and asking her for details of what happened. She wrote back explaining she had purchased a ticket etc. And thought that would be the end of it.

Several weeks later she received a summons to go to court to be prosecuted for travelling from Wigan, and that in the prosecution details the investigator said she had purchased a ticket from Oxford Rd to evade paying the fare, which she said she had made her sign on the back , and then supposedly took this as evidence, which NEVER happened.

The summons also said how much she would be possibly be fined, all bully and scare tactics, BUT, if she paid £100, plus the £4 fare from Wigan they would drop the case. I saw a solicitor friend of mine who advised her to fight the case, as I did, but the thought of going to court was too scary for her and she paid the fine, as many people would.

The signature on the back of the ticket she supposedly bought was forged, and the story about travelling from Wigan made up by the investigator.

How many others have been scammed like this, or is this a one off?

Comment

It’s worse !!!!

Friend of mine got a train Preston to Manchester, asked staff if it was ok to get on the train without a ticket, they said no problem get on the train. The train had come from Scotland and was so crowded there was no chance of getting a ticket on the train, when she got of at Piccadilly she purchased a return ticket to Preston. She was then approached by a plain clothes Northern Rail employee who accused her of travelling without a ticket, she showed her tickets, but the person still took her details, she produced her photo driving licence for identification, with her signature on it.

Several weeks later she received details saying she would be prosecuted, and asking her for details of what happened. She wrote back explaining she had purchased a ticket etc. And thought that would be the end of it.

Several weeks later she received a summons to go to court to be prosecuted for travelling from Wigan, and that in the prosecution details the investigator said she had purchased a ticket from Oxford Rd to evade paying the fare, which she said she had made her sign on the back , and then supposedly took this as evidence, which NEVER happened.

The summons also said how much she would be possibly be fined, all bully and scare tactics, BUT, if she paid £100, plus the £4 fare from Wigan they would drop the case. I saw a solicitor friend of mine who advised her to fight the case, as I did, but the thought of going to court was too scary for her and she paid the fine, as many people would.

The signature on the back of the ticket she supposedly bought was forged, and the story about travelling from Wigan made up by the investigator.

It’s worse !!!!

Doesn’t surprise me in the slightest.

I regularly have to travel from Preston, at short notice. Got to the Station, but couldn’t buy a ticket because the ticketing system had a glitch. I was told by the Ticket Office to pay on the train. Explained this to the “Revenue protection officer” aka The Bridge Gestapo, and was let through. About a minute later, as the train was pulling into the station, one of the gorillas walked onto the platform and said I’d lied to them because the ticket system was working. I pointed out that it may be working now, but it wasn’t 2 mins ago. He decided to call the police because he didn’t believe me. The upshot was I missed the train. The policewomen told me she was trying to help me. I pointed out the only thing she’d done was to help me miss the train!

Northern Rail couldn’t give a toss!

Never thought I say it, Nationalising the railways seems like the best option!

Comment

Originally posted by giro View Post
                              Doesn’t surprise me in the slightest.

I regularly have to travel from Preston, at short notice. Got to the Station, but couldn’t buy a ticket because the ticketing system had a glitch. I was told by the Ticket Office to pay on the train. Explained this to the “Revenue protection officer” aka The Bridge Gestapo, and was let through. About a minute later, as the train was pulling into the station, one of the gorillas walked onto the platform and said I’d lied to them because the ticket system was working. I pointed out that it may be working now, but it wasn’t 2 mins ago. He decided to call the police because he didn’t believe me. The upshot was I missed the train. The policewomen told me she was trying to help me. I pointed out the only thing she’d done was to help me miss the train!

Northern Rail couldn’t give a toss!

Never thought I say it, Nationalising the railways seems like the best option!
                              Yes i've heard the Revenue Protection Officer crap
                              Not a Ticket Inspector anymore - more Bollocks PC.

This company sounds bent. (Lost in greed)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-42283561

Comment

Working...
                              X