Controversial Appointment of Lancashire Chief Executive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Controversial Appointment of Lancashire Chief Executive

Lancashire County Council’s Labour Group recently refused to take part in the controversial appointment of a new Chief Executive of the council by the Conservative administration.

The £200,000 a year post has only received one applicant – the current interim Chief Executive. The Conservative-run council had received multiple warnings that the new management structure was poor and would result in a very limited applicant field, as the role merges the jobs of both the Chief Executive and the Section 151 Officer.

The Chief Executive post became vacant following the controversial restructuring of the senior management team by the Conservatives. The initial management proposals were drawn up following a series of Conservative proposals which had to be withdrawn twice as they were illegal.

Cllr Azhar Ali, Leader of the Labour Group, said: "The Conservative Administration has dug themselves into a very deep hole to bury their shifty and shabby shenanigans. This new structure was supposed to save money but this has resulted in serious problems in recruiting senior managers.”

He added: "As there is only one person on the short list, it’s clear that they will get the job. We do not blame the current interim Chief Executive for this as they are being handed this position on a plate This is a very well paid position, with extras on top, in the 3rd largest authority in the country. The fact only one applicant has come forward and happens to be the interim Chief Executive speaks volumes as to the chaotic reputation of the council."

Whilst some may find it highly surprising that only person applied for the well-paid position, as Cllr Ali stated, it is reflective of the wide-held opinions of Lancashire County Council and its leadership at this current time.

Row at Lancashire County Council as £200k job has one applicant

A row has broken out at a council after only one person applied to be the authority's £200,000-a-year chief executive.

Angie Ridgwell, who has been doing the job at Lancashire County Council on a temporary basis for almost a year, is the only applicant, it has emerged.

Her predecessor Jo Turton left in a management shake-up last year.

The Labour opposition has quit its part in the appointments process in protest at an absence of external applicants.

However, the Conservative council's leader Geoff Driver dismissed the move as an "irresponsible and entirely pointless gesture".

Labour group deputy leader John Fillis said: "This is a £200,000 job, with extras on top, yet only one person has applied from the whole of the country.

"What does that say about the reputation of this council?"

'Serious financial mess'

The post has a salary at least £50,000 more than the Prime Minister is paid.

Last year's restructure of the authority's most senior staff, saw the chief executive role merged with the head of finance, a post known as the section 151 officer.

Ms Ridgwell took up the job on an interim basis for 12 months in January.

Mr Driver admitted the structure at County Hall was "not common" among other councils, but claimed it was the only way of getting the authority out of the "serious financial mess" it was in when the Conservatives retook control in May 2017.

Last week it was revealed that the council's financial position was "at a tipping point", according to its auditors.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-45484814
    "The gig economy is nothing new, its simply the reincarnation of an ancient evil."

Justin Welby

Originally posted by raefil View Post
    Lancashire County Council’s Labour Group recently refused to take part in the controversial appointment of a new Chief Executive of the council by the Conservative administration.

The £200,000 a year post has only received one applicant – the current interim Chief Executive. The Conservative-run council had received multiple warnings that the new management structure was poor and would result in a very limited applicant field, as the role merges the jobs of both the Chief Executive and the Section 151 Officer.

The Chief Executive post became vacant following the controversial restructuring of the senior management team by the Conservatives. The initial management proposals were drawn up following a series of Conservative proposals which had to be withdrawn twice as they were illegal.

Cllr Azhar Ali, Leader of the Labour Group, said: "The Conservative Administration has dug themselves into a very deep hole to bury their shifty and shabby shenanigans. This new structure was supposed to save money but this has resulted in serious problems in recruiting senior managers.”

He added: "As there is only one person on the short list, it’s clear that they will get the job. We do not blame the current interim Chief Executive for this as they are being handed this position on a plate This is a very well paid position, with extras on top, in the 3rd largest authority in the country. The fact only one applicant has come forward and happens to be the interim Chief Executive speaks volumes as to the chaotic reputation of the council."

Whilst some may find it highly surprising that only person applied for the well-paid position, as Cllr Ali stated, it is reflective of the wide-held opinions of Lancashire County Council and its leadership at this current time.

Row at Lancashire County Council as £200k job has one applicant

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-45484814

Could you give me a " Janet and John " version of why only one has applied?...... I know all about carve ups,nepotism and jobs for the boys/girls... and nothing surprises me anymore but only one applicant for a 200k a year job would surely attract hundreds of useless wankers?........... I'm guessing that it's limited to " internal" applicants only which I honestly thought was illegal...
    Vote For John Brown

Comment

Originally posted by Liberation View Post
      Could you give me a " Janet and John " version of why only one has applied?...... I know all about carve ups,nepotism and jobs for the boys/girls... and nothing surprises me anymore but only one applicant for a 200k a year job would surely attract hundreds of useless wankers?........... I'm guessing that it's limited to " internal" applicants only which I honestly thought was illegal...
      Im sure that our friend Andy Saville will be along later to defend his chums and give a full explanation.
      "The gig economy is nothing new, its simply the reincarnation of an ancient evil."

Justin Welby

Comment

It's probably to do with the Person Specification being at such a level that very few people would be able to apply. Also, internal advertising is absolutely not illegal...
        Last edited by Mooney; 09-10-2018, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mooney View Post
          It's probably to do with the Person Specification being at such a level that very few people would be able to apply. Also, internal advertising is absolutely not illegal...

Cheers for that, you're obviously correct and I was mixing up moral with legal.............. I will say however that when it's a publicly paid position then it bloody well should be illegal if they limit the scope to internal only. If Joe Public are paying the wages then the very least we should expect is transparency and an attempt to find the best possible candidate ( even if those choosing carve it up in the end )... I've never heard of " personal specification " but it smells of corruption. Are we seriously suggesting that only one person is qualified to become CE of the LCC?
          Vote For John Brown

Comment

Cheers for that, you're obviously correct and I was mixing up moral with legal.............. I will say however that when it's a publicly paid position then it bloody well should be illegal if they limit the scope to internal only. If Joe Public are paying the wages then the very least we should expect is transparency and an attempt to find the best possible candidate ( even if those choosing carve it up in the end )... I've never heard of " personal specification " but it smells of corruption. Are we seriously suggesting that only one person is qualified to become CE of the LCC?
            Person specs define what skills, knowledge etc etc a candidate needs for a job....they go alongside job descriptions. Nothing sinister

Comment

Originally posted by PNEESSEX View Post
              Person specs define what skills, knowledge etc etc a candidate needs for a job....they go alongside job descriptions. Nothing sinister

Even though it's perfectly possible to write them for a particular candidate?
              Vote For John Brown

Comment

Even though it's perfectly possible to write them for a particular candidate?
                That would be sinister.....someone in HR should have stopped them had that been the case

Comment

That would be sinister.....someone in HR should have stopped them had that been the case

You haven't commented on the op yet.. ie.. Only one candidate for a 200k a year position. Thoughts?
                  Vote For John Brown

Comment

You haven't commented on the op yet.. ie.. Only one candidate for a 200k a year position. Thoughts?
                    It's a scandal.

Comment

It's a scandal.
                      I think it's funny.... And nothing more or less than goes on in the corridors of power day after day and year after year... This one just happens to be highlighted.

There's one good thing, as this person is perfectly suited to the job then we can expect perfectly delivered results... Win Win !
                      Vote For John Brown

Comment

Working...
                      X