Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Avid readers, show some spine and share your covers .....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PNEESSEX View Post
    Haven't read either of them,,but I shall.

I was reading Operation Mincemeat sitting in the beach about 800m away from where the body washed up! His grave is in Huelva.
    You can gladly have my hardback copy of Agent Zigzag - PM if you want me to dispatch it fella.

Comment

Anything by Anthony Beevor.....currently reading his latest on Arnhem. Probably the best military history writer of the last 30 years.

Also just finished Operation Mincemeat which is the story of the man who never was.
      Thats on the list

Comment

Originally posted by marsbars View Post
        Thats on the list
        It's a really good book...highly recommended. I read his book on D day a couple of weeks or so back. That was very hard going, but really excellent. In fact I've read all of his books and they're all, without exception, worth a read. He has a pleasing narrative style and presents facts and his interpretations in a very accessible and authoritative way.

Comment

For those who like detective novels, anything by Anne Cleeves (Shetland tv series was based on her novels) is a good, easy read. Likewise Peter Robnson (DCI banks) is good for a beach read.

Comment

It's a really good book...highly recommended. I read his book on D day a couple of weeks or so back. That was very hard going, but really excellent. In fact I've read all of his books and they're all, without exception, worth a read. He has a pleasing narrative style and presents facts and his interpretations in a very accessible and authoritative way.
            Sounds good, will give it a try

Can I message you if there's any big words?

Comment

Sounds good, will give it a try

Can I message you if there's any big words?
              Fret not, it has pictures (well photos, diagrams and maps)

Comment

Fret not, it has pictures (well photos, diagrams and maps)
                ha ha ..

I remember years ago enjoying a bit of Deighton Cold War espionage type stuff ... Game set and match ... then he did some more serious military books, they were great

Comment

Originally posted by pnematic View Post
                  Read all those pal - Agent Zigzag is absolutely outstanding.
                  Haven't read either of them,,but I shall.

I was reading Operation Mincemeat sitting in the beach about 800m away from where the body washed up! His grave is in Huelva.
                  Mind boggling operation!!

Have either of you read Macintyre's book about Kim Philby 'A Spy Among Friends'? Eye opening and what a real twat Philby was!
                  Clean Sheets Win Championships. UP THE NOBBERS & CURRY POWER.

Comment

Yep - another gripping read, Philby and his cronies did untold damage. Guy Burgess was a particularly odious individual - but of course they couldn't be spies , Eton , Cambridge , Establishment , you know............

I ve just finished Macintyres " The Napoleon of Crime " , needless to say ............... excellent again.

Comment

Originally posted by Sid Snot View Post
                      Mind boggling operation!!

Have either of you read Macintyre's book about Kim Philby 'A Spy Among Friends'? Eye opening and what a real twat Philby was!
                      No I haven't; another for the list

Comment

Originally posted by pnematic View Post
                        Yep - another gripping read, Philby and his cronies did untold damage. Guy Burgess was a particularly odious individual - **but of course they couldn't be spies , Eton , Cambridge , Establishment , you know............

I ve just finished Macintyres " The Napoleon of Crime " , needless to say ............... excellent again.
                        Should have arrived by the time we get back here on the 24th !

**Must have been great going for a job interview at Epsom races!!
                        Clean Sheets Win Championships. UP THE NOBBERS & CURRY POWER.

Comment

It is indeed and the first one I've ever read of his!
                          Loads of great Steven King books mate. Fire starter, Carrie, Tommy Knockers, Cell, Misery.

All great reads.

Look for the Dark Tower series, they are something different. A bit like a post apocalyptic western. Superb.
                          Raefil, He's the second best moderator this forum has ever had, closely behind Nobber.

Comment

Originally posted by Nobber View Post
                            Loads of great Steven King books mate. Fire starter, Carrie, Tommy Knockers, Cell, Misery.

All great reads.

Look for the Dark Tower series, they are something different. A bit like a post apocalyptic western. Superb.
                            I was under the misconception that he only wrote 'horror' which I'm not into ....... I stand corrected .......

Watched Dark Tower .... it was pants

Comment

I was under the misconception that he only wrote 'horror' which I'm not into ....... I stand corrected .......

Watched Dark Tower .... it was pants
                              The film was shite.

The books were great.......long time since I read them though!
                              Raefil, He's the second best moderator this forum has ever had, closely behind Nobber.

Comment

Currently reading Last Hope Island by Lynne Olson.

Nonfiction WW2 which looks at the often forgotten activities of defeated nations leaders and citizens that escaped to Britain before the occupation of their own countries. Also how Resistance groups were orchestrated from these shores by those exiles. Not forgetting the multi national RAF and the ferocious Czech and Polish Squadrons.

Fascinating and highly recommended.

Comment

Working...
                                X