No announcement yet.

Teenage depression

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After going through anxiety, depression and suicide issues with my son, I think you might be surprised at the support and empathy you can get from friends and workmates. We originally tried to keep everything to ourselves about his problems, but then realised that's still the reason there is a stigma surrounding mental health. After opening up to others, I was amazed at the number of people who had friends and relatives who had gone through exactly the same, which gave us lots of support.
    He was fortunate that he developed a good rapport with his counselor, and like Paddy says, after he developed the confidence to open up to her, she provided him with some of the tools, which together with medication, helps him cope.
    Three years later, he still is on medication but is now mentally in a much better place, and improving. So don't lose hope and all the best.

Comment

Only just seen this post, so sorry for late reply. I'll post a more thorough response later but two important points. Support your daughter as you have been doing, it's wonderful for the kids to know you're there. Secondly as others have said, try different counsellors. The "therapeutic alliance" is key.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      x
      Working...
      X