Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Euthanasia - Dignity to die or a Step to far? (Mental Health)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Euthanasia - Dignity to die or a Step to far? (Mental Health)

Simple question, Should it be allowed or not?

This is my take on it, taken from my facebook, Article to the case t the bottom.

This is a pretty sad story, but I would love to follow what she has done. We never know the future, we never know if life will get better or worse. Sometime's wrong choices, life events leave life not worth living (we not talking those that have taken drugs, they knew the risks, we talking those that life has dealt them a pretty shit hand and keeps slapping them down when they try to get up.).

Some people are being dragged a long by a society that wants to care, but doesn't know how to. It doesn't understand the feelings deep inside. when your torn between life and death, when you want to go in a dignified way out, but it's not an option, so your left being a burden on Family, friends, the NHS. When you know there are quick ways of going but you know that way will lead to someone being placed in the same boat as you. It's time to break the Cycle, it's time to give us the choice.

Yes it's hard, yes it's emotional, yes mistakes will be made, but with Dignity is how we would all like to go. No this is not a suicide note, this is expressing my feelings and opening up to debate. It's a debate worth having even if don't bring about the change, it should open up people eyes to mental health, PTSD, life events trauma and a like.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-45117163

(also remember not everyone with Mental Health is looking for a way out, some are looking to continue the fight. Mental health is often invisible, but those suffering suffer it 24/7 they don't get a break)
    3 Butter Pies and a coke please : D

Originally posted by FootballcrazyP_ View Post
    Simple question, Should it be allowed or not?

This is my take on it, taken from my facebook, Article to the case t the bottom.

This is a pretty sad story, but I would love to follow what she has done. We never know the future, we never know if life will get better or worse. Sometime's wrong choices, life events leave life not worth living (we not talking those that have taken drugs, they knew the risks, we talking those that life has dealt them a pretty shit hand and keeps slapping them down when they try to get up.).

Some people are being dragged a long by a society that wants to care, but doesn't know how to. It doesn't understand the feelings deep inside. when your torn between life and death, when you want to go in a dignified way out, but it's not an option, so your left being a burden on Family, friends, the NHS. When you know there are quick ways of going but you know that way will lead to someone being placed in the same boat as you. It's time to break the Cycle, it's time to give us the choice.

Yes it's hard, yes it's emotional, yes mistakes will be made, but with Dignity is how we would all like to go. No this is not a suicide note, this is expressing my feelings and opening up to debate. It's a debate worth having even if don't bring about the change, it should open up people eyes to mental health, PTSD, life events trauma and a like.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-45117163

(also remember not everyone with Mental Health is looking for a way out, some are looking to continue the fight. Mental health is often invisible, but those suffering suffer it 24/7 they don't get a break)

Yes... If you are in constant pain, can't persue anything like a normal life and there is no cure for what you have, then I would be in agreement........ Unfortunately I'd also add as a requirement: " If you are of sound mind "..And that ones where it's always going to be contentious if mental health ( especially depression ) is involved......That's only my opinion because you asked and I'm in no way qualified to make any such judgement.

I believe euthanasia should be allowed to end suffering but then one could argue that a mental health sufferer is physically able in all other ways but yet suffers every day. Glad it's not my decission to make that's for sure.
    Vote For John Brown

Comment

It goes against medical/nursing ethics so I suppose I think its a decision for society to make not health professionals. Personally I feel that if a person has capacity to make this decision then it should be respected but it does get very complicated if there are psychiatric conditions evident before/during/after the decision was made. I agree with Libs it's a bloody difficult and emotive subject. God knows how it could ever be implemented.

Comment

Originally posted by marsbars View Post
        It goes against medical/nursing ethics so I suppose I think its a decision for society to make not health professionals. Personally I feel that if a person has capacity to make this decision then it should be respected but it does get very complicated if there are psychiatric conditions evident before/during/after the decision was made. I agree with Libs it's a bloody difficult and emotive subject. God knows how it could ever be implemented.
        2 years ago I had to have my 14 year old dog put to sleep. That was the hardest decision ever, goodness knows how it would feel for someone to have to make that decision for a loved one. Even now I wonder if If I should have let him live a little longer and whether he might have pulled through. Imagine the emotions if that were a human?

Im with you and libs, its a difficult and emotive situation that I hope and pray I never find myself in.
        "The gig economy is nothing new, its simply the reincarnation of an ancient evil."

Justin Welby

Comment

I guess with mental health, unlike something physical ( cancer etc ) there would always be that hope that things could be turned around.

I was very surprised when I read the article that euthanasia is allowed in Holland in such instances....

Comment

For me only for terminal illnesses, and the patient should be the one to make the decision and take the fatal dose. May seem harsh, but I worry we end up on a slippery slope, where people are bumped off because they are old and have long term conditions that means they have a hospital bed longer than is deemed necessary.

Comment

I can see a case for dignified euthanasia in some cases. I wouldn't like to be the one to draw up the guidelines but for sure, that 29 year old woman would NEVER fit my criteria and I find it disgusting that the Dutch state sanctioned her to be euthanised.

On a (controversial?) philosophical point, I do think we're in danger of spending too much of society's precious resources on "pointlessly" extending the lives of people, using advanced and expensive medical techniques.

For example, sometimes people are kept in a vegetative state for years. From my (dispassionate) viewpoint, the huge amount of money spent treating those people would be better spent on education, social services etc. Heaven forbid that I should ever have a family member in that situation, and I cannot know how I'd feel then.

Comment

After post this today I went out and witnessed what can only be described as fucking awful scene's. Walking out of Tesco's Pitsea to hear a almighty thud. Never heard anything like it. I didn't know what it was, within a minutes, Ambulance, Fire Service and Police everywhere. A Man jumped from the A13 on on coming Traffic. Horrible. Considering what I felt this morning, it was like I had been taken to see what happens after you do something like this. The Police officer in tears, Fire Service and Ambulance staff doing everything they could despite everything going on. When I say awful I saw first hand how it affects those that have have to deal with it. I never expected that (stupid to say no one would) but the way today unfolded was not good. One thing I am certain, if I get the option to do what this Lady did, That is my way. I can't do that to NHS, fireservice and Police and public. The Guy was Airlifted to Hospital, I'll be honest I dunno how he would survive, but if he does, then I dunno.

To night I have got absolutely hammered, 24 Carling and a small bottle of Vodka, I needed it, blasting tunes into my ears. The amount of People taking their lives down here is high, it was only a matter of time I was going to be close to one. I been on trains but not seen what I saw today. We really need to reconsider mental health, because there was up to 30 people directly involved in the aftermath and all them will be affected. They did an amazing job, quick on the scene, it was well drilled operation, in minutes they was there, roads closed, everyone working together, no one shouting instructions, everyone just knew what they was doing. That is either serious training or they have dealt with it way to many times. Luckily this was in the summer and a very wet day, because it next to a school and right in front of Tesco's.

It's controversial, but I am now stronger in my belief of above. Not about saving money, it's bout stopping the cycle, we don't know how many of those that saw or was involved today will now need help, I was in shock I didn't see him jump or him hit the floor I heard it and it's not a nice sound.
                http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/1640...r/?ref=mr&lp=3

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/1640...t/?ref=mr&lp=6

What I will say there is no walk way on that stretch of A13, there is a massive fence, he did not fall unless he was climbing the outside like siderman, there is nothing to grip onto. Waiting for the Bus, the Police where testing climbing the fence, didn't look easy.

I feel for them, his family and him. Thank you to those that was so quick.

Comment

Shocking FC. You need to find a way to it behind you.

x

Comment

Interesting aside ( but connected to this subject )............. Hands up all those who have days/weeks where they feel down,worry about everything and think everythings going wrong and can't see a way out?..........And then have days/weeks where you have the very same problems yet don't give a tom tit and don't give them a second thought? I certainly do but I'm dam sure I don't have mental health issues, I just assume it's normal... Why does it happen for no apparent reason though?.......

Multiply those feelings by a factor of 5 or 10 and I can understand why some folk get suicidal...Maybe most of us aren't that far away from having serious issues..Weird thing is the brain.
                    Vote For John Brown

Comment

Originally posted by Liberation View Post
                      Interesting aside ( but connected to this subject )............. Hands up all those who have days/weeks where they feel down,worry about everything and think everythings going wrong and can't see a way out?..........And then have days/weeks where you have the very same problems yet don't give a tom tit and don't give them a second thought? I certainly do but I'm dam sure I don't have mental health issues, I just assume it's normal... Why does it happen for no apparent reason though?.......

Multiply those feelings by a factor of 5 or 10 and I can understand why some folk get suicidal...Maybe most of us aren't that far away from having serious issues..Weird thing is the brain.
                      I see what your saying, but we are talking about repeat attempts, about people that have no chance of a decent future. people have have suffered for years. It's not about just walking in and getting an injection. There are processes, legal lines to be done. We talking about people being able to decide instead of having to put people through the hell of picking up the mess. Trust me its really hard to try and take your own life, it's never a spare of the moment, I know I have tried and failed. But if I could choose to go without suffering, without putting people through hell, I would choose that. Mental Health has many depths, people should not be allowed to walk in on the street, people should not be offered it, we talking about people that want to go doing it peacefully and at a time of their choosing. People on masses amount of meds, people in and out of Mental health and A&E etc.

Comment

Originally posted by FootballcrazyP_ View Post
                        I see what your saying, but we are talking about repeat attempts, about people that have no chance of a decent future. people have have suffered for years. It's not about just walking in and getting an injection. There are processes, legal lines to be done. We talking about people being able to decide instead of having to put people through the hell of picking up the mess. Trust me its really hard to try and take your own life, it's never a spare of the moment, I know I have tried and failed. But if I could choose to go without suffering, without putting people through hell, I would choose that. Mental Health has many depths, people should not be allowed to walk in on the street, people should not be offered it, we talking about people that want to go doing it peacefully and at a time of their choosing. People on masses amount of meds, people in and out of Mental health and A&E etc.

I think I understand what you're saying and I couldn't possibly disagree with you because I'm not in your situation...... You're talking about a long term contract whereby you stipulate your reasons, are regularly assessed and then allowed to die peacefully at the end of the agreed term if you still felt the same way?... ( please correct me if I've misunderstood )

If you did that then there would be quite a large number of PNE supporters that would miss you dearly on the matchday thread...Maybe you don't realise how much you're appreciated..Even if it's only for a couple of hours a week...
                        Vote For John Brown

Comment

Originally posted by Liberation View Post
                          I think I understand what you're saying and I couldn't possibly disagree with you because I'm not in your situation...... You're talking about a long term contract whereby you stipulate your reasons, are regularly assessed and then allowed to die peacefully at the end of the agreed term if you still felt the same way?... ( please correct me if I've misunderstood )

If you did that then there would be quite a large number of PNE supporters that would miss you dearly on the matchday thread...Maybe you don't realise how much you're appreciated..Even if it's only for a couple of hours a week...
                          lol, maybe, but think how many Lashers would be a head of me in the Queue.

Comment

I was reading about a lad in Leeds earlier this month. Went to the hospital and begged for help. They were under staffed and couldn't find a bed for him so had to refer him back to his GP.

Threw himself in front of a car on his way home and died a few days later.

Horrific story but shows the pressure that is put on the NHS and it's impact on MH treatments

Comment

Originally posted by paddysr View Post
                              I was reading about a lad in Leeds earlier this month. Went to the hospital and begged for help. They were under staffed and couldn't find a bed for him so had to refer him back to his GP.

Threw himself in front of a car on his way home and died a few days later.

Horrific story but shows the pressure that is put on the NHS and it's impact on MH treatments

It also shows how the NHS should never be underfunded...... It's the backbone of this Country,
                              Vote For John Brown

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
                              Working...
                              X