Cancer or Depression

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cancer or Depression

As a long term sufferer, I have said many many times that I wish it was cancer I had and not depression. That may seem like a shocking or bold statement to come out with, but it is true. Many people with long term or on off depression would agree.

I was doing a bit or reading today and came across this article

https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/b...sion-is-harder

I know it talks about breast cancer but read that as any form of cancer!

I found it an interesting read.

I’ve seen both personally.

It is an interesting read, and I understand the point. Personally I think it may depend on personal experience as to which is worse.

Here’s hoping most never have to deal with either.

Hope you’re well,

Nobs.
    Raefil, He's the second best moderator this forum has ever had, closely behind Nobber.

Comment

Originally posted by Nobber View Post
      I’ve seen both personally.

It is an interesting read, and I understand the point. Personally I think it may depend on personal experience as to which is worse.

Here’s hoping most never have to deal with either.

Hope you’re well,

Nobs.
      Good caring post Nobs...

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        As a long term sufferer, I have said many many times that I wish it was cancer I had and not depression. That may seem like a shocking or bold statement to come out with, but it is true. Many people with long term or on off depression would agree.

If you honestly believe you would prefer to have cancer than your own mental health problems then it's very apparant your mental health is a serious issue. It's almost a wish for self-harm is it not? Or a wish to die? There are many different types of depression stemming from many different reasons. You know you better than anyone, so look inside, what do YOU think is the cause of your depression? Do you want to beat it? If, so, there are services to help you. Take that help
        Last edited by Unregistered; 05-10-2018, 06:20 PM.

Comment

If you're saying that if you had cancer then at least you could see an end to it all ...but with depression, you want an end but can't see one and the suffering goes on ... then you really need to take advantage of any help that you can get....Hope I've understood this correctly. If I've got this wrong then I appologise and please explain.

Just a thought...... Imagine you are a cancer sufferer that wants to live. This really isn't a scenario that works both ways round. Your thinking is that of a depressive and you need to be talking to someone....
          Vote For John Brown

Comment

If you honestly believe you would prefer to have cancer than your own mental health problems then it's very apparant your mental health is a serious issue. It's almost a wish for self-harm is it not? Or a wish to die? There are many different types of depression stemming from many different reasons. You know you better than anyone, so look inside, what do YOU think is the cause of your depression? Do you want to beat it? If, so, there are services to help you. Take that help
            I find this reply quite harsh
            Raefil, He's the second best moderator this forum has ever had, closely behind Nobber.

Comment

Agree Nobber, sounds harsh.

That sounds very much like “Pull yourself together!” ?

Comment

The OP gave a link to a form of cancer that can be treated and has a high survival rate.

Think this was a cry for help and sympathy and a wish for an alternative illness that can be seen, fought and cured, like most breast cancer caught early, and not a death wish.
                Last edited by Unregistered; 07-10-2018, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Sometimes there is no cause for it and striving for one can lead to anxiety at not being able to find one. Plenty of people go through services and come out worse the other end ,its not a no risk situation.
                  To the OP ; theres always hope pal ,keep going and hope things work out for you.

Comment

Maybe the op meant that both conditions are serious in their own right. With cancer being a disease of the body as opposed to depression of the mind, the treatment or cure would be easier to prescribe. Both illnesses are awful and need all the help available. Good luck to the op i wish you a very speedy recovery.
                    No wums please - low patience threshold

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                    Auto-Saved
                    x
                    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                    x
                    x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
                    Working...
                    X