Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cancer or Depression

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cancer or Depression

    As a long term sufferer, I have said many many times that I wish it was cancer I had and not depression. That may seem like a shocking or bold statement to come out with, but it is true. Many people with long term or on off depression would agree.

    I was doing a bit or reading today and came across this article

    https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/b...sion-is-harder

    I know it talks about breast cancer but read that as any form of cancer!

    I found it an interesting read.

  • #2
    Iíve seen both personally.

    It is an interesting read, and I understand the point. Personally I think it may depend on personal experience as to which is worse.

    Hereís hoping most never have to deal with either.

    Hope youíre well,

    Nobs.
    Raefil, He's the second best moderator this forum has ever had, closely behind Nobber.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Nobber View Post
      Iíve seen both personally.

      It is an interesting read, and I understand the point. Personally I think it may depend on personal experience as to which is worse.

      Hereís hoping most never have to deal with either.

      Hope youíre well,

      Nobs.
      Good caring post Nobs...

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        As a long term sufferer, I have said many many times that I wish it was cancer I had and not depression. That may seem like a shocking or bold statement to come out with, but it is true. Many people with long term or on off depression would agree.

        I was doing a bit or reading today and came across this article

        https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/b...sion-is-harder

        I know it talks about breast cancer but read that as any form of cancer!

        I found it an interesting read.
        If you honestly believe you would prefer to have cancer than your own mental health problems then it's very apparant your mental health is a serious issue. It's almost a wish for self-harm is it not? Or a wish to die? There are many different types of depression stemming from many different reasons. You know you better than anyone, so look inside, what do YOU think is the cause of your depression? Do you want to beat it? If, so, there are services to help you. Take that help
        Last edited by Unregistered; 05-10-2018, 06:20 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          As a long term sufferer, I have said many many times that I wish it was cancer I had and not depression. That may seem like a shocking or bold statement to come out with, but it is true. Many people with long term or on off depression would agree.

          I was doing a bit or reading today and came across this article

          https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/b...sion-is-harder

          I know it talks about breast cancer but read that as any form of cancer!

          I found it an interesting read.



          If you're saying that if you had cancer then at least you could see an end to it all ...but with depression, you want an end but can't see one and the suffering goes on ... then you really need to take advantage of any help that you can get....Hope I've understood this correctly. If I've got this wrong then I appologise and please explain.

          Just a thought...... Imagine you are a cancer sufferer that wants to live. This really isn't a scenario that works both ways round. Your thinking is that of a depressive and you need to be talking to someone....
          Vote For John Brown

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
            If you honestly believe you would prefer to have cancer than your own mental health problems then it's very apparant your mental health is a serious issue. It's almost a wish for self-harm is it not? Or a wish to die? There are many different types of depression stemming from many different reasons. You know you better than anyone, so look inside, what do YOU think is the cause of your depression? Do you want to beat it? If, so, there are services to help you. Take that help
            I find this reply quite harsh
            Raefil, He's the second best moderator this forum has ever had, closely behind Nobber.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
              If you honestly believe you would prefer to have cancer than your own mental health problems then it's very apparant your mental health is a serious issue. It's almost a wish for self-harm is it not? Or a wish to die? There are many different types of depression stemming from many different reasons. You know you better than anyone, so look inside, what do YOU think is the cause of your depression? Do you want to beat it? If, so, there are services to help you. Take that help
              Agree Nobber, sounds harsh.

              That sounds very much like ďPull yourself together!Ē ?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                If you honestly believe you would prefer to have cancer than your own mental health problems then it's very apparant your mental health is a serious issue. It's almost a wish for self-harm is it not? Or a wish to die? There are many different types of depression stemming from many different reasons. You know you better than anyone, so look inside, what do YOU think is the cause of your depression? Do you want to beat it? If, so, there are services to help you. Take that help

                The OP gave a link to a form of cancer that can be treated and has a high survival rate.

                Think this was a cry for help and sympathy and a wish for an alternative illness that can be seen, fought and cured, like most breast cancer caught early, and not a death wish.
                Last edited by Unregistered; 07-10-2018, 11:17 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                  If you honestly believe you would prefer to have cancer than your own mental health problems then it's very apparant your mental health is a serious issue. It's almost a wish for self-harm is it not? Or a wish to die? There are many different types of depression stemming from many different reasons. You know you better than anyone, so look inside, what do YOU think is the cause of your depression? Do you want to beat it? If, so, there are services to help you. Take that help


                  Sometimes there is no cause for it and striving for one can lead to anxiety at not being able to find one. Plenty of people go through services and come out worse the other end ,its not a no risk situation.
                  To the OP ; theres always hope pal ,keep going and hope things work out for you.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Maybe the op meant that both conditions are serious in their own right. With cancer being a disease of the body as opposed to depression of the mind, the treatment or cure would be easier to prescribe. Both illnesses are awful and need all the help available. Good luck to the op i wish you a very speedy recovery.
                    No wums please - low patience threshold

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      We have experienced cancer in our immediately family, fortunately she survived and is now well and working again, being cancer free for the last 8 years. I believe stress is a massive contributing factor to cancer and stress can bring about depression, they can go hand in hand. When my wife was told she had breast cancer it seemed like the end of the world for both her, me, our mothers and my boy, and we just had to be strong and work through it, but the fear and upset doesn't go away, it's always a worry that it may return. I really feel for anyone with an illness no matter how severe., but cancer is a blight on this earth. We also experienced a close relative with depression, people at his work said, he looks okay to me, try convincing idiots that because it wasn't a broken leg, you don't have to be able to see it, just understand it and have concern and empathy. Depression I guess is like being in a tunnel, with no light at the end of it, his depression became a real concern and I wanted to fix it for him but I didn't know how. Sadly he died alone in another city, after spending months awaiting a police and cps decision to help him regarding him being forced to work by some unscrupulous gypsy type people, who kept him captive in a caravan for months, he had been on a police protection programme, change name, address, NI number everything, social services even provided him with a new phone, flat, clothes food etc, but his depression worsened and we got that awful phone call from the police telling us he had died. Over 12 months he waited for a decision to take this episode to court, as they tried to gather more evidence, whilst he continually looked over his shoulder expecting more bullying and violence.

                      Sorry if this sounds a sad episode, but it was and should show how we all worry and become stressful, and quite often all we are doing is waiting for someone to confirm things and be supportive. As some of you have pointed out there is help out there, maybe a phone call is easier than going to find it.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by NORTHENDRTOPS View Post
                        We have experienced cancer in our immediately family, fortunately she survived and is now well and working again, being cancer free for the last 8 years. I believe stress is a massive contributing factor to cancer and stress can bring about depression, they can go hand in hand. When my wife was told she had breast cancer it seemed like the end of the world for both her, me, our mothers and my boy, and we just had to be strong and work through it, but the fear and upset doesn't go away, it's always a worry that it may return. I really feel for anyone with an illness no matter how severe., but cancer is a blight on this earth. We also experienced a close relative with depression, people at his work said, he looks okay to me, try convincing idiots that because it wasn't a broken leg, you don't have to be able to see it, just understand it and have concern and empathy. Depression I guess is like being in a tunnel, with no light at the end of it, his depression became a real concern and I wanted to fix it for him but I didn't know how. Sadly he died alone in another city, after spending months awaiting a police and cps decision to help him regarding him being forced to work by some unscrupulous gypsy type people, who kept him captive in a caravan for months, he had been on a police protection programme, change name, address, NI number everything, social services even provided him with a new phone, flat, clothes food etc, but his depression worsened and we got that awful phone call from the police telling us he had died. Over 12 months he waited for a decision to take this episode to court, as they tried to gather more evidence, whilst he continually looked over his shoulder expecting more bullying and violence.

                        Sorry if this sounds a sad episode, but it was and should show how we all worry and become stressful, and quite often all we are doing is waiting for someone to confirm things and be supportive. As some of you have pointed out there is help out there, maybe a phone call is easier than going to find it.
                        That is an awful thing to happen and I am sorry for your loss. I canít even begin to imagine his torment.

                        i am glad your wife is now well, I had a similar experience about the same time. Very fortunately for me, my lump was contained and removed in one operation. I did have the five year checks though and happily as with your wife, it hasnít returned, but a scary experience. Good luck to her, I wish her health in abundance.

                        No wums please - low patience threshold

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Joanpne View Post

                          That is an awful thing to happen and I am sorry for your loss. I canít even begin to imagine his torment.

                          i am glad your wife is now well, I had a similar experience about the same time. Very fortunately for me, my lump was contained and removed in one operation. I did have the five year checks though and happily as with your wife, it hasnít returned, but a scary experience. Good luck to her, I wish her health in abundance.
                          Thanks puddin

                          Comment

                          Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          x

                          Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

                          Registration Image Refresh Image
                          Working...
                          X