Brexit never? Britain can still change its mind, says Article 50 autho

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by PNEESSEX View Post

I thought you'd be selling knitting needles and yarn ;-)
    That market is saturated, now - time to explore new opportunities. You might be interested in my interests in a tar company and a feather plucking outfit.
    Soup is Good Food

Life in Sparta, Greece

Comment

• Originally posted by Sepp Blatter View Post

That market is saturated, now - time to explore new opportunities. You might be interested in my interests in a tar company and a feather plucking outfit.
      People always say you are a total plucker (or at least I think that's what they said)

Comment

People always say you are a total plucker (or at least I think that's what they said)
        A goat plucker
        Soup is Good Food

Life in Sparta, Greece

Comment

I am selling shares in a ropemaking company, if you are interested.
          Got a mate with shares in a pitchfork company who may be interested

how much would we be charging per metre if I signed up?

Comment

• Originally posted by northender0602 View Post

Got a mate with shares in a pitchfork company who may be interested

how much would we be charging per metre if I signed up?
            Metres?!! What continental devilry is this? King Henry's yards should be the only measure for true-hearted English folk. A dose of tarring and feathering is needed to rid you of your foreign ideas.
            Soup is Good Food

Life in Sparta, Greece

Comment

A goat plucker
              Indeed

(Other beasts are available)

Comment

Indeed

(Other beasts are available)
                Didn't realise you pimped out animals
                Soup is Good Food

Life in Sparta, Greece

Comment

• Originally posted by raefil View Post
                  Soft right supporters you can want all the Lib Dem fantasy unicorns you like. The reality is that Theresa May ran out the parliamentary clock on a Peoples Vote in October, the fact you are not aware of how parliament works is no excuse.

The Time Table for a referendum is as follows:

Theresa Mays Government has to start it and give it government legislation time, good luck with that.

A members bill would never work, all it takes is one leave MP to shout "Object" and then the simple process of Filibuster and your members bill is dead. If you do not know this then you do not know what will work.

So assuming Theresa May decided to have a Referendum and give government time to create a legally binding Referendum.

Perhaps a month for the Electoral Commission to consult all parties and create a suitable question for the referendum.
                  30 Days

Then it goes through the standard legislative process Civil Service Green Paper, both houses a Parliament royal assent.
                  147 days is how long that takes.

There is a theoretical way this can be reduced to ~4 weeks but it can be stopped by just one Leave MP shouting Object. Good luck with that.

Now add in the statutory 12 weeks for both sides to campaign on the question.
                  84 days

So we are looking at
                  30 + 147 + 84.= 261

We leave on March 29 so 80 days

The latest we can push it back to is when we loose our MEPs is May 23 so 134 days

When you talk about solutions deal in reality not fantasy.

A General Election takes just 4.5 weeks.

Yvette Cooper understands this and acted accordingly,

Surprisingly many soft right MPs know all these facts.

Since they know these facts, why were they encouraging you to believe in the Lib Dems fantasy unicorn of PV and blaming Jeremy Corbyn for not being able to ignore the Parliamentary reality?
                  Article 50 can not be unilaterally extended, it needs the unanimous approval of the European Council. There are no signs that an extension would be granted to give May more time to sort out her problems.There is more chance of them agreeing to a limited extension to enable the UK to organise an election or referendum.

If May was faced with two options, election or referendum, which do you think she would go for? One would keep the Tories in power while the other could mean a Labour government.

According to labourlist.org there are currently 74 Labour MPs that have publicly gone on record supporting a second referendum, with many more supporting it in private. John McDonnell says a second vote is "inevitable", Keir Starmer says "it is the only viable option to prevent a no-deal exit"
                  Are these 74, the shadow chancellor and Starmer also believing in the "Lib Dems fantasy unicorn"?

As to the timing, while the European Elections are in May, they don't take their seats until the beginning of July, which provides a bit more of a window.
                  _______

The sad thing about the whole brexit debacle is that even if there is another vote, and the vote decides to remain, the damage is already done. With brexit still like an open wound festering away, how much of an incentive will there be for companies to invest in the country, providing much needed employment, when there's still a chance the whole issue will be revisited in the near future.

Comment

• Originally posted by PNEPPC View Post

Article 50 can not be unilaterally extended, it needs the unanimous approval of the European Council. There are no signs that an extension would be granted to give May more time to sort out her problems.There is more chance of them agreeing to a limited extension to enable the UK to organise an election or referendum.

If May was faced with two options, election or referendum, which do you think she would go for? One would keep the Tories in power while the other could mean a Labour government.

According to labourlist.org there are currently 74 Labour MPs that have publicly gone on record supporting a second referendum, with many more supporting it in private. John McDonnell says a second vote is "inevitable", Keir Starmer says "it is the only viable option to prevent a no-deal exit"
                    Are these 74, the shadow chancellor and Starmer also believing in the "Lib Dems fantasy unicorn"?

As to the timing, while the European Elections are in May, they don't take their seats until the beginning of July, which provides a bit more of a window.
                    _______

The sad thing about the whole brexit debacle is that even if there is another vote, and the vote decides to remain, the damage is already done. With brexit still like an open wound festering away, how much of an incentive will there be for companies to invest in the country, providing much needed employment, when there's still a chance the whole issue will be revisited in the near future.
                    One question about the beginning of your post, why can it not be extended? Once again an example of how politics creates obstacles that donít need to be there.

As for you last paragraph......... that damage is done..........open wound.........festering...... what a complete load of over dramatic bullshit nonsense.
                    Raefil, He's the second best moderator this forum has ever had, closely behind Nobber.

Comment

Metres?!! What continental devilry is this? King Henry's yards should be the only measure for true-hearted English folk. A dose of tarring and feathering is needed to rid you of your foreign ideas.
                      I do beg your forgiveness good sir. ĎĎTis the devilry of foreign powers that overcame me for a short while. I shall ensure they are cast out and commit them to the fires of hades, never to return.

Comment

_______

If the tories go for the so called "peoples vote," option then I`ll do nothing but jump for joy. Not because I think the vote will be overturned, I actually think the vote will be higher for leave but more so that it will finish them for good.

They have tried very hard to get Labour to commit to a second referendum, its actually been quite amusing seeing every interview, no matter what its been about, attempting to get Labour to fall into that trap.
                        "The gig economy is nothing new, its simply the reincarnation of an ancient evil."

Justin Welby

Comment

• Originally posted by Nobber View Post

One question about the beginning of your post, why can it not be extended? Once again an example of how politics creates obstacles that donít need to be there.

As for you last paragraph......... that damage is done..........open wound.........festering...... what a complete load of over dramatic bullshit nonsense.
                          If it wasn't time limited, imagine how long the whole sorry saga would be getting dragged out for!

​​​​​

Comment

If it wasn't time limited, imagine how long the whole sorry saga would be getting dragged out for!

​​​​​
                            Just to make it clear I donít care if they extend it or not.

The fact is that if they wanted to get this sorted, they could. They choose not to.
                            Raefil, He's the second best moderator this forum has ever had, closely behind Nobber.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nobber View Post
                              Just to make it clear I donít care if they extend it or not.

The fact is that if they wanted to get this sorted, they could. They choose not to.
                              dont often agree with you on this one but on this I agree.

IMHO they have attempted throughout the process to make this work in their favour. I remember saying this right at the beginning of the process.

They wanted to erode our human rights/workers rights/environmental protections with impunity. this is probably where we diverge but for me parliament has done its job well in holding them to account every step of the way. Theyve not been allowed to get away with their vision of creating an even more unequal Britain to the one we have now.Thank goodness for that.

"The gig economy is nothing new, its simply the reincarnation of an ancient evil."

Justin Welby

Comment

• I`ll leave this here re the so called peoples vote.

survation have consistently been very close to the mark in their polling, these results make interesting reading and back up what I said earlier.

Justin Welby

Comment

Working...
                                X