Brexit never? Britain can still change its mind, says Article 50 autho

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sepp Blatter View Post

I've lived in Scotland and Ireland so get your point - never had a problem with Scottish independence or Irish reunification if that's what they want.

John's point about the backstop is valid, though - it leaves open the possibility of the UK ceding over decision making to the EU with no way of escaping it. That's a frightening prospect - exactly what we have here, and it is undemocratic and very unpleasant.
    I do wonder if there is any action or red line that the EU could cross that would turn the average Remainer against it ?
    I must admit I underestimated the almost religious zeal of many Remainers.

Ive always had my concerns about the EUs basic political structure, my position has always been that an organisation that is set up with poor accountability isn't likely to improve itself. So I don't mind admitting I am pretty set in my opinions (I'm sure you hadn't noticed) but I would turn if by some miracle the EU decided to reject "ever closer union" and become a pure trade zone.

I wonder what would convince our resident Remainers that the EU was no longer worth supporting ? (Not a trick question)

Last edited by sliper; Today, 07:57 PM.
    If you pay to watch the Premier League on TV.. you are part of the problem !

Comment

• Originally posted by sliper View Post

I do wonder if there is any action or red line that the EU could cross that would turn the average Remainer against it ?
      I must admit I underestimated the zeal of many Remainers.

Ive always had my concerns about the EUs basic political structure, my position has always been that an organisation that is set up with poor accountability isn't likely to improve itself. So I don't mind admitting I am pretty set in my opinions but I would turn if by some miracle the EU decided to reject "ever closer union" and become a pure trade zone.

I wonder what would convince our resident Remainers that the EU was no longer worth supporting ? (Not a trick question)

Agreed - if they got rid of the Euro and fiscal compact (or at least restricted it to similar economies), and rolled back to something more like the EC, then I would return to being pro-EU. As it is, we have a black hole in the centre of Europe sucking everything from the periphery. Once they started overriding democracy, that was the tipping point for me - my red line, as it were.

Some remainers weighed up the options and decided that the good outweighed the bad - that's fair enough, even if I don't agree. The more fanatical, who can't see any bad in the organisation, are frightening. Happy to criticise Tory austerity and subversion of democracy, but not the EU's version and will come up with every excuse under the sun to blame anyone and anything else.
      Soup is Good Food

Life in Sparta, Greece

Comment

• Originally posted by Sepp Blatter View Post

Agreed - if they got rid of the Euro and fiscal compact (or at least restricted it to similar economies), and rolled back to something more like the EC, then I would return to being pro-EU. As it is, we have a black hole in the centre of Europe sucking everything from the periphery. Once they started overriding democracy, that was the tipping point for me - my red line, as it were.

Some remainers weighed up the options and decided that the good outweighed the bad - that's fair enough, even if I don't agree. The more fanatical, who can't see any bad in the organisation, are frightening. Happy to criticise Tory austerity and subversion of democracy, but not the EU's version and will come up with every excuse under the sun to blame anyone and anything else.

You leave poor Phil alone, he's just confused... This mess might be the makings of him... Sorry Phil..
        Vote For John Brown

Comment

• Originally posted by sliper View Post

I must admit I underestimated the almost religious zeal of many Remainers.

Ive always had my concerns about the EUs basic political structure, my position has always been that an organisation that is set up with poor accountability isn't likely to improve itself. So I don't mind admitting I am pretty set in my opinions (I'm sure you hadn't noticed) but I would turn if by some miracle the EU decided to reject "ever closer union" and become a pure trade zone.

Maybe a change of government or less media bias in this Country?.....What they do as a whole seems to be perfectly acceptable no matter what.... Perhaps if they started a war, after all that's where the really big money comes from.? ... Watch this space.

Vote For John Brown

Comment

Working...
          X