Political Correctness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by PNEESSEX View Post
    It's nonsense like this that allows people to ignore the real issues. Whoever the Equality Institute are, they should be concentrating on the real areas of inequality rather than spouting tosh
    They are based in Melbourne , Australia.

Their commendable statement says " every woman and girl deserves the right to be free from violence and discrimination". Amen to that.

But wait ! They are the Equality Institute............ so I ve rewritten the statement........ " every person ( they started it !) deserves the right to be free from violence and discrimination"

Comment

• Originally posted by pnematic View Post
      They are based in Melbourne , Australia.

Their commendable statement says " every woman and girl deserves the right to be free from violence and discrimination". Amen to that.

But wait ! They are the Equality Institute............ so I ve rewritten the statement........ " every person ( they started it !) deserves the right to be free from violence and discrimination"

Yeah, you're bang on. Not too good at this are they?
      Vote For John Brown

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by portisheadpete View Post
          Maybe calm down. I do have a prejudice against an increasing number of people who are expounding extreme views and then decrying anybody who counters them as preaching political correctness. How bloody convenient. That is the thread after all. Your premise about women tennis players being paid less because their game is shorter, whilst not extreme, makes no sense to me other than a reasoning to pay women less. Shame on you for a crap argument. But as you say you dont really care anyway.
          I think it is totally wrong that woman are denied the right in this day and age to play five sets the same as men TBH

Comment

• Originally posted by TSR2 View Post
            I think it is totally wrong that woman are denied the right in this day and age to play five sets the same as men TBH
            Indeed!

Comment

• There was a hoo-ha recently about the female Doctor Who. Apparently Doctor Who should not be female. Really? This is a show set in a completely fictional reality. Why on Earth (or in space and time) not?

However, there had also been a call for James Bond to be a woman, I kid you not.

James Bond is an Ian Fleming character written for a fictional reality but it isnít (or wasnít) fantasy. What will it achieve? I mean really?

As Denzel Washington said when people bemoaned the lack of black stories...people tend to write about their own experience. Black characters need more black writers.

If you want a female spy story bloody well write one!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mer5eywhite View Post
                There was a hoo-ha recently about the female Doctor Who. Apparently Doctor Who should not be female. Really? This is a show set in a completely fictional reality. Why on Earth (or in space and time) not?

However, there had also been a call for James Bond to be a woman, I kid you not.

James Bond is an Ian Fleming character written for a fictional reality but it isnít (or wasnít) fantasy. What will it achieve? I mean really?

As Denzel Washington said when people bemoaned the lack of black stories...people tend to write about their own experience. Black characters need more black writers.

As a woman, I 100% agree with you. There will always be men and women, both should be treated respectfully and equally as should everyone regardless of gender and sexual orientation or race and creed. I can honestly say I understand exactly where you were coming from in your posts regarding tennis. Either everyone is equal or they are not but you canít have some more equal than others and expect the same rewards.

It gets more ridiculous by the year.
                No wums please - low patience threshold

Comment

• It certainly does Joan.

It is difficult not to allow preconceptions to affect our decisions and opinions. I don't think anybody can truly say they have no latent prejudice, including myself.

I have arrived at the conclusion that job applications should be forwarded without Name/Religion/Gender/Race/Disability wherever realistically possible. When considering a situation, A versus B is always the fairest way.

Comment

It certainly does Joan.

It is difficult not to allow preconceptions to affect our decisions and opinions. I don't think anybody can truly say they have no latent prejudice, including myself.

I have arrived at the conclusion that job applications should be forwarded without Name/Religion/Gender/Race/Disability wherever realistically possible. When considering a situation, A versus B is always the fairest way.
                    Theres a lot to be said for that.
                    "The gig economy is nothing new, its simply the reincarnation of an ancient evil."

Justin Welby

Comment

It certainly does Joan.

We used to have a separate form for disability and ethnicity which never accompanied the forms for short listing. We also had a detachable sheet with name/gender/date of birth which wasn't given to the short listing panel. However, notwithstanding, it was often obvious what the age of the applicant was (from quals obtained section), sometimes gender and/or religion from the education section (school names can hide a multitude of sins). Quals, schools, universities also tend to give clues to the nationality of the applicant.

I agree that maximising the objectivity of the process is what we should strive for, but achieving absolute objectivity is almost impossible

Comment

• Originally posted by raefil View Post
                        Theres a lot to be said for that.
                        Totally agree.
                        No wums please - low patience threshold

Comment

We used to have a separate form for disability and ethnicity which never accompanied the forms for short listing. We also had a detachable sheet with name/gender/date of birth which wasn't given to the short listing panel. However, notwithstanding, it was often obvious what the age of the applicant was (from quals obtained section), sometimes gender and/or religion from the education section (school names can hide a multitude of sins). Quals, schools, universities also tend to give clues to the nationality of the applicant.

I agree that maximising the objectivity of the process is what we should strive for, but achieving absolute objectivity is almost impossible

100% agree

Comment

There was a hoo-ha recently about the female Doctor Who. Apparently Doctor Who should not be female. Really? This is a show set in a completely fictional reality. Why on Earth (or in space and time) not?

You are of course correct but apparently common sense ( which wasn't too common in the first place ) has now finally gone to the dogs.......... oh and btw..Modesty Blaise is the only one I can think of.
                            Vote For John Brown

Comment

• Jane bond
                              "The gig economy is nothing new, its simply the reincarnation of an ancient evil."

Justin Welby

Comment

Then those doing the interviewing/screening/final selection aren't doing their jobs properly and should be replaced....

Sorry, just being awkward.
                                Vote For John Brown

Comment

Working...
                                X