Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starvation, sex and charity.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by PNEPPC View Post
    Here's what I would consider to be more newsworthy:

    25,000 children die each day from preventable diseases. That's 8 World Trade Centres.
    11% of the world's population don't have clean drinking water.
    35% of the world don't have access to adequate sanitation.
    Perhaps theyll learn not to publish stuff like this in the future eh!!!

    https://www.oxfam.org.uk/what-we-do/...mic-inequality
    "The gig economy is nothing new, its simply the reincarnation of an ancient evil."

    Justin Welby

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by PNEPPC View Post
      Have you got any facts to back that up?
      There are loads of evidence to show where foreign aid is wasted. You asked for my opinion, I gave it.

      Can you prove to me a % that is guaranteed to go where it should?
      Raefil, He's the second best moderator this forum has ever had, closely behind Nobber.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by PNEPPC View Post
        Can't see any evidence of over 50% or any such high figure. Ban Ki Moon estimated 30%.
        30% of Billions?

        How many billions does that equate to? Would that wasted cash not be better being withheld and then sent to them that deserve it?
        Raefil, He's the second best moderator this forum has ever had, closely behind Nobber.

        Comment


        • #19
          New window display 😀

          Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Roger Mellie View Post
            New window display 😀

            Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Roger Mellie View Post
              New window display 😀

              Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk
              snigger
              "The gig economy is nothing new, its simply the reincarnation of an ancient evil."

              Justin Welby

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Roger Mellie View Post
                New window display 😀

                Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by europne View Post
                  Watching news programmes over the last week I have seen some truly appalling things about refugee camps with regard to Syria, Myanmar and now Congo. What the hell is wrong with this world that this happens.

                  But all of these have been totally overshadowed by the unfolding sex scandal , where people are queuing up to get on camera to have their say about how appalling it is, and how much air time is being given to it. This gives a bad name to charities.

                  Distasteful as it may be what is appalling to me is how this now appears to be more important than the horrors which are taking place and which numerous charities are trying hard to help.

                  The media just loves a sex scandal, thousands of people dieing through ethnic cleansing and hunger just arenít that interesting it seems.

                  Maybe if they changed their name to SEXFAM they might get more coverage.
                  Good point. Two things. I imagine many workers involved in prolonged overseas work indulge in the worlds oldest trade for mutual benefit and in a consenting way. Secondly that the media has decided for what ever to run this story now when it could have done at any time over the last 40 years. The responses to your post indicate how this will impact negatively on the peoples that need the help most. Whether 10%, 50% or 80% gets through is immaterial. It will not improve their lot. Until some Haitian claims widescale criminality, I'm totally cynical about the motive for the story.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by portisheadpete View Post
                    Good point. Two things. I imagine many workers involved in prolonged overseas work indulge in the worlds oldest trade for mutual benefit and in a consenting way. Secondly that the media has decided for what ever to run this story now when it could have done at any time over the last 40 years. The responses to your post indicate how this will impact negatively on the peoples that need the help most. Whether 10%, 50% or 80% gets through is immaterial. It will not improve their lot. Until some Haitian claims widescale criminality, I'm totally cynical about the motive for the story.
                    I have some sympathy with that view - although not quite so cynical. If the story was limited to some use of prostitutes amongst aid workers, I would be very disappointed but not shocked - nor would I consider it to be the end of an organisation like Oxfam.

                    In fact, I suspect that if Oxfam had handled the story better... admitted to failing... promised changes... they could have ridden the storm. But their decision to cover the story up, and then suffer the drip feed of revelations has caused it to get out of hand.

                    I do believe that big charities are flabby organisations - and it seems that they have been corrupted to some extent... and infiltrated by some people who perhaps see a trip to Haiti, or other such place, as some sort of adventure, or maybe a power trip. Must be very painful for those whose hearts are in it to be tarred by this brush.

                    We shouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water, but some serious sorting out needs doing.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Now it all becomes clear. I had no idea that the good Christian Mogg and the good right-wingers at the Express have been leading the charge against foreign aid. The timing of these revelations, even though it all seems to involve mature consenting adults, makes perfect sense. Feed the right-wing zeitgeist but not the hungry.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Nobber View Post
                        There are loads of evidence to show where foreign aid is wasted. You asked for my opinion, I gave it.

                        Can you prove to me a % that is guaranteed to go where it should?
                        "Loads of evidence" is conjecture not facts.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by PNEPPC View Post
                          Now it all becomes clear. I had no idea that the good Christian Mogg and the good right-wingers at the Express have been leading the charge against foreign aid. The timing of these revelations, even though it all seems to involve mature consenting adults, makes perfect sense. Feed the right-wing zeitgeist but not the hungry.
                          Lets just say, also, that Oxfam are one of the few charities to break ranks and actually have the balls to criticise what the govts, "Austerity," policies are actually doing to the country.
                          "The gig economy is nothing new, its simply the reincarnation of an ancient evil."

                          Justin Welby

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by PNEPPC View Post
                            Now it all becomes clear. I had no idea that the good Christian Mogg and the good right-wingers at the Express have been leading the charge against foreign aid. The timing of these revelations, even though it all seems to involve mature consenting adults, makes perfect sense. Feed the right-wing zeitgeist but not the hungry.
                            Whatever are you suggesting?
                            Vote For John Brown

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by PNEPPC View Post
                              "Loads of evidence" is conjecture not facts.
                              So as I have requested now twice, show me the proof where the vast majority of aid actually gets to the people that need it. As you say anything else YOU write is simply conjecture.
                              Raefil, He's the second best moderator this forum has ever had, closely behind Nobber.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                If it was between consenting adults I don't see the issue. I am more concerned about this:

                                In the financial year 2012/13, Oxfam said its chief executive was paid £119,560 - a figure the charity says is in "the lower quartile of what other large charities paid for their chief executives".

                                Charity?
                                Raefil, He's the second best moderator this forum has ever had, closely behind Nobber.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X