Typhoon Mangkhut and Hurricane Florence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Typhoon Mangkhut and Hurricane Florence

Everyone's heard of the impending hurricane in the USA, it's headline news.

The less well known Typhoon Mangkhut is due to hit the Philippines about the same time and is expected to be a humanitarian disaster dwarfing the now downgraded US hurricane.

Don't get me wrong, the US East coast will suffer and they have my sympathy, but why is that headline news over and above the Philippine Storm.

Oh, of course, Americans are more important than Asians - silly me!

Iíve just watched the BBC news and both were given headline coverage.

Comment

Originally posted by LostinSpace View Post

The less well known Typhoon Mangkhut is due to hit the Philippines about the same time and is expected to be a humanitarian disaster dwarfing the now downgraded US hurricane.

Don't get me wrong, the US East coast will suffer and they have my sympathy, but why is that headline news over and above the Philippine Storm.

A very good question!
      I think white and western lives are subconsciously see as more important/relevant than non-white non-western ones. For instance the 9/11 attacks were recently commemorated. They were criminally tragic and led to the loss of 3000 lives. According to the WHO that same number of lives are lost every 32 hours, all year, every year, due to diarrhea from unsafe drinking water and poor sanitation. Where's their memorials or 2 minutes silence?

Comment

Originally posted by Henrys Cat View Post
        Iíve just watched the BBC news and both were given headline coverage.
        OK, good for them but I was going by the BBC website and the newspapers earlier this morning, hardly a mention of Typhoon Mangkhut.

Edit: I've just had another quick look and that still appears to be to be the case.
        Last edited by LostinSpace; 14-09-2018, 12:44 PM.

Comment

To make matters worse the Philippines has recently been suffering from a rice shortage with prices increased 50-60%, Mangkhut is hitting just as the rice is ready for harvesting, so potentially leading to more problems.
          To put the rice price into perspective, rice was recently costing ₱60/kg, the legal minimum wage varies by region (and is frequently ignored) but can be ₱260/day. There's currently ₱70 to £1

Comment

Originally posted by LostinSpace View Post

I get your point and think that there is some truth in what you say - that said, I don't always think that there is malicious intent most of the time - news tends to work in 'spheres of interest' linked by geography, culture, shared history, and language. The UK has always been very close to the US, so you are going to see more news from there than from the Pacific region. In the same way, I often see news here about Turkey, the Middle East, Russia, and the Balkans that barely raises a ripple in the UK.

Hope that you have battened down the hatches, PPC - I have had the fortune to work online with many Filipinos over the the years, and they are great folk.
            Soup is Good Food

Life in Sparta, Greece

Comment

Originally posted by Sepp Blatter View Post
              Hope that you have battened down the hatches, PPC - I have had the fortune to work online with many Filipinos over the the years, and they are great folk.
              We're fortunately safe on Palawan thanks Sepp. It historically never used to get hit by typhoons but the last few years have seen a change in their routes, meaning they are getting closer.

Comment

I get your point and think that there is some truth in what you say - that said, I don't always think that there is malicious intent most of the time - news tends to work in 'spheres of interest' linked by geography, culture, shared history, and language. The UK has always been very close to the US, so you are going to see more news from there than from the Pacific region. In the same way, I often see news here about Turkey, the Middle East, Russia, and the Balkans that barely raises a ripple in the UK.

Worked in Davao City, Mindnao for a time. Lovely place, lovely people. gladly that Island seems to away from where the typhoon is likely hit.
                "The gig economy is nothing new, its simply the reincarnation of an ancient evil."

Justin Welby

Comment

Originally posted by raefil View Post
                  Worked in Davao City, Mindnao for a time. Lovely place, lovely people...
                  and psychotic ex mayor!

Comment

Originally posted by PNEPPC View Post
                    We're fortunately safe on Palawan thanks Sepp. It historically never used to get hit by typhoons but the last few years have seen a change in their routes, meaning they are getting closer.
                    All the best to you all - from what I have read, they have been very proactive in evacuating people, so let's hope that everyone stays safe.
                    Soup is Good Food

Life in Sparta, Greece

Comment

Originally posted by PNEPPC View Post
                      and psychotic ex mayor!
                      I was there a long time before all that. The Islamist problem was present tho and travelling wasnt the safest.
                      "The gig economy is nothing new, its simply the reincarnation of an ancient evil."

Justin Welby

Comment

Hurricane Helene

Justin Welby

Comment

Mmm, So it could hit just in time for the Tuesday night football. At least we'll be playing in the East but it'll likely be an unpleasant journey over the M62.

Comment

Philippines typhoon is now the number one story rather than US hurricane on BBC website

Comment

I have had the fortune to work online with many Filipinos over the the years, and they are great folk.
                              Pervert
                              Raefil, He's the second best moderator this forum has ever had, closely behind Nobber.

Comment

Working...
                              X