Crete

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crete

best resorts does anyone know? Not really wanting Malia unless itís more sedate in October. Which end is best Chania or Heraklion?

cheers

Originally posted by northender0602 View Post
    best resorts does anyone know? Not really wanting Malia unless itís more sedate in October. Which end is best Chania or Heraklion?

cheers
    My friend went to Malia in the off season and said it was nice, although still quite pricey.

Heraklion is good in terms of museums and Knossos, and some really good beaches along the north coast. The city can be very manic.

Chania is a more laid back town and Western Crete is stunning - our favourite place in Crete was Palaeochora on the south coast - some nice beaches and lots to do around there.
    Soup is Good Food

Life in Sparta, Greece

Comment

Chania is superb, the area around the harbour is brilliant at night. While in Crete, walking the Samaria Gorge is a must. 16 km walk through Europeís biggest Canyon starting at 2000 metres and dropping down to the Libyan sea, If you fancy doing it though, take proper footwear. Absolutely brilliant walk.

Comment

Elounda is very nice small fishing village with decent bars and eating houses and is also close to the larger resort of Agios Nikolaos (St Nicholas)
        With my luck I'll be at the airport when my boat comes in

Comment

Originally posted by Henrys Cat View Post
          Chania is superb, the area around the harbour is brilliant at night. While in Crete, walking the Samaria Gorge is a must. 16 km walk through Europeís biggest Canyon starting at 2000 metres and dropping down to the Libyan sea, If you fancy doing it though, take proper footwear. Absolutely brilliant walk.
          Bang on, HC - it is a truly glorious walk. Had a great day watching vultures, golden eagles, ravens, and wild goats. Hope to get back there one day - in May, when the wildflowers are out.

Suspect it won't be available in October, sadly - too dangerous, but would second your recommendation to anyone visiting Crete in spring and summer.

EDIT: Just checked - it may well be open in October, weather permitting.
          Soup is Good Food

Life in Sparta, Greece

Comment

If you like history/archaeology Knossos and Phaistos are absolute musts. The Samaria Gorge is also quite something

http://www.visitgreece.gr/en/nature/.../samaria_gorge

Comment

Originally posted by PNEESSEX View Post
              If you like history/archaeology Knossos and Phaistos are absolute musts. The Samaria Gorge is also quite something

http://www.visitgreece.gr/en/nature/.../samaria_gorge
              I have seen piccies and it looks amazing, time of year may be against us, but you never know at Almost 57 it seems like a nice stroll out

Comment

Originally posted by northender0602 View Post

I have seen piccies and it looks amazing, time of year may be against us, but you never know at Almost 57 it seems like a nice stroll out
                Wrap up warm if you do - Greek mountains can be cold places in October, especially early in the morning!

If you are not sure about the full walk (going from the north end to the south), you can catch the ferry to the southern end and wander in from there. Much easier going.
                Soup is Good Food

Life in Sparta, Greece

Comment

Working...
                X