Andy Murray - retirement :(

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andy Murray - retirement :(

What a superstar this guy has been. Three grand slams, two Olympic golds... a Davis Cup and an inspiration for anyone who wants the be the best that they can be.

He says he's retiring after Wimbledon but having seen the press conference just now, and given the very tough first round draw he has in Melbourne, it wouldn't surprise me if he has to give up after one more match.

What a shame injury has done this to him. If he'd stayed fit, he could easily have finished his career with a golden period for two or three years before the next generation comes through.

Nevertheless, he's been great. Hopefully he won a few people over... he wasn't so popular back in 2011 when I started this thread! https://www.pne-online.net/forum/for...vent-this-year

He has certainly been the best British player, by a country mile, in all the years Ive been following tennis (and that's a very long time). He did remarkably well to win 3 grand slams during a period when there was real strength in depth in the men's game. I hope he hangs on until Wimbledon, but I will be amazed if he manages it, he looks completely wrecked physically. IMO he's one of the greatest British sportsmen ever.

I had forgotten that thread from 2011 (thankfully)

Comment

A truly great British sportsman.
      "The gig economy is nothing new, its simply the reincarnation of an ancient evil."

Justin Welby

Comment

He might have been a decent tennis player, but as a personality I think that he stinks..........

and I have never forgiven him for his anti-England comments re: The world cup...........

Comment

^^^^^^
          Agreed!

Comment

Originally posted by Ando60 View Post
            He might have been a decent tennis player, but as a personality I think that he stinks..........

and I have never forgiven him for his anti-England comments re: The world cup...........
            Originally posted by chrisrw View Post
            ^^^^^^
            Agreed!
            What utter bollocks.

sorry it has to be said.

Get over it.
            "The gig economy is nothing new, its simply the reincarnation of an ancient evil."

Justin Welby

Comment

I imagine he's gutted that you removed him from your Xmas card list......

i think he has a very dry sense of humour which is often misinterpreted.

Comment

Originally posted by PNEESSEX View Post

I imagine he's gutted that you removed him from your Xmas card list......

i think he has a very dry sense of humour which is often misinterpreted.
                Yup - a bit of banter with Tim Henman and people get all up in arms about it.

https://www.tennisworldusa.org/tenni...lish-football/

Never met him myself, but know a couple of people who know him well, and they say he was always a very nice and pleasant lad.
                Soup is Good Food

Life in Sparta, Greece

Comment

Originally posted by Sepp Blatter View Post

Yup - a bit of banter with Tim Henman and people get all up in arms about it.

https://www.tennisworldusa.org/tenni...lish-football/

Never met him myself, but know a couple of people who know him well, and they say he was always a very nice and pleasant lad.
                  One of my cousins has lived in Dunblane for nearly 40 years. Her kids are similar ages to Jamie and Andy and she has known both the lads for their whole lives (as well as knowing Judy well too). She always says that they're a really nice family. I think Andy Murray is very amusing, but I share that sort of sense of humour myself.

Comment

One of my cousins has lived in Dunblane for nearly 40 years. Her kids are similar ages to Jamie and Andy and she has known both the lads for their whole lives (as well as knowing Judy well too). She always says that they're a really nice family. I think Andy Murray is very amusing, but I share that sort of sense of humour myself.
                    They must have been at school during the shooting, then - that was truly horrific. Everyone in and around Stirling at that time knew someone who lost a child.

It was a little bit after my time there, but a couple of people I worked with up there were avid tennis players so knew him and Judy from the tennis centre at the university. They have nothing but kind words to say about the family.

That sense of humour is very common up in that part of the world - in the summers and for a year after graduation, I worked with a lot of seemingly brooding, gruff men - when you got to know them, you found that they were big-hearted blokes with a great sense of humour.
                    Soup is Good Food

Life in Sparta, Greece

Comment

I wonder how many Grand Slams he'd have won if he'd been around in a different era? He got to eleven finals.
                      Federer, Nadal and Djokovic all in the all time top five Imo.
                      A tough ask for anyone to shine whenin that sort of company.
                      It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

Comment

Originally posted by raefil View Post

What utter bollocks.

sorry it has to be said.

Get over it.
                        Stop sitting on the fence Phil !

to be honest, the fact that he is Scottish is enough reason for me to dislike him ......

Comment

Originally posted by Regardless View Post
                          What a superstar this guy has been. Three grand slams, two Olympic golds... a Davis Cup and an inspiration for anyone who wants the be the best that they can be.

He says he's retiring after Wimbledon but having seen the press conference just now, and given the very tough first round draw he has in Melbourne, it wouldn't surprise me if he has to give up after one more match.

What a shame injury has done this to him. If he'd stayed fit, he could easily have finished his career with a golden period for two or three years before the next generation comes through.

Nevertheless, he's been great. Hopefully he won a few people over... he wasn't so popular back in 2011 when I started this thread! https://www.pne-online.net/forum/for...vent-this-year
                          Wow, some posters on there that I had forgotten about...

Comment

Stop sitting on the fence Phil !

to be honest, the fact that he is Scottish is enough reason for me to dislike him ......
                            Behave. Some of PNE's greatest ever players were Scots

Comment

Behave. Some of PNE's greatest ever players were Scots
                              Very good point Essex !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X