Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by raefil View Post
    I suspect nobs was correct BTW

A sport is generally recognised as such by the IOC. Snooker applied for the tokyo Olympics and was refused.

Hope that helps
    Apart from the fact that, by allowing it to apply, they accepted that it is a sport. Otherwise, it would not have made the shortlist.

There is actually no single answer to this - as I said above, it is semantics and depends on who is defining 'sport' (The IOC recognises chess and bridge as sports, for example). Others see it differently. Wiki captures the complexity well

The precise definition of what separates a sport from other leisure activities varies between sources. The closest to an international agreement on a definition is provided by SportAccord, which is the association for all the largest international sports federations (including association football, athletics, cycling, tennis, equestrian sports, and more), and is therefore the de facto representative of international sport.

SportAccord uses the following criteria, determining that a sport should:[1]

have an element of competition
    be in no way harmful to any living creature
    not rely on equipment provided by a single supplier (excluding proprietary games such as arena football)
    not rely on any "luck" element specifically designed into the sport.
    They also recognise that sport can be primarily physical (such as rugby or athletics), primarily mind (such as chess or go), predominantly motorised (such as Formula 1 or powerboating), primarily co-ordination (such as billiard sports), or primarily animal-supported (such as equestrian sport).[1]

The inclusion of mind sports within sport definitions has not been universally accepted, leading to legal challenges from governing bodies in regards to being denied funding available to sports.[12] Whilst SportAccord recognises a small number of mind sports, it is not open to admitting any further mind sports.

There has been an increase in the application of the term "sport" to a wider set of non-physical challenges such as video games, also called esports, especially due to the large scale of participation and organised competition, but these are not widely recognised by mainstream sports organisations. According to Council of Europe, European Sports Charter, article 2.i, " "Sport" means all forms of physical activity which, through casual or organised participation, aim at expressing or improving physical fitness and mental well-being, forming social relationships or obtaining results in competition at all levels.".[13]
    Such is the joy of English - nothing can ever be defined and arguments about the meaning of words will go around in circles
    Soup is Good Food

Life in Sparta, Greece

Comment

Crikey that means snooker is possibly the only one that qualifies

Originally posted by sepp blatter
      be in no way harmful to any living creature
      "The gig economy is nothing new, its simply the reincarnation of an ancient evil."

Justin Welby

Comment

Crikey that means snooker is possibly the only one that qualifies
        By Jove! You are right - indeed, don't snooker players use leather cue tips? Then they don't qualify either.

This means that no sport is actually a sport - no need for further argument
        Soup is Good Food

Life in Sparta, Greece

Comment

I suspect nobs was correct BTW

A sport is generally recognised as such by the IOC. Snooker applied for the tokyo Olympics and was refused.

Hope that helps
          Cricket has applied to be in the Olympics several times over the past decade or so and failed so is that a sport? As for the IOC I suggest you check out ARISF, the organisation of governing bodies of non-Olympic sports that the IOC does recognise, amongst the sports the IOC does recognise is billiard sports (which includes snooker, pool, etc) so maybe it wasn't such a smart move to assume not being in the Olympics means the IOC doesn't think something is sport.

For someone who is liberal when it comes to politics and social issues you don't half come across as very conservative when it comes to sport.
          love PNE, hate lasher's

Comment

I dont think Im wrong in saying that Cricket was included in the 1900 Olympics?
            "The gig economy is nothing new, its simply the reincarnation of an ancient evil."

Justin Welby

Comment

I dont think Im wrong in saying that Cricket was included in the 1900 Olympics?
              Sculpture and poetry were in the modern Olympics for a while...
              Soup is Good Food

Life in Sparta, Greece

Comment

They all used to do it in the buff as well didn't they?

I'd be all for that. I've got all the sports channels.

Comment

Originally posted by justinr73 View Post

Knock yourself out - for the Ancient Olympics, only men took part
                  Soup is Good Food

Life in Sparta, Greece

Comment

Hmmm.

The high hurdles could be entertaining I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitch 22 View Post
                      Isn't it about time this utter genius was awarded sports personality of the year? The only professional genius sportsman we have ever really produced. Up with Mozart, Leonardo and great geniuses for me. In my opinion it's because he has a controversial personality he gets ignored.
                      A while ago, maybe he was a worthy candidate. Not now.

For a start, he doesn't like the game. He only does it to earn money. That's not the sort of attitude we should be rewarding to inspire our kids.

Adam Peaty or Harry Kane for me. Probably Peaty.

Comment

Originally posted by Regardless View Post
                        A while ago, maybe he was a worthy candidate. Not now.

For a start, he doesn't like the game. He only does it to earn money. That's not the sort of attitude we should be rewarding to inspire our kids.

Adam Peaty or Harry Kane for me. Probably Peaty.
                        It's hard to be rational about it.

Jimmy gets to 500 wickets and will be the leading seam bowling Test wicket taker this year at 35.

And Anya Shrubsole is the cricket rep. 4 wickets in 7 games in Australia.

A joke.

Scrap it.

Comment

It's hard to be rational about it.

Jimmy gets to 500 wickets and will be the leading seam bowling Test wicket taker this year at 35.

And Anya Shrubsole is the cricket rep. 4 wickets in 7 games in Australia.

A joke.

Scrap it.
                          The list does seem to have been drawn up by a committee with a remit to ensure diversity.

Comment

He's a real talent. Some of his talents were demonstrated in his series on Sky playing pool in America.

Comment

Hmmm.

The high hurdles could be entertaining I guess.
                              For me, even the LOW hurdles would be a problem. Not one to boast, like.
                              Dirty Harry. Spouting shite and nowt better to do since 2015.

Comment

If it's a nude olympics, baggsie I get the job as judge in the women's gymnastics floor exercises.
                                Dirty Harry. Spouting shite and nowt better to do since 2015.

Comment

Working...
                                X