Major League Baseball 2018

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jcfartpants View Post
    That's our problem. We've actually got a strong winning record against non-division rivals but against division rivals we're on a big losing record and surely you need to win games vs division rivals if you're going to be in with a shout.
    Exactly right John. I've always looked at these divisional games as worth +2 or -2 in the games behind column.
    Clean Sheets Win Championships. UP THE NOBBERS & CURRY POWER.

Comment

• TORONTO - Justin Smoak scored on a bases-loaded walk in the 10th inning as the Blue Jays beat the Baltimore Orioles 4-3 on Saturday, giving Toronto three straight wins for the first time in nearly six weeks.

It's not the Os (or the Jays) season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sid Snot View Post
        TORONTO - Justin Smoak scored on a bases-loaded walk in the 10th inning as the Blue Jays beat the Baltimore Orioles 4-3 on Saturday, giving Toronto three straight wins for the first time in nearly six weeks.

It's not the Os (or the Jays) season.
        You know things aren't going that well when it's a celebration for winning against the Os
        East Midlands Branch

Comment

You know things aren't going that well when it's a celebration for winning against the Os
          That's right John . Back to normal with an 8-3 loss to the Rays last night.

Comment

• So, we lose again, last night, to the Rays (nothing new or earth shattering about that). I hear on the news this morning that the Rays have TWO starting pitchers on their roster. Three games out of five they're starting a reliever. This is either a terrible strain on the bullpen or a terrific demonstration of player management.

Comment

So, we lose again, last night, to the Rays (nothing new or earth shattering about that). I hear on the news this morning that the Rays have TWO starting pitchers on their roster. Three games out of five they're starting a reliever. This is either a terrible strain on the bullpen or a terrific demonstration of player management.
              Can't remember where, but I heard it was a deliberate tactic.
              East Midlands Branch

Comment

• Most games you go into thinking you;ve a 50/50 chance, or perhaps 60/40 against.......but coming up against the Astros, I'd make it more like 80/20 against.
                East Midlands Branch

Comment

Can't remember where, but I heard it was a deliberate tactic.
                  I believe I read the same John but had assumed, at the time, it was temporary. Apparently not so.

Comment

Most games you go into thinking you;ve a 50/50 chance, or perhaps 60/40 against.......but coming up against the Astros, I'd make it more like 80/20 against.
                    Yes, like playing against a cult and not a baseball team.

Comment

I believe I read the same John but had assumed, at the time, it was temporary. Apparently not so.
                      I can understand how it would work in that the starter probably won't be in for long and it then gives the pitching team an advantage because the batting team doesn't know what's happening with the game rotation? The A's were forced into it against the Jays twice I think and the starter lasted 2 innings or so.
                      East Midlands Branch

Comment

I can understand how it would work in that the starter probably won't be in for long and it then gives the pitching team an advantage because the batting team doesn't know what's happening with the game rotation? The A's were forced into it against the Jays twice I think and the starter lasted 2 innings or so.
                        Ergo, the batting lineup doesn't get a good look at the starting pitcher, he's probably in there for three, four innings max. It's obviously a strategy that works against the Jays; swept 3-0 by the Rays and didn't score a run yesterday.

Comment

Ergo, the batting lineup doesn't get a good look at the starting pitcher, he's probably in there for three, four innings max. It's obviously a strategy that works against the Jays; swept 3-0 by the Rays and didn't score a run yesterday.
                          Haaa....well here's how the As employed the tactic yesterday. Starter (we're struggling, loses 3 runs in 1st innings. I start watching the second innings when Mrs F wants a chat so I leave it running whilst chatting to her.........10 mins later, turn my head back to the game and we're 10-0 down and the 2nd innings hasn't even finished! Starting pitcher gone! Relievers in from 3rd innings from whereafter we outscore the Astros, but waaaaayyyyy too late.
                          East Midlands Branch

Comment

Haaa....well here's how the As employed the tactic yesterday. Starter (we're struggling, loses 3 runs in 1st innings. I start watching the second innings when Mrs F wants a chat so I leave it running whilst chatting to her.........10 mins later, turn my head back to the game and we're 10-0 down and the 2nd innings hasn't even finished! Starting pitcher gone! Relievers in from 3rd innings from whereafter we outscore the Astros, but waaaaayyyyy too late.
                            Brutal. Bob Melvin might want to rethink that tactic (against Houston ).

Jays Mark Buehrle's last game for the Jays ended like that, gave up 7 (against the Rays naturally) in the 1st; he was a starter mind you - it puts the team in a huge hole.

Comment

Brutal. Bob Melvin might want to rethink that tactic (against Houston ).

Jays Mark Buehrle's last game for the Jays ended like that, gave up 7 (against the Rays naturally) in the 1st; he was a starter mind you - it puts the team in a huge hole.
                              Compare our and your starting roster with the Astros.

Justin Verlander
                              Gerrit Cole
                              Dallas Keuchel
                              Lance McCullers
                              Charlie Morton

3 of those in the top ten AL starting pitchers by ERA.

Mind you we scored runs against them yesterday, but when you take their offence as well they are a strong outfit.
                              East Midlands Branch

Comment

Compare our and your starting roster with the Astros.

Justin Verlander
                                Gerrit Cole
                                Dallas Keuchel
                                Lance McCullers
                                Charlie Morton

3 of those in the top ten AL starting pitchers by ERA.

Mind you we scored runs against them yesterday, but when you take their offence as well they are a strong outfit.
                                Any of those five will keep a team in a game. Score some runs and, with those starters, the game's a piece o' piss .

Comment

Working...
                                X