Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lancashire County Cricket Club 2018

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I worked this out earlier... so hopefully well remembered. Let's clutch at some straws, but with a degree of realism. This league table below makes the following assumptions:

    * Lancashire win their last match with 24pts.
    * Yorkshire, Hants and Notts lose their remaining matches (and Worcester draw versus Essex in their game in hand).
    * All teams get maximum bowling points (very likely at this time of year).



    Hants 136 + BP from the last match
    Notts 134 + BP from the last match
    Yorks 132 +BPs from two matches
    Lancs 136
    Worcs 123 + BPs from two matches

    So (remembering I've already added in 3 bowling BPs for each team for each remaining match)….

    Hants would be uncatchable. [remember we've won fewer games than everyone else, so level points is not enough for us]

    Notts would finish above us if they get 2 batting points from their last game, even if they do lose.
    Yorks would finish above us if they get 4 batting points from their last two games, even if they do lose them.

    But the biggest straw I'm clutching at in that league table is that Lancs get 5 batting points (genuinely much much less likely than us actually securing a win). So if we score 349, for 3 batting BPs, then Notts are out of sight even with the most desperate defeat. And Yorkshire would only need to find 2 batting BPs from their last two games, even if they do lose them.

    So as a starting point, we MUST score 350... and probably 400... in order to have any sort of chance. Then everything else has to fall into place. Good luck lads!

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Regardless View Post
      I worked this out earlier... so hopefully well remembered. Let's clutch at some straws, but with a degree of realism. This league table below makes the following assumptions:

      * Lancashire win their last match with 24pts.
      * Yorkshire, Hants and Notts lose their remaining matches (and Worcester draw versus Essex in their game in hand).
      * All teams get maximum bowling points (very likely at this time of year).



      Hants 136 + BP from the last match
      Notts 134 + BP from the last match
      Yorks 132 +BPs from two matches
      Lancs 136
      Worcs 123 + BPs from two matches

      So (remembering I've already added in 3 bowling BPs for each team for each remaining match)….

      Hants would be uncatchable. [remember we've won fewer games than everyone else, so level points is not enough for us]

      Notts would finish above us if they get 2 batting points from their last game, even if they do lose.
      Yorks would finish above us if they get 4 batting points from their last two games, even if they do lose them.

      But the biggest straw I'm clutching at in that league table is that Lancs get 5 batting points (genuinely much much less likely than us actually securing a win). So if we score 349, for 3 batting BPs, then Notts are out of sight even with the most desperate defeat. And Yorkshire would only need to find 2 batting BPs from their last two games, even if they do lose them.

      So as a starting point, we MUST score 350... and probably 400... in order to have any sort of chance. Then everything else has to fall into place. Good luck lads!
      Admiring all that.

      Remember listening to an interview with Alex Davies after the signing of Keaton Jennings. He said something along the lines of....yeah with Keaton, me, Livi and Has when we all click it's going to be a matter of how many we get. The answer appears to be about 130 odd

      Even Davies who appears to have done OK is only averaging low 30's, not good enough

      Someone mentioned George Lavelle earlier, apparently David English has him in his top Bunberrys eleven ever. For interest it's Cook, Vaughan, Bell, Hollioake, Root, Flintoff, Ali, Rashid, Finn plus our boy and Rory Hipwell at Hants. So maybe not all and gloom

      Comment


      • Originally posted by bigtallsi View Post
        Admiring all that.

        Remember listening to an interview with Alex Davies after the signing of Keaton Jennings. He said something along the lines of....yeah with Keaton, me, Livi and Has when we all click it's going to be a matter of how many we get. The answer appears to be about 130 odd

        Even Davies who appears to have done OK is only averaging low 30's, not good enough

        Someone mentioned George Lavelle earlier, apparently David English has him in his top Bunberrys eleven ever. For interest it's Cook, Vaughan, Bell, Hollioake, Root, Flintoff, Ali, Rashid, Finn plus our boy and Rory Hipwell at Hants. So maybe not all and gloom


        As for Lavelle being a possible superstar..."not all doom and gloom!" I'm not so sure. I mean what good has Jimmy Anderson been to us in the last decade? Not a lot! And worse still, a chequebook might tempt Lavelle away if he wants first division cricket

        Comment


        • Originally posted by pbc373 View Post
          On paper that looks good, getting hold of decent No 3 & 4's may be a problem in division 2, particularly as we can't seem to compete, when it comes to contracts.

          No mention of Saquib Mahmood, do we see a way back for him.

          Is Chanderpaul injured or been released. I know he's not a had a great season, but surely we needed someone with his experience in a game like the one against Yorkshire, who would have grafted it out.

          For me the coaching staff, have to go, Lancashire has become an old boys club.

          It will be interesting to see if the old guard (Croft/Brown) get the nod on T20's day. I bloody well hope not.

          Bailey & Onions have performed very well this season. Not sure if these stats are before the Yorkshire game, Bailey 53 & 20.85 & Onions 56 @ 20.93, is an outstanding effort. Onions appeared quite critical of the batsmen in interview at the close of play yesterday & rightly so.
          Mahmood was back in the squad for Headingley and played in the seconds game, first proper game for around 3 months. They brought him back too early and he had a recurrence, pretty poor IMO. If he can stay fit, our pace attack should be be the best in division 2.

          I cant see how Brown and Croft can play tomorrow, although they will be in the squad. The top order will be Livingstone, Buttler, Lilley, Davies, Jennings, Vilas, Clark (if doing laps of the concourse has cured his injury) and then the bowlers and Faulkner.

          Well have a season of Lavelle before we go back up - and in any case, once the first team coaches get hold of him hell stop progressing

          Comment


          • Originally posted by pbc373 View Post
            On paper that looks good, getting hold of decent No 3 & 4's may be a problem in division 2, particularly as we can't seem to compete, when it comes to contracts.

            No mention of Saquib Mahmood, do we see a way back for him.

            Is Chanderpaul injured or been released. I know he's not a had a great season, but surely we needed someone with his experience in a game like the one against Yorkshire, who would have grafted it out.

            For me the coaching staff, have to go, Lancashire has become an old boys club.

            It will be interesting to see if the old guard (Croft/Brown) get the nod on T20's day. I bloody well hope not.

            Bailey & Onions have performed very well this season. Not sure if these stats are before the Yorkshire game, Bailey 53 & 20.85 & Onions 56 @ 20.93, is an outstanding effort. Onions appeared quite critical of the batsmen in interview at the close of play yesterday & rightly so.
            I missed the Onions interview, what did he say, broadly?

            Something along the lines of, I've come here to do some bowling and a bit of coaching but ended up knocking me pan in all summer, and as soon as I get back to the dressing rooms and get the bowling boots off I'm strapping the pads on cos we're 30 for 5?

            Comment


            • Originally posted by bigtallsi View Post
              I missed the Onions interview, what did he say, broadly?

              Something along the lines of, I've come here to do some bowling and a bit of coaching but ended up knocking me pan in all summer, and as soon as I get back to the dressing rooms and get the bowling boots off I'm strapping the pads on cos we're 30 for 5?
              https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/45491441

              "There's a lot of emotion, a bit of anger and a bit of disappointment. We're in a position we've been in all year where we've put ourselves massively on the back foot.

              "Credit to Yorkshire, they've dug in. We bowled some pretty good balls at them and they've shown some real character. You have to show determination like Gary Ballance did, and we haven't been able to do that.

              "From my point of view, we've certainly not shown enough character. They've outplayed us in the two days. We won the first day, and they've won the next two. It's very, very disappointing.

              "The batters don't mean to get out. They're training hard, but we just haven't got going at all. We have some good players in that dressing room. But we're losing wickets in clusters. We've got to hold our hands up and be brutally honest - we haven't performed as well as we could have."

              Judging by the first line, I suspect at the end of the third day, there was a few exchanges in the dressing room, between the batsmen and the bowlers.
              Last edited by pbc373; 14-09-2018, 03:35 PM.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by pbc373 View Post
                https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/45491441

                "There's a lot of emotion, a bit of anger and a bit of disappointment. We're in a position we've been in all year where we've put ourselves massively on the back foot.

                "Credit to Yorkshire, they've dug in. We bowled some pretty good balls at them and they've shown some real character. You have to show determination like Gary Ballance did, and we haven't been able to do that.

                "From my point of view, we've certainly not shown enough character. They've outplayed us in the two days. We won the first day, and they've won the next two. It's very, very disappointing.

                "The batters don't mean to get out. They're training hard, but we just haven't got going at all. We have some good players in that dressing room. But we're losing wickets in clusters. We've got to hold our hands up and be brutally honest - we haven't performed as well as we could have."

                Judging by the first line, I suspect at the end of the third day, there was a few exchanges in the dressing room, between the batsmen and the bowlers.
                Thanks for that, and I think you're probably right re: end of third day. I was at the end of the East Lancs just about to get on the M61 when we were 60 odd for 2, Croft offers up one to mid wicket. By the time I was at 31a on the M6 (no queues, just normal flowing traffic) we're 90 odd for 7. So "clusters" might even be under egging it a bit

                Comment


                • Looking forward to tomorrow.

                  Im usually either at footy or rugby on finals day.

                  Come on Lancy!

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by justinr73 View Post
                    Looking forward to tomorrow.

                    Im usually either at footy or rugby on finals day.

                    Come on Lancy!
                    I'm not at all excited right now. It feels a bit pointless but I expect I'll pick up by the morning - once the day arrives. Are you (or anyone on here) going?

                    Feeling a bit deflated myself. But I understand you can get little blue pills that help.

                    Comment


                    • I dont want to think about your blue pills.

                      Not seen any cricket this year due to injury (still on bloody crutches)but I reckon its important that Lancs rescue the season tomorrow:

                      Despite the odd blip, the T20 team have looked a well drilled and well coached outfit.......

                      Comment


                      • Strong looking team. What a difference a couple of batters back makes! Worcs seem to be missing a few and lots might test on Moeen for them.

                        Good weather forecast here so hopefully will see lancs in final tonight. Ill be on the match day thread for once. Hoping crazy is Working today!


                        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                        Comment


                        • Needed those wickets.

                          75 for 4 off 9.

                          Comment


                          • Settling down now. Some poor fielding has cost 10 runs. Moeen was the one we wanted.


                            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                            Comment


                            • Nice of us to give Lester the 19th to give them a chance.

                              Comment


                              • Just 2 poor overs from us have allowed worcs to post a defendable target. Dont know why Livingston booked himself or why he gave lester that last but one over. They should be 20 less. Weve made the same mistakes before. Frustrating.


                                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X