The Tennis Thread 2018

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sepp Blatter View Post
    Been watching young Greek player, Stefanos Tsitsipas - he's moving up the rankings and is the youngest player in the top 20. He's a good serve/volley player who likes to attack the net, so Wimbledon could well suit him.
    Funny how older players seem to dominate nowadays. Is it just one of those things that will pass? Or is it maybe that tennis racquets have advanced such that it reduces the advantages of youth?

Tsitsipas is indeed a prospect. Along with Alexander Zverev. No doubt two who will be darlings of the centre court in the near future.

Comment

Andy's first Grand Slam match for 14 months... and luckily drawn against Jack Duckworth. Bit surprised Andy lost a set given that Jack has been dead a few years. But a win's a win.

Don't know what's up with Kyle Edmund... seems very erratic and poor at the moment. He was cramping up and struggling today - although maybe it was a pull or something (talk of a groin)... but the commentators said cramp was a big issue today. Anyway, he lost to a guy who the bookies were offering 7/1 against winning... in a two-horse race. That's bad!

Heather's gone. Cameron through. So not a great day overall... I'd hoped to see 3 of our single's players get through.

Comment

I wonder if every time Jack Duckworth was beaten by a passing shot he muttered 'flamin' Nora'.
        Dirty Harry. Spouting shite and nowt better to do since 2015.

Comment

No surprise that Konta lost to Garcia.

Comment

Young British girl, Emma Raducanu (15) has broken into the top 1000 this year (one of only seven Under-16s in there).
            Very early days, but worth keeping an eye on her - although to be honest, I know nothing about her other than having watched scoring patterns of some of her matches. Like tonight, battled hard - saving key set points and breaking serve when the other girl was serving for the first set... and after hanging in to take it on a tie break, she ran away with the second. These are traits of good players!

So that's her getting past the 14th seed in the US Open girls championship to reach the quarter-finals (having knocked out the second seed yesterday)

Comment

Born in Canada with a Romanian surname. No doubt the Great British public will embrace her to their collective bosom.

Comment

Originally posted by justinr73 View Post
                Born in Canada with a Romanian surname. No doubt the Great British public will embrace her to their collective bosom.
                I looked a while ago to see her background but found little - other than born in Canada. Do you what qualifies her to be British? Parents? Residence?

I never warm much to sportspeople who adopt a nationality for 'professional' reasons. Like Konta who moved to the UK specifically to improve her tennis career... and multiple cricketers and rugby union players. I find it bizarre that someone can play for one country at Under 19s... then transfer!! I could live with Under 11s...or maybe Under 15s but once you're an adult, it's ridiculous that you can transfer.

I have zero problem with Kyle Edmund who came to the UK very young... or Cameron Norrie... born and brought up in NZ but two British parents.

So which pigeon-hole does Emma belong in? Do you know?

Comment

No I couldn’t see either.

My view is a bit different.

If they’re prepared to put in the hard yards then I’ll get right behind them. KP being the prime example.

And give me Greg over Tim any day of the week.

Comment

No I couldn’t see either.

My view is a bit different.

If they’re prepared to put in the hard yards then I’ll get right behind them. KP being the prime example.

And give me Greg over Tim any day of the week.
                    Really?!!!

Can't understand what you mean by putting in the hard yards.

What hard yards did KP put in? I think he had an English parent, but he seemed entirely south African to me and, as I remember it, chose England simply as a flag of convenience. Same with Greg. I just checked and he only converted to GB 4 yrs after turning pro. For me, that's bullshit!

Comment

All Tim had to do was to be born with a silver spoon in his mouth!

Last time I looked KP had scored more runs for England across all formats than anyone ever. He’ll do for me.

You’ll be saying that Clive Lloyd and Wasim Akram aren’t Lancastrian next.

Comment

All Tim had to do was to be born with a silver spoon in his mouth!

Last time I looked KP had scored more runs for England across all formats than anyone ever. He’ll do for me.

You’ll be saying that Clive Lloyd and Wasim Akram aren’t Lancastrian next.

Think Tim still probably had to show the tenacity to go to his tennis lesson once a week.

KP... can't argue he was a great batsmen. So was Alan Border... doesn't make him English!

Clive and Wasim... don't be ridiculous. Obviously Lancastrian-converts… no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Regardless View Post
                          Turning attention to the future of British tennis... two of our really promising young singles players, Jay Clark (19) and Harriet Dart have teamed up in the senior mixed doubles and have made it through to semi-final. They've got it tough against Jamie Murray & Azarenka in the next hour or so.

Even though Murray and Azarenka are more likely to deliver a grand slam for GB, I think it would be great if the two youngsters got through to the final.

In Boys' singles, we've got Jack Draper playing in the semi-final right now. I've watched a couple of his games, and he looks really competent and he's currently battling 4-5 in the second set, after he took the first one on a tie-break... not been a break of serve in the match yet.

Draper's only 16 too, a year younger than most.
                          Only seen a snippet of tv coverage of Draper since Wimbledon... but see that he won TWO ITF adult men's events this month... as an unseeded player in both, I think. But despite being unseeded, the bookies were generally offering very short odds against him in his matches, so it seems that they money is following him.

In the top 1000 men in the world, he's the four highest ranked Under-18 - and indeed the highest ranked sixteen year old. Actually the only 16yr old in there.

We know that much more often than not, these young prodigies don't make it to the top 20... but definitely a lad worth looking out for.

Comment

Working...
                          X