Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EFL Second round to use VAR at 4 games

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • EFL Second round to use VAR at 4 games

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45289301

    Four EFL Cup second-round ties will trial the use of the video assistant referee (VAR) system, the English Football League has confirmed.

    It will be the first time VAR has been used in multiple games simultaneously.

    Brighton's game against Southampton, Fulham's with Exeter, Leicester's match with Fleetwood and Rotherham's trip to Everton are the matches chosen.

    The trial limits use of VAR to goals, penalty calls, direct red cards and cases of potential mistaken identity.

    The selected ties will take place over 28-29 August.

    "The emphasis of the experiment is to focus on clear and obvious errors," the EFL said in a statement.

    "In this way, the system aims to minimise any interference with the flow of the game and maximise the advantages of reviewing the video replays.

    "Given the subjective nature of football and a desire to maintain the flow and spectacle of the game, the system is not intended to achieve 100% accuracy in every decision.

    "The original decision of the referee on the pitch can only be changed if a video review shows a clear and obvious error."

    Fans in the stadium will see the following messages displayed to keep them in the loop.

    VAR Check in Progress
    VAR Check In Progress - Checking Goal
    VAR Check In Progress - Checking Penalty
    VAR Check In Progress - Checking Red Card
    VAR Check In Progress - Checking Mistaken Identity
    VAR Check Complete
    VAR Check Complete - Original Decision Overturned
    3 Butter Pies and a coke please : D

  • #2
    It's going to come isn't it.

    Comment


    • #3
      Jobs a good en.
      dp/1853677280 Th
      Heal the world, make it a better place, for you and for preach and the entire human race

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by FootballcrazyP_ View Post
        The important thing is that they stick with "The original decision of the referee on the pitch can only be changed if a video review shows a clear and obvious error."

        The mistake made in the WC was allowing referees to review the action and change their decision, even when it was marginal.

        Regardless, you're right it's inevitable but that's great if it's used properly.

        Comment


        • #5
          Meanwhile



          https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45305474

          Comment


          • #6
            It's also going to be trialled in Prem games starting after the winter break. All the stuff will be run but there won't be any communication with the officials. The main point of the exercise is to see if the hub can cope with multiple matches going on at the same time.

            This has always been my point that no one can seem to answer - are there enough officials to cover every prem game sufficiently by VAR?

            Each world cup game used 6 VAR officials, clearly the Prem haven't got that many officials knocking around, and I would suspect that even 1 per match would be a struggle - this is why it was slow when used in the cup matches last season.

            Using a hub to cover many matches may lead to the ref raising the question with the VAR team rather than the other way around. Something I think would work better.

            Neil Swarbrick, local ref, is heading up the VAR team now he's retired from match day officiating.

            However I do have to wonder why this wasn't being done last season before they even considered voting on implementing it. This hub trial would have been the first thing I'd have done.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Tino View Post
              It's also going to be trialled in Prem games starting after the winter break. All the stuff will be run but there won't be any communication with the officials. The main point of the exercise is to see if the hub can cope with multiple matches going on at the same time.

              This has always been my point that no one can seem to answer - are there enough officials to cover every prem game sufficiently by VAR?



              Each world cup game used 6 VAR officials, clearly the Prem haven't got that many officials knocking around, and I would suspect that even 1 per match would be a struggle - this is why it was slow when used in the cup matches last season.

              Using a hub to cover many matches may lead to the ref raising the question with the VAR team rather than the other way around. Something I think would work better.

              Neil Swarbrick, local ref, is heading up the VAR team now he's retired from match day officiating.

              However I do have to wonder why this wasn't being done last season before they even considered voting on implementing it. This hub trial would have been the first thing I'd have done.
              I didn't realise that Swarbs had retired from reffing - is he still working at BAES ??

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Ando60 View Post
                I didn't realise that Swarbs had retired from reffing - is he still working at BAES ??
                I suspect so, he won't be that lucky and the ref retirement age is younger than the normal one! He did a lot of the VAR stuff when it was used last season in prep for this role.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I met Mike Dean on holiday this year, it was really interesting listening to his thoughts on the game, (the world cup was on).
                  He was pretty much against VAR but realises it will probably lengthen his career.
                  He didn't over react when I said refs could be bought, which I though he would vehemently deny any refs of even thinking about.
                  Oh let me get my hands on those .....

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I was hugely against VAR (and still am tbh) but I'm resigned to the fact it will be brought in and I can see why it is needed with some of the incompetent referees in this country.

                    Still think it will ruin the experience for fans at the game though.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by BenPearsonIsGod View Post
                      I was hugely against VAR (and still am tbh) but I'm resigned to the fact it will be brought in and I can see why it is needed with some of the incompetent referees in this country.

                      Still think it will ruin the experience for fans at the game though.
                      Do you really think that referees "in this country" are more incompetent than average? I can't believe so.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Regardless View Post
                        Do you really think that referees "in this country" are more incompetent than average? I can't believe so.
                        Seeing as VAR was supposed to improve results from 96% right to 98% right then clearly they're not.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Regardless View Post
                          Do you really think that referees "in this country" are more incompetent than average? I can't believe so.
                          No I don't, I didn't mean it to imply that they're better in other countries. Was just expressing how gash referees are in general!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by BenPearsonIsGod View Post
                            No I don't, I didn't mean it to imply that they're better in other countries. Was just expressing how gash referees are in general!
                            Players have a lot to answer for with their blatant diving and generally trying to "con" the ref at every opportunity. Without that, VAR may not have been necessary.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X