Neil

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kingpne View Post

It's a good point. However, what I don't like is when we beat Brentford, then drew with Rotherham, and folk say they'd have taken four points from the two.

The cliché is 'taking each game as it comes'; once we beat a good Brentford side, you have to be aiming for three points against a poor Rotherham side, regardless of the result earlier in the week. Just like beating Bristol City doesn't make it acceptable to draw with a poor Hull side.

The draw with Ipswich was a good result, whichever way folk want to look at it. As you say, new manager, they were in our faces, we played poorly and played 20 minutes with 10 men.
    100% agree that because Rotherham beat Swansea and drew with rovers it doesn’t make them good. On their showing at deepdale i thought they were a poor outfit, however we were equally as poor therefore it wasn’t a good result.
    Against Hull i was pleased with the draw simply because how the game panned out but Hull were average at best (picked up lateley mind) on the day, we just decided to play like strangers after 15 mins.
    ipswich was always going to be difficult with lamberts first game then 10 men scenario but we were the side with the better chances, perhaps we should have nicked it?
    next 4/5 games are big as each team seem to have lost very few games this season. Anyway owards and upwards

Comment

• Originally posted by Schofe View Post

100% agree that because Rotherham beat Swansea and drew with rovers it doesn’t make them good. On their showing at deepdale i thought they were a poor outfit, however we were equally as poor therefore it wasn’t a good result.
      Against Hull i was pleased with the draw simply because how the game panned out but Hull were average at best (picked up lateley mind) on the day, we just decided to play like strangers after 15 mins.
      ipswich was always going to be difficult with lamberts first game then 10 men scenario but we were the side with the better chances, perhaps we should have nicked it?
      next 4/5 games are big as each team seem to have lost very few games this season. Anyway owards and upwards
      I think we'll pick up. We have already started to, mind, but we've already played 5 of the top 8 away. Fixtures coming up favour us imo; remember Rovers also drew 1-1 with Rotherham at home. They're no world beaters.
      I'm back.

Comment

• Originally posted by kingpne View Post

It's a good point. However, what I don't like is when we beat Brentford, then drew with Rotherham, and folk say they'd have taken four points from the two.

The cliché is 'taking each game as it comes'; once we beat a good Brentford side, you have to be aiming for three points against a poor Rotherham side, regardless of the result earlier in the week. Just like beating Bristol City doesn't make it acceptable to draw with a poor Hull side.

The draw with Ipswich was a good result, whichever way folk want to look at it. As you say, new manager, they were in our faces, we played poorly and played 20 minutes with 10 men.
        What frustrates me a little is that we've had a couple of cracking results in this little run and yet people can't forget that disappointing draw against Rotherham.

Facts are, we've been shite for the first part of this season and now results (if the league table doesn't lie then results don't lie either) are improving. I just don't get it - does it matter whether we were unlucky, lucky, crap, brilliant? Its not about how good we are or whether we deserve it - at the moment its about staying in the game.

7 games ago we were in massive danger of slipping out of it altogether - now we're back with more than a fighting chance. The team and manager deserve credit for their tenacity if nothing else.
        Recommended ignore list: 05simpsonm, bsk4ever, Hans Asperges, PNE4LIFE, preach, billymac

Comment

• Originally posted by simo View Post

What frustrates me a little is that we've had a couple of cracking results in this little run and yet people can't forget that disappointing draw against Rotherham.

Facts are, we've been shite for the first part of this season and now results (if the league table doesn't lie then results don't lie either) are improving. I just don't get it - does it matter whether we were unlucky, lucky, crap, brilliant? Its not about how good we are or whether we deserve it - at the moment its about staying in the game.

7 games ago we were in massive danger of slipping out of it altogether - now we're back with more than a fighting chance. The team and manager deserve credit for their tenacity if nothing else.
          Spot on. Yes drawing with Rotherham wasn't great but people seem to forget we had some bad results at home for the past two/three seasons against lesser sides - drawing with sunderland and Barnsley last season and drawing with Rotherham, MK Dons and Burton in previous seasons.

At the bottom we are fighting for ever point we can get. Not getting a win is disappointing but if we can't get the win we need to make sure we pick up at least a point and we have. Against Hull we was awful - fully deserved to get beat 3 or 4 nil but we still end up with a point. The team deserve huge credit for doing that and they showed huge resilience in getting that result. We can't play well all the time - just as any other team (apart from Man City) but as you said it's not about how good we are - it's about picking up as many points as we can.

Comment

I think the Rotherham one is enhanced in people's minds because it was 3 days after a cracking performance vs Brentford. The previous home game to that we stuffed Wigan. People had probably thought the corner was well and truly turned and a team with no away wins in 30 games or something were coming up and we put in a really poor performance.

But in another context it extended our unbeaten run to 5 and was 7 points from 3 home games. Just depends how you want to look at it. I don't think anyone has been highlighting Rotherham in the run more than the wins at Bristol or vs Brentford etc.

Comment

• What's wrong with you people?

Have you all already forgotten what it was like under GREYson?

Comment

Well said.

Comment

Can see you go down the AN way of thinking ,in that it's the result that matters and nothing else.A few managers take this view but plenty of others don't. Many take the opposite view preferring to concentrate on the level of performance in each game and if it's up to the required level then in the end the results will take care of themselves. This is a similar approach to athlete concentrating on the process ,not the outcome.
                  The short term results based focus, imo, is out dated and best way to accomplish a high finishing position at the end of the season is to focus on the process and performance levels from game to game.
                  PNEs next match up is against a manager ( Mowbray) who takes the performance based approach.

Comment

• Originally posted by PNEroulette View Post

Can see you go down the AN way of thinking ,in that it's the result that matters and nothing else.A few managers take this view but plenty of others don't. Many take the opposite view preferring to concentrate on the level of performance in each game and if it's up to the required level then in the end the results will take care of themselves. This is a similar approach to athlete concentrating on the process ,not the outcome.
                    The short term results based focus, imo, is out dated and best way to accomplish a high finishing position at the end of the season is to focus on the process and performance levels from game to game.
                    PNEs next match up is against a manager ( Mowbray) who takes the performance based approach.
                    When you are where we were 7 games ago nothing matters but points. Perhaps if/when we've put the plastics away we can start wringing our hands a bit more about performance levels but for now its basically stay swimming in my opinion.
                    Recommended ignore list: 05simpsonm, bsk4ever, Hans Asperges, PNE4LIFE, preach, billymac

Comment

• Originally posted by splays View Post
                      What's wrong with you people?

Have you all already forgotten what it was like under GREYson?
                      Ticking a few marsbar boxes you mate.

Comment

• Originally posted by PNEroulette View Post

I have to disagree with most of this because lets be honest managers are judged on results not performances. We need to play well we know that but good teams find a way to get a result when not playing well. The amount of times teams aiming for promotion end up winning when not playing well is astounding. Managers care about results because if they didn't then they wouldn't be employing time wasting tactics in an away game with ten minutes to go. And I think you are being quite harsh on Neil saying it's results that matter and nothing else. His interviews after the Hull, Rothertham and Ipswich draws showed that he was quite disappointed with how we played and was disappointed with the results. The three wins we played well so that is irrelevant. In fact based on what I have read in AN's interviews and what you said I think the way AN comes across is completely the opposite.
                        Short term results aren't outdated because if they where then we wouldn't see as many sackings as we do. Most managers in the prem and championship are focussed on results trust me on that.

Comment

• Originally posted by White123 View Post

I have to disagree with most of this because lets be honest managers are judged on results not performances. We need to play well we know that but good teams find a way to get a result when not playing well. The amount of times teams aiming for promotion end up winning when not playing well is astounding. Managers care about results because if they didn't then they wouldn't be employing time wasting tactics in an away game with ten minutes to go. And I think you are being quite harsh on Neil saying it's results that matter and nothing else. His interviews after the Hull, Rothertham and Ipswich draws showed that he was quite disappointed with how we played and was disappointed with the results. The three wins we played well so that is irrelevant. In fact based on what I have read in AN's interviews and what you said I think the way AN comes across is completely the opposite.
                          Short term results aren't outdated because if they where then we wouldn't see as many sackings as we do. Most managers in the prem and championship are focussed on results trust me on that.
                          On radio Lancashire a few months back they debated the topic . Think they got quotes from differing managers ,and pretty sure AN was strongly down the result angle and that the game had gone and its whatever points you got from it that mattered. Whereas Mowbray was straight down the "if we keep performing at a certain level the results will take care of themselves."
                          Clearly results aren't everything, Real Madrid have sacked mangers who have won league titles for them and McCarthy appeared to get hounded out of Ipswich due to performance style rather than results.
                          If performance levels are good or results are good or hopefully both then everything will be fine for AN. It's when performance levels and results are poor over a protracted period of time that he will be on shakey ground.

Comment

• Originally posted by budgierustler View Post
                            That was poor today and, for what its worth, I think the manager`s position may well be under review soon
                            You wrote this after we'd just gone a sixth game unbeaten. Since then, that run has become one defeat in eleven. All under the massive pressure of key injuries left, right and centre.

Are you still thinking Alex Neil should be sacked?

Comment

• Funny thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by Regardless View Post

You wrote this after we'd just gone a sixth game unbeaten. Since then, that run has become one defeat in eleven. All under the massive pressure of key injuries left, right and centre.

Are you still thinking Alex Neil should be sacked?
                                To be fair, Budgierustler's post says the managers position 'may be under review' . He doesn't say anywhere as far as I can see that Neil should be sacked. I'm sure Neil's position WAS indeed under a review of some sort at that time because I'm certain he would have been called in to the office to explain our position and performances then, both of which were pretty dire. Let 's face it, If you trawl back far enough through any other posters comments I'm sure you could find plenty to leave them with egg on their faces anyway.
                                Just saying, like.
                                Dirty Harry. Spouting shite and nowt better to do since 2015.

Comment

Working...
                                X