Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meeting TH

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Originally posted by Liberation View Post



    I think TH is a bit like the comments most of us ( of a certain age ) used to get at the bottom of our school reports... " Tried hard ( ish ) but could do better...
    I used to get, "lazy bastard, waste of space!"
    "The gig economy is nothing new, its simply the reincarnation of an ancient evil."

    Justin Welby

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by raefil View Post

      I used to get, "lazy bastard, waste of space!"

      My parents received a report from the college I went to and in it, one of the tutors wrote they couldn't comment on my performance as they hadn't seen me for most of the term
      It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by MrHodgeheg123 View Post


        My parents received a report from the college I went to and in it, one of the tutors wrote they couldn't comment on my performance as they hadn't seen me for most of the term
        In the 2nd year of secondary school (now year 8) my dad was chuffed to bits when my PE report said 'Harry has a tremendous amount of cricketing skill and knowledge for a boy of his age. He must be encouraged to maintain his interest and participation in the sport as I believe he could have a future in the game.' A few weeks later the same teacher gave me a permanent ban from playing for the school team after I was abusive to a visiting umpire. Cheers, Sir.
        Dirty Harry. Spouting shite and nowt better to do since 2015.

        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by pne99 View Post
          And anyone who understands football knows that every player, at every club, has their price. Whether someone is willing to pay that price is a different matter.
          Of course, this is true. But surely it isn't unreasonable to expect such players to be adequately replaced? In my experience of supporting NE, over more than 60 years, this has rarely happened.

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by ushtey View Post

            The impression I got was, it wasn't a case of specifically not backing AN, it was a collective decision to look only for the right deals and that agents and players have a lot more say in where they go or don't go than they used to. Not to mention prices going up because clubs think you have more money to spend and players being valued for more just because of that. Having the money is different when everyone else knows you have the money.
            That plus confidence in the coaching team to improve the players we already had to fit the systems AN wants. TH spoke very highly of AN and the players as a group. As well as investing behind the scenes in the club infrastructure generally.
            This seems to be in with what has been said at forums since TH took over. Weíd all like to see more money spent but it isnít as straight forward as getting the cheque book out unless people are saying we should throw £100M at it in one season.

            There will be teams who have spent £40M+ this season in transfer fees and wages who donít go up. We canít compete with that, so we need to be smarter, bringing in players who we can afford and turning them into the quality of player who we couldnít afford if they were the finished article. Even then itís not easy, as there are a number of other clubs applying the same business model, so the market is very competitive. Also as soon as the transfer fees get above £2M the salary demands of the players involved would be way outside our salary structure, and whilst brining one or two players in on higher salaries may be possible from a financial perspective; it would almost certainly have a big impact on the morale of the rest of the squad.

            So that sets the framework we are now working within, bringing players in around the £1M mark (from the rumours that were around in the summer we are prepared to go above that if the right player comes along, but the salary demands of the player would be a limiting factor).

            Personally iíd like to see us make better use of the loan market or look to sign out of contract players,where we could bring in more quality without going outside the salary structure (I.e. by paying a loan fee or inflated signing on fee we wonít be paying the players involved more that the existing squad members). Even then we would need to be very careful that we werenít bringing in a big time Charlie who may upset the dressing room (apparently whilst McGeady was undoubtably talented, he wasnít the most popular player in the dressing room).

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by Town_ender View Post

              This seems to be in with what has been said at forums since TH took over. Weíd all like to see more money spent but it isnít as straight forward as getting the cheque book out unless people are saying we should throw £100M at it in one season.

              There will be teams who have spent £40M+ this season in transfer fees and wages who donít go up. We canít compete with that, so we need to be smarter, bringing in players who we can afford and turning them into the quality of player who we couldnít afford if they were the finished article. Even then itís not easy, as there are a number of other clubs applying the same business model, so the market is very competitive. Also as soon as the transfer fees get above £2M the salary demands of the players involved would be way outside our salary structure, and whilst brining one or two players in on higher salaries may be possible from a financial perspective; it would almost certainly have a big impact on the morale of the rest of the squad.

              So that sets the framework we are now working within, bringing players in around the £1M mark (from the rumours that were around in the summer we are prepared to go above that if the right player comes along, but the salary demands of the player would be a limiting factor).

              Personally iíd like to see us make better use of the loan market or look to sign out of contract players,where we could bring in more quality without going outside the salary structure (I.e. by paying a loan fee or inflated signing on fee we wonít be paying the players involved more that the existing squad members). Even then we would need to be very careful that we werenít bringing in a big time Charlie who may upset the dressing room (apparently whilst McGeady was undoubtably talented, he wasnít the most popular player in the dressing room).
              The loan Market has now become a travesty as well. It can cost us say 2 million quid to loan Sam Gallagher and he still wont be our player. In this case, i'd rather we looked down the Leagues for a Perm who might come off. 2 million quid to us is massive really and we can't afford to waste it on loans.

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by Mickypne View Post

                The loan Market has now become a travesty as well. It can cost us say 2 million quid to loan Sam Gallagher and he still wont be our player. In this case, i'd rather we looked down the Leagues for a Perm who might come off. 2 million quid to us is massive really and we can't afford to waste it on loans.
                Agree, and that is our current policy/business model. However, in most cases players brought in from the lower leagues are unlikely to be the finished article, so the question is how we get the quality of player in key positions (primarily a ball playing midfielder and a proven goal scorer at Championship level), that would give us the push we would need to become serious promotion contenders. As I said in my original post, it wouldnít be without risk and if the move didnít workout it could be a costly option, but I canít think of another way to bring in the quality needed in the short term within our current salary structure.

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by Town_ender View Post

                  Agree, and that is our current policy/business model. However, in most cases players brought in from the lower leagues are unlikely to be the finished article, so the question is how we get the quality of player in key positions (primarily a ball playing midfielder and a proven goal scorer at Championship level), that would give us the push we would need to become serious promotion contenders. As I said in my original post, it wouldnít be without risk and if the move didnít workout it could be a costly option, but I canít think of another way to bring in the quality needed in the short term within our current salary structure.
                  That's the thing, we aren't likely to..
                  Was du heute kannst versorgen, verschiebe nichts auf morgen...

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X