No announcement yet.

Championship Clubs Threaten EFL Breakaway

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe if the clubs cracked down on the players agents and the amount of wages mediocre footballers demand, they would be better of, as that is where all the money is going in football. I can't get my head round how an agent gets a percentage of a transfer fee from the club. Why can the two clubs not just email each other. The only fee the agent should get is from his client.

Comment

Originally posted by Tark View Post

Two Murdoch papers kicking up shit to maintain the SKY monopoly over televised footy.
      Not sure they'll have the monopoly for long, particularly with Scudamore's successor now officially announced. 5 years it could well be a Facebook, Amazon Prime, Netflix style mash up along with some other platform that no one's ever heard of currently being coded by some spotty youth in their bedroom

Comment

I think the EFL chasing Sky Money is bad news, they should do like the Prem do. Offer package of Games. each package should contain x Championship games, x League 1 and x League 2. that way, League 1 and 2 would get more TV Games. And then offer Cup game packages.
        3 Butter Pies and a coke please : D

Comment

Originally posted by FootballcrazyP_ View Post
          I think the EFL chasing Sky Money is bad news, they should do like the Prem do. Offer package of Games. each package should contain x Championship games, x League 1 and x League 2. that way, League 1 and 2 would get more TV Games. And then offer Cup game packages.
          That may work, but in reality who is going to pay much for league 2 matches? The clubs could actually end up being far worse off.

Plus the package thing works for the prem as it allocates "first picks" etc. which wouldn't really work in the Championship due to it being far more unpredictable.

Comment

Originally posted by Tino View Post
            I have to wonder if the Leeds owner, who also owns a TV company who currently have the rights to La Liga and Serie A is pushing this so that his company can try and take over the rights.... Leeds have also complained in the past about the amount of times they're chosen to be on tv.
            As sure as Shite it'll all be about money. I despair for football. Greedy players, agents, owners, TV companies not sure where it'll all end but I get less and less interested in it every year,sadly.

Comment

Originally posted by bigtallsi View Post

Not sure they'll have the monopoly for long, particularly with Scudamore's successor now officially announced. 5 years it could well be a Facebook, Amazon Prime, Netflix style mash up along with some other platform that no one's ever heard of currently being coded by some spotty youth in their bedroom
              Whilst a Sky monopoly isnít ideal itís the cheapest option for the fans in the current climate whilst media companies are allowed exclusive access (e.g. the cost of Sky sports plus the additional season ticket for the remaining games was cheaper than Sky sports plus BT who now show those games). The only way fans are not going to be screwed is if the UK government/EU ban exclusivity. However,that would be fought tooth and nail by both the broadcasters and the sports involved, as it would result in a massive reduction in their income.

Comment

I have been watching the cricket from Sri Lanka this morning and the local commentator was saying how the local school kids were given time off to attend the Test Match and that the matches were all shown on free to air TV.

It just makes you feel that we are among just a few countries that get ripped off especially with football, although boxing fans are required to pay extra on top?

Comment

Originally posted by Town_ender View Post

Whilst a Sky monopoly isnít ideal itís the cheapest option for the fans in the current climate whilst media companies are allowed exclusive access (e.g. the cost of Sky sports plus the additional season ticket for the remaining games was cheaper than Sky sports plus BT who now show those games). The only way fans are not going to be screwed is if the UK government/EU ban exclusivity. However,that would be fought tooth and nail by both the broadcasters and the sports involved, as it would result in a massive reduction in their income.
                  the problem with the ban on exclusivity is that you then get a number of providers all charging for their version of the same product - for my sins I pay for sky at the mo which means that I would have to pay BT extra money for their games and the Champs League, which I refuse to do. More providers, unless they are actually competing with each other, just means more cost.

Comment

If some clubs decide to leave the EFL, effectively creating PL2, I suspect theyíll restrict it to 20 clubs. This would probably mean the 20 Ďbiggestí clubs in the EFL, and could conceivably not include PNE. They may include current lower divisions clubs such as Sunderland and Portsmouth. This would inevitably lead to a complete restructuring of the EFL which would bring some of the top National League into the EFL. Of course, if the top clubs in the PL join a breakaway European Super League, that would further complicate matters.

This could end end in a complete mess and English football would really suffer.

Comment

Something else to consider Kathryn is that the big Prem clubs are looking for a bit more free time to fit in matches in America, Australia and the Middle East, so cutting the top league down to say 16 would give this to them.

A second tier would be say 20 clubs which would cut it down to around 36 teams which would make it a few less when they are sharing out the spoils and would has you say, leave us on the outside looking in.

Comment

Originally posted by Tino View Post

That may work, but in reality who is going to pay much for league 2 matches? The clubs could actually end up being far worse off.

Plus the package thing works for the prem as it allocates "first picks" etc. which wouldn't really work in the Championship due to it being far more unpredictable.
                        The point is the EFL will in each package put 20 championship Games, 5-10 League 1 and League 2 games. You have to buy the package with these in and with all Packages having the same number of games, it's up companies to pay for 1 or more packages. League 1 and 2 has some really good games, but miss out.
                        3 Butter Pies and a coke please : D

Comment

Originally posted by Retfordpete View Post

the problem with the ban on exclusivity is that you then get a number of providers all charging for their version of the same product - for my sins I pay for sky at the mo which means that I would have to pay BT extra money for their games and the Champs League, which I refuse to do. More providers, unless they are actually competing with each other, just means more cost.
                          The extra cost will mean that more has been spent on buying the rights.

Susanna Dinnage, just like Richard Scudamore, only has one KPI at the Premier League and that is to rinse as much money from the TV deals as possible, hence Scudamore trousered 11m from each of the last 2 deals. Incredible amounts of money pass through that organisation particularly when you consider the headcount is about 140.

She also has a bit of previous with Sky around them not paying enough for the content she was providing them with.

Anyway, time will tell, but can't see anything but more providers showing football going forward

Bleak

Comment

Originally posted by California_PNE View Post

ive really enjoyed the autumn internationals mate
                            Ireland were tremendous tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Town_ender View Post

The cheapest option remains not to subscribe at all. And risk a decrease in overall viewing and interest much like cricket has suffered over the years. I suppose as long as the moguls expand viewers worldwide they wont really care. Personally Ive lost much interest due to a mix of cost, loss of traditional values and an overhyped product. The obligatory minutes silence every week is becoming quite apt.

Comment

So, there was apparently a meeting held at Villa Park today attended by 7 clubs.

villa
                                leeds
                                derby
                                forest
                                west brom
                                stoke
                                preston

Some sort of statement is going to be issued soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X