Injuries to North End players since July 2017

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Injuries to North End players since July 2017

The dates in the table following are taken from reports of player unavailability (and subsequent availability) for games during season 2017-18.

This information is in the public domain. It's not leaked from the club or elsewhere.

It's presented here so that readers of the forum may inform themselves of the facts.

I'm relying on the forum to provide feedback, where there are errors or gaps. However, it feels like this is a fairly good starting point.

The letter 'r' indicates that the player possibly suffered a recurrence of an injury. (That's not definite though. Similarly with the word 'total'.)

2017-18 Injuries
    Inj. Date PNE player name Injury type Ret. Date
    Woods groin ?
    Clarke achilles 17 Nov 7 months
    Welsh shoulder 25 Jul
    Harrop ------ 22 Jul
    7 Jul Rudd thigh 5 Aug total 4+ months
    ? Woods ?knee 5 Sep 2 months ?
    15 Gallagher tight hamstring 5 Aug
    19 May tight quad 5 Aug
    22 Hugill ------ 5 Aug
    22 Davies groin 5 Aug
    25 Maxwell hip 5 Aug
    28? Harrop ------ 12 Aug
    6 Aug Rudd thigh 5 Sep
    9 Mavididi ------ 19 Aug
    15 Cunningham hamstring 26 Dec 4 months
    15 Gallagher concussion 5 Sep
    26 Pearson thigh 14 Oct 6 weeks
    26 Johnson ------ 16 Sep
    5 Sep Woods ?knee 12 Sep
    6 Rudd thigh 17 Nov
    12 Gallagher shingles 21 Oct
    12 Fisher groin 23 Sep
    26 Welsh calf 14 Oct total 5 weeks
    7 Oct Spurr medial ligament 27 Jan 2.5 months
    14 Maguire thigh/hammy 28 Oct total 4.5 months
    15 Welsh r ?calf 4 Nov
    21 Davies appendicitis 21 Nov
    21 Vermijl ------ 4 Nov total 2.5 months
    1 Nov Maguire r hamstring 3 Mar
    1 Woods knee 17 Nov
    1 Earl medial ligament 20 Jan 2.5 months
    4 Fisher groin 21 Nov
    4 Vermijl r ------ 6 Jan
    21 Mavididi hamstring 9 Dec
    26 Woods hamstring 26 Dec total 2 months
    2 Dec Clarke calf 9 Dec
    9 Clarke r calf 16 Dec
    16 Fisher hip 27 Jan 6 weeks
    6 Jan Woods r hamstring 27 Jan
    6 Huntington hamstring 20 Jan
    14 Pearson knee 30 Jan
    20 Davies hamstring 17 Feb 4 weeks
    20 Hugill concussion 27 Jan
    3 Feb Pearson knock ? 20 Feb
    3 Clarke knee 10 Mar 5 weeks
    10 Gallagher hamstring 24 Feb total 5 weeks
    17 Johnson head 3 Mar
    6 Mar Gallagher r hamstring 17 Mar
    7 Moult illness 17 Mar
    10 Cunningham hamstring 30 Mar
    7 Apr Johnson virus 14 Apr
    7 Fisher hamstring 14 Apr
    10 Maguire hamstring 21 Apr
    28 Davies ------ ?
    28 Woods ? ------ ?

30th March 2018 was a special date - that's when the club cleared all known injuries.
    (as far as this data goes).

The list above was posted about a week ago. I deliberately waited before posting again, so that there was time for corrections and additions.

It's not a big surprise that there haven't been any. It's a year ago, after all.

Now for some comments. A few players had a torrid time with injuries in 2017-18. Calum Woods was one of those. I couldn't quite get enough information about the full history but at the start of the pre-season it was reported that he had a groin injury.

The next news was that (on 5 Sep) he was returning from a serious knee injury.

Forward two months to 1 Nov and he was subbed at half-time in the home tie against Villa. In fact, so was Josh Earl. The early news was that both had suffered a medial knee ligament injury. Two in one match.

Earl took 2.5 months to recover but Woods took a couple of weeks. I don't know whether it was a recurrence of the earlier knee injury - not enough information.

What everyone remembers from last season is the glut of simultaneous defender injuries: Clarke, Cunningham, Spurr, Vermijl, Woods, Earl. Six injured plus Davies (appendix) and Hunts (suspended). All unavailable for the second half of that Villa game.

The back line: Fisher, Browne, Boyle, O'Connor.

Fisher went off injured in the next game. It wasn't just defenders: Maguire and Welsh had long terms out. Pearson missed about 6 weeks in Sep/Oct.

What isn't noticed so much about 2017-18 is the number of hamstring injuries that continued to exclude players from Nov through to March. Apart from Maguire, eight hamstring injuries.

I thought I would also mention the knee ligment injuries since two more players did their ACLs in 2018-19 and there seemed to be at least 3 medial ligament injuries in 2017-18.

To be fair to the club, this overall situation has been noticed.

Comment

Snodgrass took out Earl with a nasty deliberate challenge.

What's your point?
      RIP Kurt
      Best mates for 14 years
      09/98 - 11/06/12

Comment

JD: if you mean about knee ligaments - I suspect at least one forum member will be able to comment on this.

I haven't quite finished with this but I know that the manager has observed that hamstring and thigh injuries could theoretically be training-related.

He didn't mention ligaments. I can't comment personally. I take your point about nasty challenges though.

Comment

I feel that 3g/4g pitches are killers for knee ligament injuries but also wonder about the new breed of hybrid natural grass pitches too.
          "The gig economy is nothing new, its simply the reincarnation of an ancient evil."

Justin Welby

Comment

Originally posted by epsilon View Post
            JD: if you mean about knee ligaments - I suspect at least one forum member will be able to comment on this.

I haven't quite finished with this but I know that the manager has observed that hamstring and thigh injuries could theoretically be training-related.

He didn't mention ligaments. I can't comment personally. I take your point about nasty challenges though.
            My point was that behind an injury, there could be a nasty challenge. The player might not fully break down until 10 - 15 minutes later, unaware to the extent of the injury after said challenge.

Snodgrass did Earl on purpose, didn't even get a Yellow.
            RIP Kurt
            Best mates for 14 years
            09/98 - 11/06/12

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Daniels View Post

My point was that behind an injury, there could be a nasty challenge. The player might not fully break down until 10 - 15 minutes later, unaware to the extent of the injury after said challenge.

Seem to remember a few bad challenges in that game that went unpunished

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Daniels View Post

Bloody nasty tackle that on Earl.
                Josh Earl 19, Josh Harrop 22,Ben Davies 22, Ben Pearson 23, Callum Robinson 23, Alan Browne 23, Sean Maguire 24, Darnell Fisher 24, Tom Barkhuizen 24, Ryan Ledson 20, Jordan Storey 20, Graham Burke 24, Connor Simpson 18.These young players are our future.

Comment

Originally posted by epsilon View Post

Where and when did Neil say that the injuries could be related to training , I suspect that's been taken out of context
                  Great minds discuss ideas.

Comment

mapping, you may be right. Thanks for pointing it out.

Wrote it too quickly.

There is an acknowledgement that overload (if that's the right word) [in training] could lead to thigh injuries and hamstring injuries. Neil made this point.

[I've adopted the habit of putting edits in square brackets.]
                    Last edited by epsilon; 10-01-2019, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Canít help wonder why all these young guns are coming up with muscle injuries and the old soldiers like Clarke and Huntington just keep marching on?

Comment

Working...
                      X