Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by spender View Post
    As long as it pains me to agree with sf I do on this occasion
    It was never a foul, disgraceful refereeing.

Comment

There was a similar challenge on Pearson in the first half which the ref didnít even give a free kick for, the inconsistency is incredible.

Comment

Only seen the second booking once on Quest... camera was not zoomed in.

It didn't look a shocking decision based on that. Did seem to lunge a bit with studs up. But then... I didn't get the view some of you guys will have had.

Comment

Things happen quickly and refs canít always get a good view of an incident and rely upon their assistants.

As per the title it is the inconsistent application of the laws that upsets. A particular favourite seems to be the approach differing either side of half time usually lenient first 45 and then draconian second 45.

this is both for foul play and in particular time wasting and kicking the ball away.

Im not sure what the game will look like in another 20 years maybe no tacking no heading no supporters...

Earl was very unlucky to be off. The first could have been a warning, was it his first foul? Very similar to a pull back on one of ours in the second half where a free kick was enough.

The second for me his first touch was a bit poor forcing him to stretch and make a challenge which I thought live he got the ball. On watching it I still think he got the ball but then may have got a bit of the man. As alluded to above Pearson appeared to be the victim of a similar challenge, nothing given.

I didnít think the ref was too bad overall and both our pen and Earls 2nd yellow seemed to be his assistants calls

Comment

Originally posted by deepdaledreamer View Post
            I Didn't think the first one was a yellow. Swansea Player waved a card and Earl got booked (Personally think anyone who does that should themselves get a yellow). From where I was sat (Finney more or less in line) second one looked like he went in a little studs up but not dangerously. Yellow maybe for that!I
            Unlucky to be sent off IMO.
            Swansea haven't changed much from last time they where in the Championship, they have diving and conning the ref off to a fine art.
            Wasn't this a rule whereby any player 'waving' for a card would automatically get one themselves? Did it just peter out?

Comment

Originally posted by Muzza View Post

Wasn't this a rule whereby any player 'waving' for a card would automatically get one themselves? Did it just peter out?
              I never quite got that rule either. When a player lunges in with a bad challenge in a domestic match his team mates will usually surround the offender aggressively (well, I say aggressively, for a footballer that's more likely 'handbags' with a pathetic shove in the chest), and they will likely be all over the ref demanding something is done about the challenge. Waving an imaginary card in the air - wasn't it something that began in world cups when foreign players simply couldn't speak the same language as the ref? In which case I never really saw what the difference was. We do it ourselves in the crowd too, with our chants of 'off, off, off' don't we?

Dirty Harry. Spouting shite and nowt better to do since 2015.

Comment

I believe that there is a referees accessor at each game? I would love to listen in on the discussion that follows our matches!

Comment

Just watched the highlights.

The Swansea player definitely moves his elbow towards the ball, penalty.

There's a definite case for Earl's challenge being two-footed even though he wins the ball, under the current rules its probably the correct decision. Pussy game now.

Comment

Earl did lunge in the tackle which is now outlawed so can have no complaints imo. He was on the wrong side of the man he was marking for the first booking which was just clever play by his opponent. I donít think it was an intentional foul but thatís the refs quandary. Over 50% of bookings are unnecessary as players go down too easily buts thatís modern football. I donít like it but itís hard to prove. Do the powers that be think that it makes the game more exciting with more bookings, sending offs and penalties? Probably !

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Harry View Post
                      I never quite got that rule either. When a player lunges in with a bad challenge in a domestic match his team mates will usually surround the offender aggressively (well, I say aggressively, for a footballer that's more likely 'handbags' with a pathetic shove in the chest), and they will likely be all over the ref demanding something is done about the challenge. Waving an imaginary card in the air - wasn't it something that began in world cups when foreign players simply couldn't speak the same language as the ref? In which case I never really saw what the difference was. We do it ourselves in the crowd too, with our chants of 'off, off, off' don't we?
                      referees need to have respect from players. Surrounding referees and demanding a cards be shown are players telling refs how to do their job. It should be an automatic yellow. It didnít start in the World Cup. It started with Chelsea surrounding refs all the time. Drogba used to do it a lot. He can speak perfect English.

we shout Ďoff, off, off.í We pay money to watch the football match and can shout whatever we want within reason. They get paid thousands of pounds and should behave better. Surrounding refs and shouting at them or waving cards isnít showing refs respect.

Comment

For me earls challenge was a yellow card, silly challenge when already Ona yellow. His first was questionable though. There were many fouls by Swansea yesterday that went unpunished and certainly the foul late in the game on Pearson should have been a yellow. Twice yesterday whilst Swansea were on a break they pulled our players back, trying to gain an advantage, neither seen by any of the refs.
                        Oh let me get my hands on those .....

Comment

Originally posted by BARE LANE WHITE View Post
                          Things happen quickly and refs canít always get a good view of an incident and rely upon their assistants.

As per the title it is the inconsistent application of the laws that upsets. A particular favourite seems to be the approach differing either side of half time usually lenient first 45 and then draconian second 45.

this is both for foul play and in particular time wasting and kicking the ball away.

Im not sure what the game will look like in another 20 years maybe no tacking no heading no supporters...

Earl was very unlucky to be off. The first could have been a warning, was it his first foul? Very similar to a pull back on one of ours in the second half where a free kick was enough.

The second for me his first touch was a bit poor forcing him to stretch and make a challenge which I thought live he got the ball. On watching it I still think he got the ball but then may have got a bit of the man. As alluded to above Pearson appeared to be the victim of a similar challenge, nothing given.

I didnít think the ref was too bad overall and both our pen and Earls 2nd yellow seemed to be his assistants calls
                          Good post, and in line with other comments on the thread you've highlighted a fan's frustration at the direction the game is gong in re tackling. It's what I've thought for a while now ie some supporters are drifting away because more and more games are insipid and/or spoilt by needless red cards. I'm not far off this myself.

A mate of mine described the Swansea game yesterday as one which demonstrated everything that's wrong with the modern game. A poor ref who wanted to be involved too much, a lack of action because there was too much focus on negative tactics, falling over given the benefit over those putting in tackles, a soft red card that spoilt the end of the game (nb sadly, I agree that it was justified by current rules) and a lack of atmosphere because the game only got going on 70 mins, only to be shut down 10 mins later by the red card. Maybe the FA will realise this and rebalance the rules to give the benefit of doubt to the tackler and to keep players on the pitch, but then again maybe the FA will just continue to be a useless chocolate teapot of an organisation which listens only to the money-men (and women!).

Comment

Originally posted by White123 View Post

referees need to have respect from players. Surrounding referees and demanding a cards be shown are players telling refs how to do their job. It should be an automatic yellow. It didnít start in the World Cup. It started with Chelsea surrounding refs all the time. Drogba used to do it a lot. He can speak perfect English.

we shout Ďoff, off, off.í We pay money to watch the football match and can shout whatever we want within reason. They get paid thousands of pounds and should behave better. Surrounding refs and shouting at them or waving cards isnít showing refs respect.
                            I didn't mean the last World Cup in particular -I meant many previous world cups ago. There's no way Drogba started it - I remember players doing it way, way before he came along.

Dirty Harry. Spouting shite and nowt better to do since 2015.

Comment

Thatís a good point regarding the falling over. Swansea did it most of the game, they just leave there legs stationary and awaiting a touch and over they go. Fisher did it late on and also gained a foul, but for me they shouldnít be given. It is not a non contact sport, and referees along with the FA and the supporters need to decide whatís is acceptable and what is not. I want to see dangerous tackles out of the game, but I also want to see, play acting, diving, time wasting, haranguing the referee all done away with. Referees have to be stronger, and any bit of decent given a yellow very quickly.
                              Oh let me get my hands on those .....

Comment

Just watching the Everton v Bournemouth game and it appears to be refereed under a different set of laws. Everton should have had three red cards by now. Sigurdson just rugby tackled a player and didnít even get a yellow.
                                Just our luck we got a premiership ref at Rotherham and he failed to apply the laws.

Comment

Working...
                                X