X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Players Incoming?

So says Alex...

Originally posted by Alex
    "We are still looking for players, we want to try and finish the window with as strong a squad as possible and so never say never."
    Notice he said players, not player.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46766456
    RIP Kurt
    Best mates for 14 years
    09/98 - 11/06/12

Originally posted by Jack Daniels View Post
    So says Alex...

Notice he said players, not player.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46766456
    I'd suggest that his words meant that the club doesn't have a particular player in mind, and are seeking out possibilities from a range of choices: if one target isn't/wasn't available, then they move on to other examples of the same type of player they are looking for, or even close down that avenue altogether. As if he's saying, "we can't get a suitable (eg) defender, so we'll adapt the search and seek someone for another position that could strengthen us". I don't honestly think they are looking for players (plural). I appreciate that a week is an exceedingly short time in the football transfer window, and anything can happen dependent on circumstances.

Comment

Think we're overloaded with players bar a right back now the injuries are easing. He'll be looking to ship a few of the squad members out i think because you can't see them getting a game here. Barker & Ginelly not in the squad yesterday and got Moult & Davies back in the near future, with Robinson, Harrop & Bodin back next year.

Comment

By the sounds of it we're pretty serious about Johnson from Accrington...our valuations are miles apart (they don't need to sell) so probably looking at other options...maybe a right back on loan and leave Johnson til summer ala Ledson?
        Can't see them strengthening any other positions at this point...squad is enormous!

Comment

We need to ship some out also free up wages

Comment

Originally posted by spender View Post
            We need to ship some out also free up wages
            We can't give away or even loan out our fringe players let alone get something for them.
            With my luck I'll be at the airport when my boat comes in

Comment

A new right-back would obviously be useful immediately but providing at least one ideally two from Clarke, Davies and Huntington are available this week-end to supplement Storey in central defence then we are actually OK but if we had to get through to the end of the season with just Fisher and Clarke we probably could. Frankly with the resources we had on Saturday for midfield and attack further supplemented by the return of Moult then providing Pearson and Browne in particular remain fit we will have plenty of options from players we have now. Come the summer then all of the out-of-contract players apart it seems from Gallagher will go and maybe a few others then we can look to where we might need another one or two incomings.

Comment

If everyone currently at the club was fit, what would be your 18?

Tough choices!
                RIP Kurt
                Best mates for 14 years
                09/98 - 11/06/12

Comment

"f everyone currently at the club was fit, what would be your 18?

Tough choices!"

As far as a starting eleven is concerned then at the moment you would have to say that from a fully fit squad Storey, Davies, Pearson, Browne and Robinson would be automatic choices. In defence the Rudd or Ripley decision would be difficult though on current form Clarke would pip Fisher and Hughes Earl for the fullback spots. But who would partner Pearson - Johnson, Gallagher or even Ledson. Who would be the other member of the 3 - Potts, Barkhuizen, Bodin, Harrop even Maguire as an ultra-attacking option. Upfront the choices are Stockley, Moult and Maguire again. We are obviously not going to see Bodin and Harrop again this season and I am still not certain about Robinson so depending on what happens in the summer it is a situation that may never arise. But given that our play-off chance has pretty well gone and as for the Cup... what we have to do now is ensure our survival and maybe show ourselves that with a fully fit squad we can match anyone in this division. We will get a chance to do so in upcoming home games against teams at the top of the division against whom we were particularly lame in the counterpart fixtures early on in the season. Those matches in particular are ones in which after the utter ignominy of some recent games not just points but also pride will be at stake.
                  Last edited by ernest; 14-01-2019, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Was told we Looking at a right back and a centre half. Boyle wanted by a league if Ireland club.

Comment

Tough choices!
                      Ripley
                      Clarke Storey Davies Hughes

Pearson Johnson

Barkhuizen Browne Robinson

Maguire/Stockley

Rudd
                      Huntington
                      Gallagher
                      Potts
                      Harrop
                      Moult
                      Magure/Stockley

Bloody hard choosing that!

Comment

Tough choices!
                        Horses for course (plus current form considerations of course). The beauty of the squad if everyone is fit is we have a decent variety.

Comment

Tough choices!
                          Difficult question! Completely depends on who we’re playing, whether we’re home / away etc. For me, it would have to be:

Ripley

Clarke
                          Huntington
                          Davies
                          Earl

Pearson
                          Johnson

Barkhuizen
                          Browne
                          Robinson

Stockley

SUBS: Rudd, Hughes, Gallagher, Bodin, Maguire, Moult, Nmecha.
                          Last edited by kingpne; 14-01-2019, 10:33 PM.
                          I'm back.

Comment

Originally posted by kingpne View Post

Difficult question! Completely depends on who we’re playing, whether we’re home / away etc. For me, it would have to be:

Ripley

Clarke
                            Huntington
                            Davies
                            Earl

Pearson
                            Johnson

Barkhuizen
                            Browne
                            Robinson

Stockley

SUBS: Rudd, Hughes, Gallagher, Bodin, Maguire, Moult, Nmecha.
                            Interesting that Potts doesn't make your cut. More shocked at Storey missing out!!

Nmecha would be erased from yours imo.
                            RIP Kurt
                            Best mates for 14 years
                            09/98 - 11/06/12

Comment

More shocked at Storey missing out!!
                              Has to be a regular starter now. I'd like experience in the team but not experience just for the sake of it. He's been playing better than Huntington for a while now and is less limited/more composed on the ball too. When Davies is back they should be paired together imho.

Comment

Working...
                              X