No announcement yet.

Five years today...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We won't know though until we have budgets.

If Westley's was half of Simon's he has a valid excuse...

Comment

Originally posted by europne View Post
      Thank you Dreyfuss.

I think that completely ends this nonesense about Westley the Hatchman.

He was just shit, at everything.
      Seconded. Nice One Dreyfuss.

An eloquent and comprehensive summary of The Lunatic's disastrous contribution to PNE which should extinguish, beyond all doubt, the belief that he was in any way a force for good at our club. I somehow doubt it though.

Comment

Originally posted by BigMarkLeonard View Post
        We won't know though until we have budgets.

If Westley's was half of Simon's he has a valid excuse...
        You only have a soft spot for GW because you were the kind of donkey he would pick Mark.

Comment

Even Westley would probably shun me.

No idea where my soft spot comes from. It has been somewhat diminished by the facts within this thread though.

Comment

In theory the Westley appointment could and maybe should have worked. He'd taken Stevenage to the brink of the league 1 play offs which was our target at the time and he'd done it with a small budget and players who would work hard for him.

Signing up the best of league 1 - we signed loads of poty's from other clubs - like Welsh, Huntington, Laird, Holmes was a good move. The problem was he couldn't get them to play and the club was actually far to big for most of them, and him. He didn't help himself of course, leaking of the team, sending players to train alone, training on the pitch and not moving up north all went against him.

I actually supported him for far to long in the hope that it would eventually click but he should have gone before he did. Though if he had we probably wouldn't have ended up with Grayson.

Comment

Originally posted by Schemer View Post
              Spot on regarding Grayson's contribution but let's not forget it was Hemmings/Ridsdale who appointed Wesley. At least they redeemed themselves with Grayson.
              schemer -

I had it on very good authority at the time (from inside the boardroom) that Hemmings wanted to keep Grezza and co to the end of the season but Ridders persuaded him to appoint Westley in a sunday evening conversation!

TH backed PR's judgement.... and of course PR then had to back GW's transfer policy !!!! and we all regretted it...

Certainly PR has made up for it since with Grayson and Neil - and still football people are taken in by Medal Winners 'words of wisdom.

I read an article form him in the paper in January about the 5 steps a manager must make when taking over a struggling club - NONE of which steps did GW take here!

Comment

Dreyfuss - one example to back up your great post.... our 'best player & capt' at the time was Paul Coutts....not a great player imo but playing as well as anyone.
                Westley wanted him to play as a 'midfield enforcer' rather than the attacking midfielder he was.

PC said he couldnt see himself playing that role (i.e. the pearson roll) well. Westley's answer was "a NOBODY can do that roll".

The next week GW brought in Andy Proctor and introduced him to Coutts and the squad as "this is the NOBODY who can do your job". and made AP capt and central midfield enforcer.
                Coutts was on his way....

It did nothing for AP to be known as "NOBODY" in the dressing room....

Comment

Originally posted by JK View Post
                  Since the medal winner was sacked over a coffee at Waterloo railway station.

We now go into the final stretch of the season, only three points away from the play offs in the Championship. That seems light years away at the time and to think that Brentford fan accused us of playing anti football on Saturday!

When we get irritated a bit at times it may be worth remembering just how bad things had got.
                  JK - thanks for the reminder of a great day...... 5 years ago in January my Mum passed away and we had a collection at her funeral for PNE Youth Academy...

Nick Harrison et al was appointed soon after as Academy boss.

I told Nick about the collection but told him "I wouldnt be passing the money over UNTIL Westley had been sacked!" - because GW was destroying the youth set-up...Hoyland etc...

He fully understood.

So, 5 years ago tomorrow, I passed over the money to Nick 'in celebration' of mum's life and medal winners departure !

We all looked forward to John Dreyers first and only game in charge - Bournemouth H = I wonder what happened to Bournemouth after we hammered them ??

Comment

Good post. And a scary reminder of how shit our manager and team were then. I was convinced that, with Medal Winner in charge, we'd have plummeted into League 2.

Credit to the board for bringing in Larry and changing our fortunes around. We're in a great place at the minute.

Comment

It always amuses me how Westley get credit for NOT doing something (i.e. renewing a few contracts that were expiring) as if that task somehow required some sort of fusion of Shankley, Ferguson and Ramsey to pull off. And that's practically all the defenders can come up with.

And people talk about style of football. If anyone can tell me what style he was attempting to pull off then they're a better man than me. All i saw was directionless, shapeless mush.

We've had a few shocking managers in our time, the early 80's particularly, but i doubt anyone else did more to alienate an entire club, inside and out. The man has no business being anywhere near professional football.
                      Recommended ignore list: 05simpsonm, bsk4ever, Hans Asperges, PNE4LIFE, preach, billymac

Comment

Originally posted by simo View Post
                        It always amuses me how Westley get credit for NOT doing something (i.e. renewing a few contracts that were expiring) as if that task somehow required some sort of fusion of Shankley, Ferguson and Ramsey to pull off. And that's practically all the defenders can come up with.

And people talk about style of football. If anyone can tell me what style he was attempting to pull off then they're a better man than me. All i saw was directionless, shapeless mush.

We've had a few shocking managers in our time, the early 80's particularly, but i doubt anyone else did more to alienate an entire club, inside and out. The man has no business being anywhere near professional football.
                        very true....

my lasting regret - and knowing some of the players / staff he alienated there are a few - but the lasting one is me refusing to buy Ambassador Season Tickets that PR came up with for the season we sacked GW.

I went to the games but wouldnt give my money up front for 3 season tickets with GW in charge. Had ST's every season since and before - going back to the 60's.

5 years on and I still cant get discount in the club shop (only ambassadors do) and wont get any cheap season tickets next season in THE PREM as only Ambassadors will !!!
                        I can get a cheap burger at Mac D's for me season ticket but get nowt from 'our club' !

And I blame Westley """" not that I'm bitter or anything.... but it was great to see Yeovil beat Barnet and Forest Green win last night !

we all need a scape goat !!!

Comment

Originally posted by BigMarkLeonard View Post
                          I'll remain fairly isolated in my opinions, if not totally alone, in that although Westley's man management skills were probably the worst I have ever seen at Deepdale and his signings utterly disgusting at times, he did try to get us playing more football than we did under Grayson.

In my opinion, Grayson steadied the ship in his first part season purely by bringing a normality, pragmatism and League One-suited directness to the club that any sane manager could have brought. He then went on to give us some truly dire, defensive, long stuff that our budget warranted more than.

I do not, however, wish to denigrate the totality of his achievement, namely spectacularly breaking the play-off hoodoo and giving us one last season of McGeady and 4-4-2 inspired attacking football. The rest was turgid, however you roll it in glitter.

Westley was, ultimately, a monumental disaster, but he did get us trying to play football, I just think he was a) out of his depth and b) too wedded to his AIMITA mantra that is proven completely incorrect as you move up the leagues and apply the logic that if a player had the right attitude throughout his career his ability would surely reflect that via practice and improvement. The likes De Bruyne and Hazard weren't born pinging 70 yard balls to feet and trapping the ball with their backs, their love of the game (i.e. attitude) saw them develop that ability. The likes of Aaron Browne and Andy Procter may well run through brick walls for the club and do extra shuttle runs every day but they clearly didn't have the right attitude towards improving their technique that the better players had.

I still have a soft spot for Westley, despite it all. He's an absolute nutjob with a flawed philosophy but there is something in him that remains likeable to me and lest we forget, at the time, we did have a bunch of highly paid players that, let's say, were not giving their all. I think that was recognised by the likes of Ridsdale and Westley was the consummate hatchet man brought in to clear the decks. He certainly did that.

It amuses me how Westley gets any credit at all - fans talk about how he came here to 'do a job' and how it was because of him Grayson did so well. What job was that? Get us relegated to league two.

The man is a clueless clown! He got rid of the vast majority of our players including attempting to sell Bailey Wright then bought in a lot of players that summer - all but about four were turd. He had money to spend - more then Grayson ever did in league one and still couldn't bring winning football to our club.

Then Grayson came - granted in the first season the football wasn't great but look at what he had to work with. The second season we played better football - people can talk about how 'defensive' his football was, but defensive football doesn't score you 79 goals in a season.

I will never credit Westley with anything - his football was shocking, he had no game plan apart from telling players to pretend they where injured after going 1-0 up, the way he treated players was disgusting, the majority of his signings where league one/two/conference journey men hence why all but 4 have never made the step up to the championship. Grayson worked miracles - to break up that shocking team with no transfer money to spend (apart from 50 grand) and to get us promoted and not only that then make us an established championship club finishing 11th in our first season back.

It amuses me and I think it's very surprising that some fans will still give Westley more credit then Grayson. I just do not understand that at all. If he was in charge for the remainder of that season we would have got relegated.

Comment

Originally posted by White123 View Post
                            It amuses me and I think it's very surprising that some fans will still give Westley more credit then Grayson. I just do not understand that at all. If he was in charge for the remainder of that season we would have got relegated.
                            The rest is right but not sure I've ever seen this?

Comment

Originally posted by Tino View Post
                              The rest is right but not sure I've ever seen this?
                              You'd be surprised.

Isn't that right Liberation?

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Brown View Post
                                You'd be surprised.

Isn't that right Liberation?

Don't be daft... I wasn't even referring to the football ( which wasn't too bad until the two full backs both got injured btw ) but I just liked the bloke.. Absolute nutter and if he'd had achieved a 10th of the bollocks he came out with we wouldn't be having this conversation.... PS.. You may have guessed but I like " characters " and if there's anyone that denies he was that then we'll never see eye to eye....... I genuinely hoped that he would succeed but he failed, no denying it..
                                Vote For John Brown

Comment

Working...
                                X