Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cardiff In For Cunningham

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by PNEroulette View Post
    Scroll back a year and a half and would have said Mcgeady,Pearson,
    Hugill and Cunningham were the best 4 players we've got.
    Mcgeady's creativity was sorely missed last season but was sort of made up for by better tracking and general defensive tactics.
    Hugill again has sort of been covered for by the other attackers and Earl may be able to replace Cunningham to some degree.
    But it all increases the strain on the first team. At some point it will snap and performances will drop away.
    What's the tipping point ?
    Pearson
    Agree. Pearson cannot be sold, that will be a bridge too far. Lets hope Earl can step up to the mark and tbh I'm reasonably confident in this. We need to build on what we have.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by marsbars View Post
      Agree. Pearson cannot be sold, that will be a bridge too far. Lets hope Earl can step up to the mark and tbh I'm reasonably confident in this. We need to build on what we have.
      Agreed.

      Earl will be given a chance to make a claim for the left back spot with maybe some cover brought in as O'Connor isn't up to it.

      As other have alluded to once Cardiff made it clear they wanted Greg there was ZERO chance of him signing a new deal. 3.7 Million for a left back in the final year of thier contract is good business.

      I wish him all the best he has been argubly one of the best left backs in 20 odd years and was a free transfer........

      However, Josh is one of our own and has shown great potential and wish him even more luck.
      Simples

      Comment


      • It's a bit of a fact that Pearson is our best player and probably the best player i've seen in a north end shirt..
        When we sold Hugill for 10m or whatever it was.. I felt like we could have had a push at the play offs but 10m is a lot for someone, who lets face it, isnt great at football but will score 10-15 a season and hes the kind of player who looks as if he might go off the boil.
        Cunningham is quality but he's in a position where he's replaceable.. sad to see him goes as he is a quality player but earl did well covering for him and hopefully will be class this/next season.

        The best way to describe Pearson is to look at N Kante when he was at Leicester when they won the league.. They would have been many points behind without him but he was the core of the team. You dont come across players like that very often and especially as we have Pearson in the championship. I said to my friend that Pickford will play for England as you could see he was the cut above everyone else in the league and its the same as Pearson in our team now. My friend who rarely watches Pne came to about 5 games with me last season and he said Pearson was MOTM in all of them.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by prestonnefc View Post
          It's a bit of a fact that Pearson is our best player and probably the best player i've seen in a north end shirt..
          When we sold Hugill for 10m or whatever it was.. I felt like we could have had a push at the play offs but 10m is a lot for someone, who lets face it, isnt great at football but will score 10-15 a season and hes the kind of player who looks as if he might go off the boil.
          Cunningham is quality but he's in a position where he's replaceable.. sad to see him goes as he is a quality player but earl did well covering for him and hopefully will be class this/next season.

          The best way to describe Pearson is to look at N Kante when he was at Leicester when they won the league.. They would have been many points behind without him but he was the core of the team. You dont come across players like that very often and especially as we have Pearson in the championship. I said to my friend that Pickford will play for England as you could see he was the cut above everyone else in the league and its the same as Pearson in our team now. My friend who rarely watches Pne came to about 5 games with me last season and he said Pearson was MOTM in all of them.
          One of the 'irritants' of Pearson's game is ironically what may keep him here longer. Certainly 1 year. 2 more if we are lucky. And that's his discipline. 16 yellows in the Championship (or whatever the final total was) would equate to many reds in the Premier League. These clubs would know that. For Pearson to make himself very attractive to big clubs at around the 8-9m mark, he needs to show he can sort out his disciplinary issues. He'll do that with us while learning and progressing which gives us more time with him, and making himself more attractive to a Premier League club. Only ones like Burnley, Huddersfield, Cardiff, Brighton etc will be interested in him. He's a certain type of player for a certain type of club.

          He is not Kante!

          Comment


          • Originally posted by PNEroulette View Post
            Scroll back a year and a half and would have said Mcgeady,Pearson,
            Hugill and Cunningham were the best 4 players we've got.
            Mcgeady's creativity was sorely missed last season but was sort of made up for by better tracking and general defensive tactics.
            Hugill again has sort of been covered for by the other attackers and Earl may be able to replace Cunningham to some degree.
            But it all increases the strain on the first team. At some point it will snap and performances will drop away.
            What's the tipping point ?
            Pearson
            McGeady was a blue moon sort of player, easily one of the best players most of us have seen in a PNE shirt and to find or replace someone like him is next to impossible, the stars aligned with him that it was right place, right player at the right time and you cannot use that against the clubs business policy.

            Hugill and Cunningham were no brainers when players start running down their contracts there's nothing you can do about it and in the case of Hugill he is very replaceable as Maguire and the possible signing of someone like Jerome hopefully prove. I would have sold Hugill for anything over 4 million personally, no way worth the outlay that West Ham paid for him.

            Cunningham is a big loss because it's very hard to find a LB of his quality but once again we were put in a position by the player where we had no other option, the days of the club being held to ransom have long gone and if you start throwing money at players to keep them it sends out the wrong message to the squad.

            Fans should be very happy with the way we are conducting our business when was the last time in the space of 7 months we spent 450k (Moult), 750k (Ledson), 750k (Storey), 750k (Bodin) and put a good bid in for a experienced striker?

            Comment


            • Originally posted by pnehoops View Post
              One of the 'irritants' of Pearson's game is ironically what may keep him here longer. Certainly 1 year. 2 more if we are lucky. And that's his discipline. 16 yellows in the Championship (or whatever the final total was) would equate to many reds in the Premier League. These clubs would know that. For Pearson to make himself very attractive to big clubs at around the 8-9m mark, he needs to show he can sort out his disciplinary issues. He'll do that with us while learning and progressing which gives us more time with him, and making himself more attractive to a Premier League club. Only ones like Burnley, Huddersfield, Cardiff, Brighton etc will be interested in him. He's a certain type of player for a certain type of club.

              He is not Kante!
              That's pretty obvious

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Chip Barm View Post
                Agreed.

                Earl will be given a chance to make a claim for the left back spot with maybe some cover brought in as O'Connor isn't up to it.

                As other have alluded to once Cardiff made it clear they wanted Greg there was ZERO chance of him signing a new deal. 3.7 Million for a left back in the final year of thier contract is good business.

                I wish him all the best he has been argubly one of the best left backs in 20 odd years and was a free transfer........

                However, Josh is one of our own and has shown great potential and wish him even more luck.
                Aye this is pretty much how I see it. I said 4 million was a fair deal in this instance so if it's 3.7 we've done ok out of it. Just need that big bad transfer busting striker to sign on & the troops will be happy

                Comment


                • Originally posted by justinr73 View Post
                  No, a number of people are.

                  As soon as Cardiff came back in, it was obviously a no-brainer for all concerned.

                  Had there been no top flight interest, there would have been a strong case to keep him rather than let him join a rival.
                  Have your toys left the pram because you're coming over as a smacked arse here Justin.

                  He has currently one year left. We said "No" to Cardiff and 2m last summer. We have got nearly double that bid a year on for a player who doesn't wish to sign a new deal here.

                  I suppose your Hugill toys are still laid out across the floor, too?

                  Nobody is slating Greg or saying Good Riddance. 99% are sad to see him go but understand why he wishes to leave (Prem & ) and why the club have now reluctantly accepted a vastly improved offer from the same club 12 months on. The other 1% are indifferent to the whole saga.

                  ***NEWSFLASH***

                  ALL CLUBS ARE SELLING CLUBS. THE ONLY ONES THAT AREN'T ARE THOSE WITH CRAP PLAYERS.


                  Good Luck to Greg. No sour grapes here. We, meanwhile, move on as is the correct procedure.
                  RIP Kurt
                  Best mates for 14 years
                  09/98 - 11/06/12

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Ron
                    Fans should be very happy with the way we are conducting our business when was the last time in the space of 7 months we spent 450k (Moult), 750k (Ledson), 750k (Storey), 750k (Bodin) and put a good bid in for a experienced striker?
                    Moult was 500k
                    Bodin was 400k

                    You overspent by 300k Ron.
                    RIP Kurt
                    Best mates for 14 years
                    09/98 - 11/06/12

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Jack Daniels View Post
                      Have your toys left the pram because you're coming over as a smacked arse here Justin.

                      He has currently one year left. We said "No" to Cardiff and 2m last summer. We have got nearly double that bid a year on for a player who doesn't wish to sign a new deal here.

                      I suppose your Hugill toys are still laid out across the floor, too?

                      Nobody is slating Greg or saying Good Riddance. 99% are sad to see him go but understand why he wishes to leave (Prem & ) and why the club have now reluctantly accepted a vastly improved offer from the same club 12 months on. The other 1% are indifferent to the whole saga.

                      ***NEWSFLASH***

                      ALL CLUBS ARE SELLING CLUBS. THE ONLY ONES THAT AREN'T ARE THOSE WITH CRAP PLAYERS.


                      Good Luck to Greg. No sour grapes here. We, meanwhile, move on as is the correct procedure.
                      Why do you have a go at people with a different opinion than you, its you thats a smacked arse, your ignorant and arrogant, no wonder people are leaving pne online because of your bullying tactics guess ill be the next to get banned now for daring to speak out against you
                      When the last tree has been cut down, the last fish caught,
                      the last river poisoned, only then will we realize that one cannot eat money

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Jack Daniels View Post
                        Moult was 500k
                        Bodin was 400k

                        You overspent by 300k Ron.
                        Think this shows how much faith the board have in the management and current squad. We are building something special here and they know it

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Jack Daniels View Post
                          Have your toys left the pram because you're coming over as a smacked arse here Justin.

                          He has currently one year left. We said "No" to Cardiff and £2m last summer. We have got nearly double that bid a year on for a player who doesn't wish to sign a new deal here.

                          I suppose your Hugill toys are still laid out across the floor, too?

                          Nobody is slating Greg or saying Good Riddance. 99% are sad to see him go but understand why he wishes to leave (Prem & £££) and why the club have now reluctantly accepted a vastly improved offer from the same club 12 months on. The other 1% are indifferent to the whole saga.

                          ***NEWSFLASH***

                          ALL CLUBS ARE SELLING CLUBS. THE ONLY ONES THAT AREN'T ARE THOSE WITH CRAP PLAYERS.


                          Good Luck to Greg. No sour grapes here. We, meanwhile, move on as is the correct procedure.
                          I think you've got the wrong end of the stick.

                          He's a fine player and we got a good price in the circumstances. Not as good as Hugill but that was a once in a lifetime heist.

                          I confess to being confused by the minority who consider Greg to be an injury prone player we can comfortably replace. I disagree with that.

                          As I alluded to, I would have been interested to see how it panned out if Greg did not have a top flight offer on the table.

                          Would we have taken 3.7m had Stoke offered it?

                          I would guess so.

                          Would we have gambled on him helping us get promoted rather than accept, say, 1.5m?

                          Would Greg have tried to run down his contract and take stock in 12 months?

                          We'll never know.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Jack Daniels View Post
                            Have your toys left the pram because you're coming over as a smacked arse here Justin.

                            He has currently one year left. We said "No" to Cardiff and 2m last summer. We have got nearly double that bid a year on for a player who doesn't wish to sign a new deal here.

                            I suppose your Hugill toys are still laid out across the floor, too?

                            Nobody is slating Greg or saying Good Riddance. 99% are sad to see him go but understand why he wishes to leave (Prem & ) and why the club have now reluctantly accepted a vastly improved offer from the same club 12 months on. The other 1% are indifferent to the whole saga.

                            ***NEWSFLASH***

                            ALL CLUBS ARE SELLING CLUBS. THE ONLY ONES THAT AREN'T ARE THOSE WITH CRAP PLAYERS.


                            Good Luck to Greg. No sour grapes here. We, meanwhile, move on as is the correct procedure.
                            Is this post really necessary

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Lee Trundle View Post
                              Is this post really necessary
                              Non of his posts are necessary.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by hornbycastle View Post
                                Why do you have a go at people with a different opinion than you, its you thats a smacked arse, your ignorant and arrogant, no wonder people are leaving pne online because of your bullying tactics guess ill be the next to get banned now for daring to speak out against you
                                Excuse me?

                                Try reading the thread, see the build up and then the reason the piece that upsets you, from myself, was posted.

                                It is also called my opinion based upon what I have just read. So people can voice opinions but I can't in return? Ok Kim...

                                Bullying? You're having a laugh and banning you? Where has this nugget appeared from? You are a strange one. Make no mistake.
                                RIP Kurt
                                Best mates for 14 years
                                09/98 - 11/06/12

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X