No announcement yet.

Match Day Thread - Swansea v PNE - 11/08/2018 KO:15:00 - Championship

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not read any of this thread except the current page. I guess it's all been said, but key points from me.

Missed opportunity against a very beatable Swansea side. A win would not have flattered us.

First half. Very poor by our standards. Though Swansea weren't really a great deal better. Can't complain at being one down though.

A simple and very poor mistake from Ben Davies led to their goal... he totally misjudged a routine header on the edge of the box, so they got the crossing opportunity. I think it was also Ben who was beaten to the resulting cross too... but it looked like good movement by their lad... the damage had been done.

"Tom Clarke looked like he was playing whilst concussed"... I think that's what someone said on this page. Yes. He was terrible in the first half... the worst of a bad lot, but now I think about it, Harrop challenged him for that dubious accolade, as did Brown.... with notable exceptions of Pearson, Rudd and perhaps Robinson and Fisher.

Depressing first half from Nmecha. Completely anonymous. He improved a lot in the second half but even when playing better, his body language did not suggest confidence. That second half performance does encourage me though.

Second half was a complete turnaround. I thought we were superb. This was PNE against Swansea City... in front of a big crowd. And we dominated the match for almost all the second half. Pearson fantastic. Robinson was threatening. Hughes looked good... I could run through the entire team and list how well they improved.

It's easy to say the penetration wasn't there or the final ball not good enough, but we were up against premier league players, playing at home, and sitting back in uber-defensive formation. It's not easy! For me, the hole left by the missing Maguire was very obvious.. we just missed that sharpness in the box.

As for Alex Neil... Did he get it badly wrong in the first half? Should we laud him for the brilliance of his half-time team talk? Not sure about his substitutions... I thought Harrop and Barkhuizen really had the bit between their teeth at the time they were hooked. OK with taking Nmecha off but you could make the same argument for him too. (I'd have brought Moult on though... perhaps rather than Burke)

Overall, Swansea dominated for a total of maybe 15 minutes. Preston for 30 ... with the rest of the match in a more even battle. Bring on Stoke.

Anyway...

Comment

• Originally posted by Regardless View Post
      Harrop challenged him for that dubious accolade, as did Brown.... with notable exceptions of Pearson
      Pearson was holding us together in midfield in the first half. The only one with any sort of composure on the ball. I still sense the balance in there is slightly awry at the moment.

Comment

• Originally posted by miff View Post
        Agree poor use of the subs bench and sounded like Robinson had another poor game.
        Originally posted by Hitch 22 View Post
        Fuckin Robinson stays on. The new lad sounded dangerous second half.
        Originally posted by marsbars View Post
        This!
        Now having read through the thread... I'll just clarify that Robinson was one of our best players yesterday. Certainly only Pearson was better. Robinson defended with spirt and attacked well, with purpose, came within a whisker of scoring when he put one an inch wide of the top corner and also had another shot from outside the box that deflected about 4 feet wide, with the keeper rooted to the spot.

Also, I see a few people (not everyone) saying Harrop played well in the first half. Really? I strongly disagree. Harrop played really well in the second half and was one of the main driving forces of the team up to him surprisingly getting subbed.

Comment

• Didn't intend to come back to this but have now had a chance to look at the iFollow highlights. Got to say the handball against Barkhuizen looks marginal - it looks like it hits his chest, the blast across face of goal by Barkhuizen that Nmecha just misses makes you think that if Barkhuizen had just been a bit more composed something he tends to be on the left when he often crosses with the outside of his foot we might have scored and Nmecha really should have shown a lot more determination chasing that back-pass. But no point going on about it - hopefully the lessons will be learned.

Comment

• Re Clarke, I was pleased he got a new deal, he's obviously very experienced and will be useful around the place, however I didn't expect him to start the season over Huntington - in the top 3 players since promotion - and for me would be the back up CB. I haven't checked the Team vs QPR thread but I'd be surprised to see many picking Clarke to start.

Hunts and Davies formed a good partnership last season and offer really good balance. However Davies poor headed attempt and then allowing their man to get in front of him to score won't have gone unnoticed by Neil. With the issues at the other end of the pitch I'm surprised and slightly concerned we're having to debate the defence. I thought it was clear that it was going to be Fisher - Hunts - Davies - Hughes.

However, a lot of stuff posted since Saturday is typical of what happens on here after a defeat. Everyone was rubbish and needs replacing / never been good enough / not up to it / only Pearson is any good / wouldn't be surprised to see them leave etc. I'm hoping there's been a shift in style from Neil into a more attacking formation and way of playing and perhaps there needs to be a degree of patience with the players.

We have also added 2 more young players to the side with perhaps 2 more loans to come. It seems to be a shift in the direction we were going down. Perhaps it's short term only but unfortunately those who have been asking for additional striking resources for months now are already looking to be right.

Comment

• Originally posted by paddysr View Post
              Wah wah wah rawr rawr rawr

Never watching that shite again etc etc etc
              Itís unbelievable we lost a game narrowly to a team just down from the Premiership.
              People need to get a some perspective on events.
              Itís the second game!
              I suppose it shows how far we have come for some folk to be so critical at this stage.

Comment

• Originally posted by kingpne View Post
                Clarke is in no way a top 6 Championship centre half. Hunts lost a few headers and had a few clearances blocked. Hardly a runaround.

TC nearly cost us goals yesterday and played like he was still concussed from last week. Heís not good enough over the course of a season.
                I don't think either Clarke or Hunts are top 6 Championship players, but Hunts is superior to Clarke.

Comment

• Two games in and people are already writing off the players.

Clarke, Huntington, Nmecha, Moult & Harrop are all not good enough according the PNE Online experts this weekend.

Good work.

Comment

• Originally posted by sf View Post
                    Two games in and people are already writing off the players.

Clarke, Huntington, Nmecha, Moult & Harrop are all not good enough according the PNE Online experts this weekend.

Good work.
                    Yet again here to belittle and suppress opinion. I've not read anyone just come on and slate a player without providing their opinion in justification. And we don't need to agree with eachother it's a debate on a message board. Tedious.

Comment

• Originally posted by California_PNE View Post
                      Yet again here to belittle and suppress opinion. I've not read anyone just come on and slate a player without providing their opinion in justification. And we don't need to agree with eachother it's a debate on a message board. Tedious.
                      Not everyone can play the devils advocate with such skill as yourself

Comment

• Originally posted by California_PNE View Post
                        My opinion is that you're a bell end, please don't suppress me.

Comment

Working...
                        X