Manager Alex Neil felt his side did enough to win the game

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tugg Speedman View Post
    Pearson and Browne have been available all season, except against Reading. Ledson has only been suspended for 2 games out of 7 so far.

Maguire OK but he was out for a good while last season as well.
    All very true. We need some extra enthusiasm in the team. Storey deserves a chance to provide some of that and I though Earl looked to be up for things on Saturday. Barker generally tries and Robinson as we all acknowledge has set an example this season. Add Fisher, Davies, Pearson, Browne, Ledson and Harrop and you at least have a group of players with some energy. We have the basis of a good side. We need a bit more confidence and maybe some more luck.

Comment

Originally posted by ernest View Post
      All very true. We need some extra enthusiasm in the team. Storey deserves a chance to provide some of that and I though Earl looked to be up for things on Saturday. Barker generally tries and Robinson as we all acknowledge has set an example this season. Add Fisher, Davies, Pearson, Browne, Ledson and Harrop and you at least have a group of players with some energy. We have the basis of a good side. We need a bit more confidence and maybe some more luck.
      The point that many are making is whose job is it to instill confidence in a bunch of relatively young players?
      "You keep your mouth in your backside baby, and your using it daily"

Comment

Originally posted by Eccywhite View Post
        The point that many are making is whose job is it to instill confidence in a bunch of relatively young players?
        Understood though he needs his more experienced players on the pitch to do that and as I've said elsewhere I think one player who has failed to deliver in that respect is Gallagher.

Comment

Originally posted by pisaac View Post
          About the most stupid comment I have ever heard on this forum.

Last season was the best season for many years, since Alan Irvine. Seven games into this season, without 3 or 4 of our best players featuring every game, we are suddenly doomed.

Grow up for God's sake!!
          Without our best players or not, we are in the relegation zone after 7 games. The season is not over and there is a lot of football yet to be played, but concern is valid at the moment.

The stats from the weekend are a microcosm of our season last year - around 60:40 in our favour for possession, lots of shots for us whilst around half come in at the other end... and we end up getting beat, let alone not managing to win.

We had a run of three games last season - Sheffield Wednesday away, Derby at home and Reading away - where we averaged 61% possession, had a total of 46 shots on goal with 23 shots at ours, and we lost 6-1 on aggregate. Ultimately, this cost us a spot in the playoffs as Derby beat us with only two shots, and only one of those being on target from a free kick.

The issue couldn't be clearer - without Maguire, and dare I say Hugill, we aren't getting anyone consistently in a position to even look like scoring, despite the stats making it look as though we're dominating the game.

When you then take away your 2 best and most energetic midfielders in Pearson and Browne, along with the only other midfielder who you could call defensively-minded in Ledson, it exacerbates everything and now we look like we're in trouble.

I think - I hope - that we'll be alright in the end. But maybe it's time after the last 3 seasons of consistently finishing in the top half on a bottom 3 budget that we get a reality check. Whilst being grateful beyond belief for the things that Hemmings has done for this club, Neil clearly needed a striker as Moult is not cutting it, Nmecha is not the finished product and Maguire is injury-prone - we needed someone like Hugill.

He isn't here any more and we certainly weren't asking for him to spend all of the money to fill the void that he's left - but at least do something about it. There is only so much Neil can do with the players at his disposal, and whilst some of the blame must undoubtedly be set at his door, I believe the problems we're experiencing at the moment go beyond our manager.
          #teamslikepreston

Comment

The stats can be misleading as some of the shots were game efforts from outside the box that went straight to the keeper.

However, we scored 2 goals, hit the post, their keeper made a good save from Gallagher, Robinson just put a shot wide. So we did have some good chances that could have won the game for us.

But defensively we were a complete shambles, and if you're conceding 3 goals at home then you don't deserve to win.

Comment

I wasnít at the game on Saturday but I listened to it. I am not going into panic mode yet because itís still early days. We have had three suspensions in the first few games, all of them to players we donít need to lose. So, for me the discipline aspect is more a worry than anything.

We have been unlucky too in fairness, if it wasnít for bad luck, we would have had no luck at all but, even that has to change. Before we even kicked the season off, I said to my daughter in law, we always lose at least one top player pre or early season, Iím surprised everyone is ok, then we go and lose two!

I donít believe our manager becomes poor from one season to the next, or players become poor. We have had a bad start, but that in my view, is all it is. We will get players back and kick start our season of that I have no doubt.

Remember Sunderland a few years ago, they were tripe until aro7nd Christmas (when they played us ironically) and then went on to win the league! Not saying we will do the same but, Iím confident we will finish in a very acceptable position.
              No wums please - low patience threshold

Comment

Originally posted by Joanpne View Post
                I wasnít at the game on Saturday but I listened to it. I am not going into panic mode yet because itís still early days. We have had three suspensions in the first few games, all of them to players we donít need to lose. So, for me the discipline aspect is more a worry than anything.

We have been unlucky too in fairness, if it wasnít for bad luck, we would have had no luck at all but, even that has to change. Before we even kicked the season off, I said to my daughter in law, we always lose at least one top player pre or early season, Iím surprised everyone is ok, then we go and lose two!

I donít believe our manager becomes poor from one season to the next, or players become poor. We have had a bad start, but that in my view, is all it is. We will get players back and kick start our season of that I have no doubt.

Remember Sunderland a few years ago, they were tripe until aro7nd Christmas (when they played us ironically) and then went on to win the league! Not saying we will do the same but, Iím confident we will finish in a very acceptable position.
                Fulham only won 4 of their first 17 games last season. Aston Villa won one of their first 7. What you are saying is spot on. We aren't a bad team overnight. We haven't got bad players. Fans talk of relegation and Neil being sacked are just football fans being what they are good at - fickle! Going to Leeds tomorrow night and winning is a big ask but we are capable. The one plus point is that their injury problems are probably just as bad as ours at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by White123 View Post
                  Fulham only won 4 of their first 17 games last season. Aston Villa won one of their first 7. What you are saying is spot on. We aren't a bad team overnight. We haven't got bad players. Fans talk of relegation and Neil being sacked are just football fans being what they are good at - fickle! Going to Leeds tomorrow night and winning is a big ask but we are capable. The one plus point is that their injury problems are probably just as bad as ours at the moment.
                  I think the issue is we haven't replaced like-for-like in terms of experience/skill

Target man Hugil
                  Rock that is Cunningham
                  Horgan, I guess has been replaced with Barker (short term)

Also some key players are off form
                  Barky
                  Rudd
                  Nmecha (?)
                  Moult(?)

Plus we have the boss tinkering with formations / subs.

Missed Maguire and Pearson too of late

It should settle down soon (I hope)

Comment

Originally posted by Joanpne View Post

Good points Mrs Joan. You and the ever-reliable Mr Ernest (plus 1 or 2 others) are the ones who regularly speak my mind - that's for that reassurance at this tricky (but not disastrous) time!!

Comment

Working...
                    X