A Fine Photo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Fine Photo

Just trolling about the net and found a page on the Football Association website with a rather fine photo of us parading the FA Cup at Wembley in 1938:

http://www.thefa.com/about-football-...-we-do/history

Here it is rather larger:

http://www.thefa.com/-/media/www-the...15CFDF0BA9D051

I wonder if we shall ever see its like again.

A wonderful photo of happier times .

Tinged with thoughts of how all those people’s life’s would be shattered by events just over a year later.

Comment

Good find Ernest. More than 80 years ago but proud to say the strip is virtually the same...apart from the sponsor's logo and the badge. The white lamb against the blue shield stands out much better than the current badge.

Considering we've only won one major trophy in the intervening years, and that 64 years ago, you'd have to say our chances of replicating that moment are remote. But then the team we beat 4-0 on Saturday won the self same cup only 5 years ago, so who knows? Hope springs eternal....or it's the hope that kills you (depending on your outlook ).
      Last edited by Schemer; 09-10-2018, 11:04 PM.

Comment

The article in the first link is well worth a read, I really enjoyed it, thanks for posting ernest.

Comment

I like this photo from '38 too

https://www.intosport.co.uk/preston-...bus-photo.html

and this one at Wembley

https://www.intosport.co.uk/preston-...eam-photo.html

Comment

Originally posted by Schemer View Post
            Good find Ernest. More than 80 years ago but proud to say the strip is virtually the same...apart from the sponsor's logo and the badge. The white lamb against the blue shield stands out much better than the current badge.

Considering we've only won one major trophy in the intervening years, and that 64 years ago, you'd have to say our chances of replicating that moment are remote. But then the team we beat 4-0 on Saturday won the self same cup only 5 years ago, so who knows? Hope springs eternal....or it's the hope that kills you (depending on your outlook ).
            We didnt win anything in 1954

Comment

Originally posted by PNEESSEX View Post
              We didnt win anything in 1954
              Quite right. For some reason, I always have it in my mind that we beat West Brom! I remember my Dad setting off for work early that morning on his bike and meeting someone who asked him if he wanted a ticket for the final. He came straight home, got changed and caught the coach from Leyland to Wembley. A great occasion, but sadly, as you say (and just as 10 years later), we didn't win!

Comment

Quite right. For some reason, I always have it in my mind that we beat West Brom! I remember my Dad setting off for work early that morning on his bike and meeting someone who asked him if he wanted a ticket for the final. He came straight home, got changed and caught the coach from Leyland to Wembley. A great occasion, but sadly, as you say (and just as 10 years later), we didn't win!
                Somewhere I have the 1954 Cup Final programme and two tickets.

1938 was the last time we won anything major ....80 years and counting

Comment

Somewhere I have the 1954 Cup Final programme and two tickets.

1938 was the last time we won anything major ....80 years and counting
                  I've got the 64 ones. CN we claim to have won that one too. 😁

Comment

Originally posted by BeteNoir View Post
                    I've got the 64 ones. CN we claim to have won that one too. 😁
                    We certainly SHOULD have won it. I recall the headline: 'To West Ham the cup, to Preston the glory.' I've seen re-runs several times, once at a hotpot supper in the old Pavilion Stand and also on the coach to Wembley for the Wycombe debacle! Not many clubs can celebrate defeat like North End, glorious or not, but when it's 80 years since your last major trophy, you have to cling to something.

Comment

We certainly SHOULD have won it. I recall the headline: 'To West Ham the cup, to Preston the glory.' I've seen re-runs several times, once at a hotpot supper in the old Pavilion Stand and also on the coach to Wembley for the Wycombe debacle! Not many clubs can celebrate defeat like North End, glorious or not, but when it's 80 years since your last major trophy, you have to cling to something.
                      If it wasn't for Bobby Moore we'd have won in a canter and the fullback marking Dave Wilson would have been sent off before half time. Wilson was hacked down constantly. Sad journey back on the train but was proud of my teams performance. And the Sunday papers headlines were as you say glory to us cup to West Ham. Still wish we'd have had the cup we certainly as a team deserved it.

Comment

I still have nightmares about 1964. I've mentioned it before but for 8 years from 1988 my secretary was the sister of Jack Burkett who played for WHU at full back in that team. I met him a couple of times...a really decent bloke, he reckoned that PNE should have won that day, but, as he pointed out,that WHU side was a bit special.

Comment

,that WHU side was a bit special.
                          As are many of their fans today ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by ernest View Post
                            Just trolling about the net and found a page on the Football Association website with a rather fine photo of us parading the FA Cup at Wembley in 1938:

http://www.thefa.com/about-football-...-we-do/history

Here it is rather larger:

http://www.thefa.com/-/media/www-the...15CFDF0BA9D051

I wonder if we shall ever see its like again.
                            It was a great read that until 1992 when the bastards sold our sport.
                            Raefil, He's the second best moderator this forum has ever had, closely behind Nobber.

Comment

Working...
                            X