Under 23 squad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sports rehab View Post
    you dont need to be cat 1 to have under 23's - cat 2's can have them too..... such as Bolton.....

Under 21's I think is what we should look at not 23's - too many of our youth team who get deals never get any football.

It also allows injured players game time on their recovery.
    That was my point. I donít really have an opinion about the age really just that having a Ďreservesí team playing non competitive but structured football would be good for the young players - and the first team who arenít getting minutes or are recovering from injury - which seems essential if our model is to buy players like Connor Simpson.

Comment

Originally posted by kingpne View Post
      Good point regarding catchment areas.

I believe the rule is before U16s you canít go somewhere more than 90 minutes away from your home or something ?

Where I played everyone was fairly local.
      Yep my understanding of a similar time limit due to schooling etc. They can play games at weekends further afield but for midweek training there are limits hence those anomalies like Southampton/Norwich in old days. Brighton and Bournemouth have now same benefit in some ways and tap what used to be Southamptons realm as one example. In the North west itís a massive battle I imagine for all clubs

Comment

Originally posted by sports rehab View Post
        you dont need to be cat 1 to have under 23's - cat 2's can have them too..... such as Bolton.....

Under 21's I think is what we should look at not 23's - too many of our youth team who get deals never get any football.

It also allows injured players game time on their recovery.

Today's hiding of our U18s by Rochdale is a good argument for either an U21 or U23 team to at least give our younger players some more experience of playing "mens" football as opposed to youth football. Many of today's Rochdale team have been playing first team football in the Checkatrade trophy. Not a single one of our U18s has played in a first team match yet - not even in pre-season. There have been no bounce games arranged , and virtually the one chance of the youth playing in a senior fixture ie the Lancs Senior Cup was kiboshed by Neill. The Category 3 teams that play in Leagues one and two have Checkatrade trophy, which allows them to play their younger players - and virtually every other team we play have been doing this. The higher league clubs usually have either the U21 or U23 option. We have neither - and today it showed.

Comment

Originally posted by Vesuvius17 View Post
          Today's hiding of our U18s by Rochdale is a good argument for either an U21 or U23 team to at least give our younger players some more experience of playing "mens" football as opposed to youth football. Many of today's Rochdale team have been playing first team football in the Checkatrade trophy. Not a single one of our U18s has played in a first team match yet - not even in pre-season. There have been no bounce games arranged , and virtually the one chance of the youth playing in a senior fixture ie the Lancs Senior Cup was kiboshed by Neill. The Category 3 teams that play in Leagues one and two have Checkatrade trophy, which allows them to play their younger players - and virtually every other team we play have been doing this. The higher league clubs usually have either the U21 or U23 option. We have neither - and today it showed.

Good point WELL made...

For instance- Bolton in our league (cat 2) have U23 games arranged / played against ...bristol city; Millwall; Ipswich; Leeds; Hull; Forest; Birmingham; Sheff U & Weds; Qpr.
          They also play against Burnley; Palace; CArdiff and Watford U23's.

Rovers will probably play other Prem Teams as they area CAt 1

I KNOW, when the current EPPP came in, our youth management wanted us to be a CAT 2 - but we settled for a CAT 3 under Westley's tenure ....

One way or another our 19's NEED football..

Comment

Working...
          X