PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Is this the most unpopular team we've ever had?

professionals my ass

professionals my ass

What pisses me off is that these lot sign a big fat contract and then do the least possible that they can get away with.

I have no problem with the likes of Roooney earning whatever he can - you always get the best he can produce.

If I do a job I give it my best shot - even if its freebie it gets the best attension - the likes of Carter and Chaplow are taking the piss out of the fans.

The worst PNE team I've seen (and there have been a few) was sadly the 1985/86 re-election side.

However, there was nowhere near the contempt for those lads as there is for the current shower of shite. :gentry:

Yes, there were limited players - extremely limited - but their careers/livelihoods depended on how they performed . . . and it showed.

Geoff Twentyman, Nigel Keen, Shaun Reid, Terry Gray, Big Vern :eek: - all shockingly inadequate yet largely spared the wrath of the faithful 3,000 because we knew they were genuinely giving it their best shot, even if they regularly fell short.

PLUS back in that day, they were not the pampered arsewipes that we've got today; training was on Moor Park or wherever they could find cheap, the team bus was a knackered old banger, the kit (brilliant tho it was) was done by a small firm from Leyland.

Yet even among those painful depths, we had heroes; Gary Brazil was on board with Skilful Bob, Jonathan Clarke.

And then there was Sir John Thomas - a player who gave the impression that he would lay down his life for the shirt, never shirked a tackle, never gave up on a lost cause and somehow managed to score goals from the rare chances that dropped his way. :gentry:

The point is that even tho the team was collectively shite, legends were born, heroes emerged and lifelong affection was confirmed.

Passion on and off the pitch was genuine and tangible.

Modern football is a soulless, manufactured, sterile experience - and that's mirrored by the players it has created. :(

Last edited:
Geoff Twentyman, Nigel Keen, Shaun Reid, Bryan Gray, Big Vern :eek: - all shockingly inadequate yet largely spared the wrath of the faithful 3,000 because we knew they were genuinely giving it their best shot, even if they regularly fell short.

Trying to picture Bryan on that wing :D

Terry wasn't it? :)

I don't know whether it's this particualr bunch of players, this completely dull division or football in general, but i've never been less interested in the 40 years i've been supporting North End

Up until just a couple of seasons ago my whole weekend was affected by what PNE did on a Saturday afternoon. Lose and i was pissed off all weekend, win and all was well and i looked forward to watching Match of The Day safe in the knowledge that my team had won their match earlier in the day.

Sadly, a defeat now barely even registers as dissapointment beyond about quarter past 5. I used to get a sinking feeling when listening to the commentary of an away game on the radio when the opposition score, now it doesn't seem to matter. Simularly when we scored i'd jump up off my seat punching the air, now i just don't get excited by it.

Shame really but a lot of what we had when we had nothing has gone.. If that makes any sense.:(

I don't know whether it's this particualr bunch of players, this completely dull division or football in general, but i've never been less interested in the 40 years i've been supporting North End

Up until just a couple of seasons ago my whole weekend was affected by what PNE did on a Saturday afternoon. Lose and i was pissed off all weekend, win and all was well and i looked forward to watching Match of The Day safe in the knowledge that my team had won their match earlier in the day.

Sadly, a defeat now barely even registers as dissapointment beyond about quarter past 5. I used to get a sinking feeling when listening to the commentary of an away game on the radio when the opposition score, now it doesn't seem to matter. Simularly when we scored i'd jump up off my seat punching the air, now i just don't get excited by it.

Shame really but a lot of what we had when we had nothing has gone.. If that makes any sense.:(

That is exactly how I feel. Didn't renew my season ticket last season because of my apathy with the team.

The only player in the first team squad I wouldn't want to see leave is Coutts. The rest I couldn't give a toss about. Sort of answers the questionh I guess.

Lack of ability I can forgive, lack of effort I cannot.

This sums our current squad up brilliantly.

If the players wasnt quite good enough but you could see they put there heart and soul into every game you couldnt really complain. But when we know each player is more than capable of playing well but none seem interested it is soul destroying.

The simple fact of the matter is, at 27, less and less of the players are older than you and you are finding it harder to look up to them as individuals as you get older and wiser.

Welcome to the world of a decent percentage of the PNE faithfull!

The simple fact of the matter is, at 27, less and less of the players are older than you and you are finding it harder to look up to them as individuals as you get older and wiser.

that is very, very true, although i still think a massive amount of sheer effort is lacking out of our team.

That's an interesting point you make but I don't think my age in context with the age of the players has much to do it. I'd still feel the same way if I was 40 I reckon.

Good point. I remember thinking something simular about twenty years ago, it just felt odd chanting the names of players who were younger than me, it just didn't seem right.

The art of good management has been defined as
Quote:
"Getting people to do what you need them to do because they want to do it"

Moyes and Billy had that in spades - no other recent manager has - and so far, DF is failing too.

What we really need now is a manager who will get people to do what he needs them to do even if they don't want to do it :)

What we really need now is a manager who will get people to do what he needs them to do even if they don't want to do it :)

It's pathetic that they don't want to. No professionalism, no class, no work ethic. This is a shameful bunch of players. I'll be heading off after Scunthorpe score their first today.

It's pathetic that they don't want to. No professionalism, no class, no work ethic. This is a shameful bunch of players. I'll be heading off after Scunthorpe score their first today.

I'm waiting to see the team before I bother setting off.