PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Talksport: Phil Brown on being axed by Preston and his football career

The conditions changed last summer because he got us relegated FFS. The manager whose conditions did change after he took the job was Fergie. And with hindsight we should have persevered with him.

Lonergan was worth peanuts for a reason, because nobody wanted him, so to say we could have got more is laughable.

We would have got £1.3m more had we accepted West Brom's offer the previous summer, and £1m more had we accepted Ipswich's offer the year before that - but Leeds signed him and he's become their first choice, in the running for player of the year there, and surprise surprise, his value is back up at the £1m mark.

Poor management and poor chairmanship are the reason we got £100k for him - the players value has been at or above the £1m mark for most of the last 3 years, as evidenced by the £1m+ bids we rejected, and his subsequent success at a much bigger club than ourselves.

No doubt if they had longer left on their contracts we would have got more money, that much is obvious. You can't expect much when they had little or no time left though. Lonergan was worth peanuts for a reason, because nobody wanted him, so to say we could have got more is laughable.
he was worth nothing by the time we sold him as he'd been replaced in the side and had been a keeper conceding an outrageous amount of goals for a long time before he was replaced (and still is). If we'd sold him in Jan we'd have got more for him. Same goes for SSL.

But if we'd sold them then, in the middle of a relegation scrap, there would have been fucking outrage.

This was my main problem with ML. Not that he came in with a cuts agenda, but that he did it half arsed.

The conditions changed last summer because he got us relegated FFS. The manager whose conditions did change after he took the job was Fergie. And with hindsight we should have persevered with him.
I think Ferguson was dealt the worst hand a manager has had at this club in a generation, but his position had become untenable.

What he tried to put in place was a strategy that people very much wanted to see, and were good ideas, but in hindsight he approached it very much in the wrong way and couldnt claw it back from there. His bull in a china shop approach to the job i loved at the time, but now you have to say caused havoc.

I hope Westley isnt repeating history in this respect

I think Ferguson was dealt the worst hand a manager has had at this club in a generation, but his position had become untenable.

What he tried to put in place was a strategy that people very much wanted to see, and were good ideas, but in hindsight he approached it very much in the wrong way and couldnt claw it back from there. His bull in a china shop approach to the job i loved at the time, but now you have to say caused havoc.

I hope Westley isnt repeating history in this respect

There are people in all walks of life who will approach managing a new team of people in that way. As a general rule, those that do have to display serious levels of competence themselves or risk looking like a total bellend!!

I really thought Phil brown would be a success here. He deserved to get fired though, in his final months here we were as bad as we were under Fergie, Simpson or Irvine.

[

Come off it. He'd fucked the club up so much by the end we were laughably bad. I'm not saying Ferguson had it easy, he really didn't but if he'd had an ounce of talent as an organiser I firmly believe we'd have comfortably stayed up. Ferguson was given way too long here given how terrible we looked game after game and to say we should have stuck with him is, frankly, ridiculous.

Here's the gist of what he said:

I was impressed with the setup at North End when I joined.
I declined the chance to have an interview with Burnley.
But the deal changed when we got relegated.
You're trying to get bums on seats. We tried to get the stadium full. I tried to get the season ticket holders back through the door.
First or second was only remit in division one. (He was told we had to get promoted). And we had to sell all our best players.
In hindsight shouldn't have gone (to Preston)
It's a good football club.
There were one or two occasions when we dropped the price and 17,000 were coming through the door.
It needs financial backing
I think I'd have been OK if I'd have been given the season
We'd won one game in 11. And I felt after Hartlepool victory that the energy was coming back. Hume, Mellor and Proctor coming back.
Ian Hume missed a one and one late on against Stevenage and a one-nil victory might have given me more time.

All very predictable. Was everything I hate about keys and gray that interview (just listened to it). If either of them had bothered to do any research before welcoming him as a guest surely their questions would've been more searching ie you still had players of the calibre of mellor, hume, coutts in the squad, and were able to bring a premier league keeper, a centre half who won promotion from championship 2 years ago, one who won promotion from league one two years ago, two experienced midfielders with full Scotland honours - it looks good on paper so why didn't they perform for you?
As it was he was never challenged. Old boys club stuff. Very poor.

Interesting that he said the situation changed. I'm sure Ferguson said the same. I just wonder if both were fed a line when they were interviewed. Makes me glad that the negotiations went on so long with Westley. Perhaps he had wind of it and wanted to make sure he knew exactly what the deal was.

The manager whose conditions did change after he took the job was Fergie. And with hindsight we should have persevered with him.

Oh dear! In hindsight we should have got shut of Ferguseless at least 2 months before we did.

Some people have very short memories so let it be my pleasure to remind you of one or two little FACTS.....

Ferguseless was sacked with PNE propping the rest of the league up, with a miserly 19 points from 22 games. Relegation form in anybody's book.

He was potted after yet another home defeat and display in which our team made the visitors look like Brazil.

He turned a pretty watertight organised defence into a shambles, with better defensive team performances witnessed on Moor Park on a Sunday morning. Our defence was so shocking that not only did we have the worst record in our league but one of the whole fucking country.

Now if you want me to go on I can do and move on to his proffesionalism whilst he was here or lack off it. The way he disregarded players, fell out with half of them and saw the value of said players depreciate overnight because of his 'bull in a china shop' approach. And don't get me started on the drinking culture!

Finally if it is hindsight that you do wish to talk about then in hindsight the useless fucker would never have been allowed within 10miles of Deepdale!

Oh dear! In hindsight we should have got shut of Ferguseless at least 2 months before we did.

Some people have very short memories so let it be my pleasure to remind you of one or two little FACTS.....

Ferguseless was sacked with PNE propping the rest of the league up, with a miserly 19 points from 22 games. Relegation form in anybody's book.

He was potted after yet another home defeat and display in which our team made the visitors look like Brazil.

He turned a pretty watertight organised defence into a shambles, with better defensive team performances witnessed on Moor Park on a Sunday morning. Our defence was so shocking that not only did we have the worst record in our league but one of the whole fucking country.

Now if you want me to go on I can do and move on to his proffesionalism whilst he was here or lack off it. The way he disregarded players, fell out with half of them and saw the value of said players depreciate overnight because of his 'bull in a china shop' approach. And don't get me started on the drinking culture!

Finally if it is hindsight that you do wish to talk about then in hindsight the useless fucker would never have been allowed within 10miles of Deepdale!

I just wondered if you have any comments on the drinking culture??

Do you think he might be drunk? :D. I have my suspicions that he maybe. All the time too.

I wasn't being so cynical (on this occasion :)) I was just being obscure.... he said 'don't get me started on the drinking culture' - so I tried to get him started on the drinking culture.

I really thought Phil brown would be a success here. He deserved to get fired though, in his final months here we were as bad as we were under Fergie, Simpson or Irvine.

Under 2 of the managers you mention we were mostly top 6 Championship.

If only Brown had delivered the same levels of performance.

Cool story, but we're talking about the interview. He isn't a football manager at the moment.

Why be like that seriously ? The point made was obviously a valid one and it was definately relevant to the thread. DonkeyKong better sort himself out then going off topic like that.