PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

PNE going in right direction says boss

I have a nagging feeling some people might confuse reality with excuse making though

For example losing our two first choice full backs (reality) is seen as an excuse too often on here.

Ah right. I didn't realise we were the only club in the league who suffer injuries to players now and again. How unfair, someone should complain.

Are you seriously blaming the loss of two full backs for our chronic lack of goals and to justify Westley's hopeless tactics and team selections? You're clutching those straws so tightly mate there's a danger they could chafe. :eek:

Ah right. I didn't realise we were the only club in the league who suffer injuries to players now and again. How unfair, someone should complain.

Are you seriously blaming the loss of two full backs for our chronic lack of goals and to justify Westley's hopeless tactics and team selections? You're clutching those straws so tightly mate there's a danger they could chafe. :eek:

Did I say we were the only team?

Honestly I despair at how desperate some posters are to spin things to their own ends.

I can't find any evidence of this claim - in terms of league clean sheets, we'd had two 0-0s (August 18, October 14), a 5-0 v Hartlepool on September 18, and that was it.

g.

We have played 18 games with Keane and Laird W9 d7 L2 = 1.89 points per game (including cup games) = 1.57 points per game league only

Let the football do the talking. I'm fully behind Westley but he needs to give it a rest especially as we've dropped from 8th to 15th in the last 2 months!

Avoiding relegation is the aim for this squad and it always was. I suggest that time is needed for success. By that I mean at least 6 transfer windows, to turn things around. Other managers may take less time to do so elsewhere, but Westley has done some major surgery on the playing staff at Deepdale, and even though he doesn't say it, he must look at his squad and think "what the fuck?", and breath a disbelieving sigh of relief that the team has accumulated 29 points.
I reckon that Westley has performed a miracle already in keeping this squad in mid-table. This includes regular performances where the side looks absolutely dreadful.
Out of all of the previous managers of North End post Moyes, I'm prepared to watch and wait as Westley prepares his next squad in January and indeed, in the summer. North End must stick by a bloke for a period of 3 years, or else the club will continue towards oblivion.
Westley seeks the right formula, and he is brave in going for it.
Christ, take a look down the road at Ewood Park. They've just sign Josh King. I reckon you could see Rovers, Bolton and Blackpool slumping south in the next 12 months or so, so why not just hang on to the current bloke, build a little bit of fan/manager rapport, in anticipation of some derbies to come.
For the simple reason of what Westley has had to work with he deserves acknowledgement for what he has done, and has earned his right to continue at Deepdale until he finds the right formula.
If he fails, he will fail, but right now the current status does not represent failure in my eyes.

Not losing was welcome but any selection policy that persists with Candsdell-Sheriff at left-back and Buchanan at left midfield is heading up a cul-de-sac. Using King as a right-back isn's so bad - he would bring some of Keane's toughness to the position but it is a nonsense if Procter - whose character and effort are beyond reproach - is preferred to him in central midfield.

Avoiding relegation is the aim for this squad and it always was. I suggest that time is needed for success. By that I mean at least 6 transfer windows, to turn things around. Other managers may take less time to do so elsewhere, but Westley has done some major surgery on the playing staff at Deepdale, and even though he doesn't say it, he must look at his squad and think "what the fuck?", and breath a disbelieving sigh of relief that the team has accumulated 29 points.
I reckon that Westley has performed a miracle already in keeping this squad in mid-table. This includes regular performances where the side looks absolutely dreadful.
Out of all of the previous managers of North End post Moyes, I'm prepared to watch and wait as Westley prepares his next squad in January and indeed, in the summer. North End must stick by a bloke for a period of 3 years, or else the club will continue towards oblivion.
Christ, take a look down the road at Ewood Park. They've just sign Josh King. I reckon you could see Rovers, Bolton and Blackpool slumping south in the next 12 months or so, so why not just hang on to the current bloke, build a little bit of fan/manager rapport, in anticipation of some derbies to come.
For the simple reason of what Westley has had to work with he deserves acknowledgement for what he has done, and has earned his right to continue at Deepdale until he finds the right formula.
If he fails, he will fail, but right now the current status does not represent failure in my eyes.
spot on.

Yes I generally agree with Poggi. GW has to be given time - we have a nearly completely different squad from last season and amidst the dross there have also been some very good performances that show that we have the potential. In fact if we could put together a run of four or five wins from five or six games (not impossible) we would be right back in the mix. The play-offs are still possible. But we have to be honest about some of GW's questionable decisions. The squad is unbalanced with an overload of central midfielders and centre forwards and yet we simply don't have a proper right-back at all - barring young Kane - and also have no reliable right-sided alternative to Monakana, a player who is anonymous and ineffective as often, probably more often, than he is brilliant to the point of being unplayable (which I agree he sometimes can be). Dropping previously reliable players after one poor performance is also bad management - the right thing to do is have a good talk with them and motivate them to get back to form. I saw the game against Sheff Utd where I thought Wroe was appalling but he scored a hat-trick in the next game - so it can be done.

Avoiding relegation is the aim for this squad and it always was. I suggest that time is needed for success. By that I mean at least 6 transfer windows, to turn things around.
<snip>

Great post Paulo. Not sure about 6 transfer windows though. Perhaps a more pragmatic approach depending on performance and results, but we do need to give a manager time for once.

It seems that most fans now take everything Westley says with a large pinch of salt and have realised the predictable, tiresome rhetoric has little or no relevance or resemblance to what's happening on the pitch.

Odd that you should choose to criticise GW for something that you do so well yourself. Predictable and tiresome bsk4ever....

I suppose we were all taken in by Ridsdales sales pitch for ST sales with the Ambassador scheme, promotion, stellar signings, winning football etc etc etc and how are we to know that this might not have the way he sold the job to Westley.

Westley does not cover himself in glory with his daily/weekly piss poor phsycobabble, he should know his best 11-12-13 even taking injuries into account and show us on the pitch what his team and his coaching ability can do, however week in week out we are getting longer explanations of why this why that, progress, moving forward crap and still cant score.

I don't think it is all Westleys fault, he must look at Ridsdale and think what a fraud, he must though play his best players in their best positions and stop dropping players who he falls out with. The best I have seen us play was at Stevenage with a midfield of Jeff, Wroe, Welsh and Holmes supporting King and Beavon, these players are probably now all fit (Beavon wipe your runny nose ffs lad), surely to god he can then manage to pick 4 defenders.

Just a quick one Graham, we have now moved to 15th, moving forward my arse.

We scraped a draw against a team in the relegation zone and hadn't won in 10 games.... Only because they missed a penalty....

Someone pass me the champagne!

Why is it some people on here expect us to roll up at Fratton Park and brush Portsmouth aside? I cannot remember us ever going there expecting to win,a draw is a respectable result.

We scraped a draw against a team in the relegation zone and hadn't won in 10 games.... Only because they missed a penalty....

Someone pass me the champagne!

Truly an achievement for the blindfaithers to saviour...

Popping-Champagne-cork.jpg

So the plan/what fans have to look forward to,is to wait for our nearest rivals to fail in order to have derby games against them. Sorry but that will not pull the missing fans back and as a strategy will lead to even more fans voting wiyh their feet.

Surely the point at Portsmouth was better than the poor home defeat against Crewe?

If Beardsley could finish...

I see where you're coming from Shinny.... but after reading the line ups in the pub before I'd even walked out to the ground i knew we'd never win it, I'm not a fan of paying my money & then being 99% cert we'd never score let alone win it before I'd even stepped foot in the ground.

I don't expect to win every game, I do however expect a team put out to at least give us a chance of getting three points.