PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

'Cancerous squad' v Westley's squad

As was the case last season.

I agree that we're under achieving, given our wage bill compared to most of the opposition; but to suggest we'd be better off with last years squad (considering how much they were earning) I can't agree with.

In all fairness, when Brown was sacked we were only just off the Play Offs. And we also had Hume and Mellor due back from injury. Westley takes over and our results dropped again. Why was that? An inexperienced management duo were getting better results out of the same squad then Westley did.

Nothing wrong with the squad. We just need a manager that lets them get on with playing the sodding game instead of bombarding them with statistics and forcing them to play in whatever formation he's dreamed up this week.

I agree.

I've said it before, anybody could have done what GW has done to cut the wage bill, all he did was force them out of the club, it's wasn't fucking hard.

So can we stop holding this up as a massive achievement by GW.

How do you know? You dont go on.

4 points over 29 games, your stat not mine, with a team who costs x million per year less.

Work this out, lets say for example 2,000 season tickets don't get renewed again at an average of £300 = £600,000

That was about the equivalent of Humes wage wasn't it?

Hume is on 11.5k a week? Wow.

Nothing wrong with the squad. We just need a manager that lets them get on with playing the sodding game instead of bombarding them with statistics and forcing them to play in whatever formation he's dreamed up this week.

I fully agree. A more capable manager would achieve better results with the exact same players. Just like Phil Brown did last season. And also like Grezza and Unsworth did last season.

That there are still people defending this utter bellend of a manager, astounds me. What more evidence do you need to know he is so far out of his depth.

Ok, Hume & Ashby then.

My point is, this club could probably take a 50% reduction in season ticket sales and STILL be in a better financial position than last year.

I don't agree. Is our debt decreasing? The squad may not cost as much, but the income certainly isn't as high as it was. No doubt all these players that we keep terminating their contracts early is coming out of Trevor's back pocket.

The squad that didn't care about the club or it's supporters, achieved more points then the players Westley wanted here who do care about the club. But it's okay, this squad doesn't cost as much money. No one on here can say that last seasons squad wage was 5 or 6 times higher then

In the evening post a week last Friday it was reported that the combined wages of Bailey Wright, Ben Davies and Will Ashurst were 5% of the wages of the players who wore those shirts the previous year. By my maths that suggests a factor of 20 times higher. Of course that wouldn't be the case across the whole squad.

In the evening post a week last Friday it was reported that the combined wages of Bailey Wright, Ben Davies and Will Ashurst were 5% of the wages of the players who wore those shirts the previous year. By my maths that suggests a factor of 20 times higher. Of course that wouldn't be the case across the whole squad.

All three of those players were here last year though - so what is this proving?

Westley had access to other young and cheap products of our youth team as well - but he bombed them all out in the summer.

I'm no fan of Westley, in fact, I fucking hate him, but this post has just blown the OP's point out of the water.

not really, we didnt sack brown because we thought he was getting the very best he could from the squad. We sacked him because he was shit and hindering the squad. and that was shown to have substance by the subsequent form under Alexander and Unsworth.

You could flip that around and say when likes of Arestidou, McLaughlin, Devine, Mayor, Barton, Proctor and Tsoumou were playing that this season a player in that position was on a higher wage.

I don't agree. Is our debt decreasing? The squad may not cost as much, but the income certainly isn't as high as it was. No doubt all these players that we keep terminating their contracts early is coming out of Trevor's back pocket.

I would expect that TH is a happy man at the moment, I'm sure he'd be happier if the crowds were a bit higher, but on balance I expect he won't lose as much this year as he has done in the previous 4 or 5 seasons.

You could flip that around and say when likes of Arestidou, McLaughlin, Devine, Mayor, Barton, Proctor and Tsoumou were playing that this season a player in that position was on a higher wage.

and they probably cost 5% of players like Chaplaow, Shumi, Elliott, Hart, Collins etc but you dont hear people hailing the good job Ferguson did.

I would expect that TH is a happy man at the moment, I'm sure he'd be happier if the crowds were a bit higher, but on balance I expect he won't lose as much this year as he has done in the previous 4 or 5 seasons.

But we're still losing money then and the debt is increasing.

and they probably cost 5% of players like Chaplaow, Shumi, Elliott, Hart, Collins etc but you dont hear people hailing the good job Ferguson did.

Where does Irvine signings come into this? And Ferguson? We on about our time in League 1.

...and as the OP pointed out, this was a squad that in the main refused to play for him.

However way you look at it, if points per £ in wages were worked out, this team pisses over last years.

How do you know they refused to play for him? Because westley says so. A proven liar who wanted his own squad, who then employs ridiculous tactics and formations, resulting in poor poor performances, and then says, look look, these players won't play for me, get rid of them all. Horrid little man.

But we're still losing money then and the debt is increasing.

Probably, but I expect this is a 5 year business plan in its first year, and the debt is being managed in a better way and not accumulating at the rate it was.

...and as your stats bear out, Westley has built a squad which is managing in this league almost on par with the more expensive one from last season.

Small steps at a time, and even if we lose 25% of ST holders next year, that £600k is peanuts in the longer scheme.

How do you know they refused to play for him? Because westley says so. A proven liar who wanted his own squad, who then employs ridiculous tactics and formations, resulting in poor poor performances, and then says, look look, these players won't play for me, get rid of them all. Horrid little man.

Played for him, didn't play for him, who cares? They had to go, that was the remit, they cost us too much money and weren't producing the goods.