PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Why is the playing surface in such a shocking condition

If this is as it looks an attempt to spoil the pitch for passing football how does that stand up with our best results coming on early season pitches at there best ? im completely at a loss as to his reasoning in fact im wondering why hes not insisting it look like a fresh lawn every week . Is it just me who cant understand this ?

if you can take a look at orients pitch and walsalls, on tv now.

The pitch was totally re-grown and soil layed last summer. This is supposed to mean it doesn't need totally digging up again for about three years. This costs a small fortune.

However since Graham became manager he has consistently used Deepdale for training (and not just during bad weather). This happens two/three times EVERY WEEK.

It is no wonder it looks knackered.

Sorry not true, top is taken off every season, only change is how much comes off. New fibre sand then reseeded. Costs around 30k

Pitches last around 8-10 years before needing a complete restructure, as per Dingles who spent 750k on theirs with premier money. I think ours hasn't been done for over 12 years now.

If this is as it looks an attempt to spoil the pitch for passing football how does that stand up with our best results coming on early season pitches at there best ? im completely at a loss as to his reasoning in fact im wondering why hes not insisting it look like a fresh lawn every week . Is it just me who cant understand this ?

I'm not trying to strut around arguing with everything... but I really think that a lot of people (not picking on you, dirk!) seem to be desperately trying to put a negative spin on EVERYTHING.

There's plenty of stuff that can rightly be criticised, but let's have some sort of proportion.

I really don't think there is any cynical attempt to spoil the pitch. Not for a minute. Westley believes that there are tactical benefits for training on the pitch. And with such a desperate run of home results, it's no surprise that Westley wants to do something about it... get them training more in that environment.

It's a bit odd that he thinks it actually helped the pitch :eek:, but no way is it a cynical attempt to stop a passing game. After all, he's generally tried to play on the floor, tried to get his keeper to get it out to full backs, played with small front men. So I think this is yet another stick being used to hit Westley with.

I'm not trying to strut around arguing with everything... but I really think that a lot of people (not picking on you, dirk!) seem to be desperately trying to put a negative spin on EVERYTHING.

There's plenty of stuff that can rightly be criticised, but let's have some sort of proportion.

I really don't think there is any cynical attempt to spoil the pitch. Not for a minute. Westley believes that there are tactical benefits for training on the pitch. And with such a desperate run of home results, it's no surprise that Westley wants to do something about it... get them training more in that environment.

It's a bit odd that he thinks it actually helped the pitch :eek:, but no way is it a cynical attempt to stop a passing game. After all, he's generally tried to play on the floor, tried to get his keeper to get it out to full backs, played with small front men. So I think this is yet another stick being used to hit Westley with.

Whether intentional or not though, surely anyone with a bit of sense would realise that training on it at this time of year would do it some significant damage. If it wasn't a deliberate plan to wreck the pitch, then its downright incompetence. With 1 point from a possible 6 since the pitch has taken on the look of a ploughed field, it's a plan that's not exactly worked whatever the motivation behind it! You have to laugh though how Westley gets the lads to train on the pitch to get them used to their home stadium, then insists he'll turn things round with no gimmicks! :eek:

Looks like we've been using Port Vale's and Coventry's as well looking at the state of theirs tonight!