PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Will Hayhurst.

Not really one for comparisons but he reminds of Kilbane a bit (who, I've heard, was slated by quite a few when he was with us). Will never be able to open up defences with guile or searing pace but looks to be a good team player with a good work rate.

Not really one for comparisons but he reminds of Kilbane a bit (who, I've heard, was slated by quite a few when he was with us). Will never be able to open up defences with guile or searing pace but looks to be a good team player with a good work rate.

Kilbane was barracked by the Boo boys to such a degree that Gary Peters dropped/rested him to protect him

Kilbane was "slated" mainly because he looked lazy because of the way he held his body - shoulders hunched and a bit gangly. However, what his detractors didn't realise was that he was confident enough at a young age to have an effect at both ends of the pitch because he was good in the air when defending and could put in a very decent cross.

From what I've seen, Hayhurst doesn't possess those qualities - his best bet is to become a "tidy" player like a Gary Swann, Simon Davey or Ian Bryson who doesn't seem to do very much yet doesn't give the ball away very often, is versatile and occasionally has the wherewithall to appear in the box to finish off a move.

He's young, and might get there - it's a case of whether he's intelligent enough to acknowledge his limitations and adapt his game accordingly.

Kilbane was "slated" mainly because he looked lazy because of the way he held his body - shoulders hunched and a bit gangly. However, what his detractors didn't realise was that he was confident enough at a young age to have an effect at both ends of the pitch because he was good in the air when defending and could put in a very decent cross.

From what I've seen, Hayhurst doesn't possess those qualities - his best bet is to become a "tidy" player like a Gary Swann, Simon Davey or Ian Bryson who doesn't seem to do very much yet doesn't give the ball away very often, is versatile and occasionally has the wherewithall to appear in the box to finish off a move.

He's young, and might get there - it's a case of whether he's intelligent enough to acknowledge his limitations and adapt his game accordingly.

Kilbane's detractors didn't realise they were thick and knew nothing about football. Most of them are still around.

WH has a good cross on him from what I've seen and is more of a Duff kind of player.

He seems grounded and I think the signs are good.

I remember kilbane always being positioned just forward of the near post for corners against us, a vital position defensively to clear any under hit corners. We also used to have our keeper forever aiming at him on the left wing when clearing out of his hands. His heading ability was superb.

Hayhurst hasn't impressed me at all but he's still young and obviously shows enough in training to warrant the occasional start. I just think that he starts in front of Monakana purely because he's better defensively which is what we need when scrapping or points. I'm pretty sure that Jeff would start ahead of him if the pitch at home was better and we were playing with more freedom.

Another year or so will help Will experience wise and he'll also be physically stronger.

Tidy player like McKenna too? He never got slated either...

i think he cud of done with going out on loan this season in lge 2 .I do think he will be a good player wen he puts some size on and gets stronger .

He is 19 today I believe and in his first year of professional football. For me he is doing okay. He needs to learn his trade and he needs to be managed properly. I'd say give the lad some slack, let him go about his learning and see where he is in a couple of years. Maybe it's where we are as a club in that we don't have the strength in depth of seasoned pros and therefore we have to blood youngsters but do have tendency to judge them before they have had chance to mature. 18 year olds like Michael Owen are few and far between.

"Billy Hayhurst." Jeff Stelling

"Numerous players who played against Whitehurst have said that he was the hardest player that they faced. Vinnie Jones - who Whitehurst is rumoured to have beaten up whilst teammates at Sheffield United - Neil "Razor" Ruddock, Martin Keown, and Alan Hansen are all on record as saying that Whitehurst was the hardest player to have played the game.

Since leaving the game Whitehurst has trained greyhounds, ran several public houses in his native South Yorkshire and worked in the building trade and in the stores at BP Saltend and Drax Power Station.

In 2008, he was found guilty of benefit fraud and given a suspended prison sentence."

Easy mistake to make.