PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Portsmouth game

Were used to the weather now mate no point worrying and we could replace chocolate eggs with love eggs , while Cadburys would be a bit miffed im sure Anne Summers would be highly delighted :)

I can see the sense in that, sounds like a perfect swap.

I just have the nagging issue that without lent people will consume more unhealthy products and that pancake batter sales will fall dramatically in February.

Can forcing your opinions on others who have no proof of faith with an argument also without proof ever be seen as positive ? im open minded you seem to have proof god doesn't exist then it shouldn't be difficult with all your clear proof to convert me .

How do you prove something doesn't exist? It's a ridiculous notion, hence Bertrand Russell's Cosmic Teapot analogy.

As for forcing opinion on others, that's a specialty of Christians, who are urged by by their instruction book to spread the word of their God, to be missionaries and disciples ('And he said to them, “Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation. Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.' or 'Go therefore and make disciples of all nations' for example), but not to question, not to ask questions, not to look for proof or evidence, just have "faith".

By the way, the evidence of 21st Century Christians - a book edited in the 17th Century, based on a 16th Century translation of 8,000 contradictory copies of 4th century scrolls that claim to be copies of lost letters written in the first century. All of which promotes misogyny, homophobia, infanticide, incest, rape, genocide and informs us the Earth is the center of the universe and is 6,000 year old. At least science attempts to understand and explain by research, by test and re-testing, by working with provable evidence, by opening up to peer review for others to research and test and re-test. It may not (yet) prove God doesn't exist, but it has brought us out of the dark ages, reduced our ignorance, expanded our knowledge of the universe and disproven much of what the bible claims about the make up of everything.

If people want to live in a world of scientific provability then they will be very bored - even if you accept 95% certainty there are so many things that simply will not happen.

That is why I find the whole notion bizarre

Then what do you do when you move to the next year and find out the theory you thought was right was just a simplification and actually things are much more complex?

I would become hopelessly confused.

So instead I use a seemingly irrational idea of a wider force to explain what is going on and to offer some hope of influencing the future.

How do you prove something doesn't exist? It's a ridiculous notion, hence Bertrand Russell's Cosmic Teapot analogy.

As for forcing opinion on others, that's a specialty of Christians, who are urged by by their instruction book to spread the word of their God, to be missionaries and disciples ('And he said to them, “Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation. Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.' or 'Go therefore and make disciples of all nations' for example), but not to question, not to ask questions, not to look for proof or evidence, just have "faith".

By the way, the evidence of 21st Century Christians - a book edited in the 17th Century, based on a 16th Century translation of 8,000 contradictory copies of 4th century scrolls that claim to be copies of lost letters written in the first century. All of which promotes misogyny, homophobia, infanticide, incest, rape, genocide and informs us the Earth is the center of the universe and is 6,000 year old. At least science attempts to understand and explain by research, by test and re-testing, by working with provable evidence, by opening up to peer review for others to research and test and re-test. It may not (yet) prove God doesn't exist, but it has brought us out of the dark ages, reduced our ignorance, expanded our knowledge of the universe and disproven much of what the bible claims about the make up of everything.

Not strictly true. Muslims are told to convert everyone to their beliefs or kill them if they won't convert.

The ones who annoy me are those, of any religion, who try to convert me. When challenged to prove existence of their deity, they turn the tables and challenge me to prove the non-existence of their deity. It's well known that it's impossible to prove something doesn't exist, hence the cosmic teapot. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Last edited:

As you say it DOES NOT yet prove God doesn't exist so until such a time ill continue to respect peoples beliefs

Do you get many Christians coming up to you forcing you to change your opinon? I cannot remember anyone collaring me other than the odd Jehovas witness or mormon. I would say this has happened about five times in the last two decades! Is it a daily occurance for you?

Do you get many Christians coming up to you forcing you to change your opinon? I cannot remember anyone collaring me other than the odd Jehovas witness or mormon. I would say this has happened about five times in the last two decades! Is it a daily occurance for you?

I don't see anybody forcing anyone else (unless you count adults imposing their beliefs on kids too you to make their own minds up).

To answer your question, apart from the bloke in town earlier this week with the big sign about repenting and trying to engage people and hand out flyers, apart from the Watchtower pamphlet that was put through my letter box on Wednesday (fortunately I was out when they called) and apart from the churches I five past every day with the big luminous signs imploring a belief a God, I can't think of anything in the last 7 days. Still, that's more individual examples than I can come up with of someone trying to convince a Christian that their beliefs are based on nothing more tangible than a book written out of ignorance for political/power reasons and spread as a result of cultural imperialism...

As you say it DOES NOT yet prove God doesn't exist so until such a time ill continue to respect peoples beliefs

Why is questioning someone else's beliefs disrespectful? Surely it is the only way to learn, to know more and to understand? Are people so insecure in their thoughts that someone saying "I think you are wrong because of x, y and z" is a big baddie being rude?

99.9% in your opinion. From a religious point of view I could say I'm 99.9% that God is real based on the arguments I could put forward for the existence of God.

Go on then, please explain further, I am interested and if you produce a convincing argument, I will take it on board.

I personally feel the universe created itself without a god (see Stephen Hawking's theory of the Big Bang) we are a meaningless virus, and when you die, you die like every other organic compound.

Your soul doesn't exist, and heaven / hell is a complete fallacy designed to try and keep control, to moderate behaviour in life.

As there's zero evidence (so far) to suggest otherwise, I'd like to think on the balance of probability, atheists have a case.

And if you're adamant there's a god, can you offer any theory as to who created that god, and how?

Last edited:

Fucking good post.

Why is questioning someone else's beliefs disrespectful? Surely it is the only way to learn, to know more and to understand? Are people so insecure in their thoughts that someone saying "I think you are wrong because of x, y and z" is a big baddie being rude?

Im all for Questioning everything and had you read the thread you would realize this , im totally open minded . Im also open to people saying your wrong but i do insist they can back it up with concrete evidance or were back in the take my word for it category . As for insecurity isn't that what comes from being made to believe someones thoughts or be ridiculed frame ? i cant remember the last believer who told me to believe then made fun of my thoughts to assist his argument on me can you ? .

If people want to live in a world of scientific provability then they will be very bored - even if you accept 95% certainty there are so many things that simply will not happen.

That is why I find the whole notion bizarre

Then what do you do when you move to the next year and find out the theory you thought was right was just a simplification and actually things are much more complex?

I would become hopelessly confused.

So instead I use a seemingly irrational idea of a wider force to explain what is going on and to offer some hope of influencing the future.

Try it and you might get an inkling of how the rest of us feel after reading your posts. ;)

Go on then, please explain further, I am interested and if you produce a convincing argument, I will take it on board.

I personally feel the universe created itself without a god (see Stephen Hawking's theory of the Big Bang) we are a meaningless virus, and when you die, you die like every other organic compound.

Your soul doesn't exist, and heaven / hell is a complete fallacy designed to try and keep control, to moderate behaviour in life.

As there's zero evidence (so far) to suggest otherwise, I'd like to think on the balance of probability, atheists have a case.

And if you're adamant there's a god, can you offer any theory as to who created that god, and how?

Isn't there also a possibility were in a petre dish being studied ourselves as micro organisms ?

Im all for Questioning everything and had you read the thread you would realize this , im totally open minded . Im also open to people saying your wrong but i do insist they can back it up with concrete evidance or were back in the take my word for it category . As for insecurity isn't that what comes from being made to believe someones thoughts or be ridiculed frame ? i cant remember the last believer who told me to believe then made fun of my thoughts to assist his argument on me can you ? .
You tend to get called hope-less.

why is the whole universe not inside the petri dish ? is your mind so closed its beyond the realms of your imagination ? that's very narrow minded of you .

Surely we have to allow for non circular petri dishes?

After all we only know that they are circular because someone told us that they were - oh and that someone told us they were petri dishes in the first place.