PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

David Buchanan

At the moment he is, yeah.

Buchanan is playing well so he should keep his place.

He must have been a bit miffed to find himself 3rd choice at the start of the season.

When he was 3rd choice he could off went out on loan to a host of clubs, but he wanted to stay and fight for his place, his attitude and commitment is first class , top pro

Also shows the benefit of having a strong pairing in the flank. If Buchs has confidence in the guy in front it releases him to play his own game

Buchanan MOM by a country mile for me last night but could understand why Humphrey was awarded it scoring and setting up another .

Not in either the Buchanan or Laird camp to be honest just think that it's important that either one is on form at any given point of the season to keep us ticking over when required.
Same argument goes with the Browne & Brownhill debate currently raging.

Buchanan was the Tranmere player of the season wasn't he ? they wouldn't vote for him for nothing in Birkenhead and on the Wirral , so in this instance Westley bought well at short notice .

He's always been a good old fashioned left back doing the necessary bread and butter stuff from the near post to 30 or so yards in front of it , he did combine very well with his winger in front of him last night

As a aside some of the crosses were noticeably better from Kyel Reid …hard , driven balls at a angle , rather than straight across that defenders don't like but some forwards do .

Last edited:
The weakness in Buchanan's game has always been his relatively poor - compared with the pre-injury Laird - ability to get up in support of the attack. If that aspect of his game is now being improved then great. It does seem that that the experience of those last 20 minutes against Chesterfield - difficult though it was at the time - has made several players up their game. Perhaps SG gave them a really tough 'never again or else' lecture.

Totally agree! As I said on another thread Welsh putting in a performance like that is just what we've been missing in the middle of the park! It's like he's never been away well done John! Can see that spot being a straight competition between Welsh & Brownhill. And that'll be good for Brownhill because he needs to up his game which he's more than capable of doing. It's all good! COYW

Reckon he might start playing Gallagher in Brownhill's position with Humphrey and Reid either side of him, and bring Welsh in against the better teams with attacking options better than the one's we've been up against so far.

Reckon he might start playing Gallagher in Brownhill's position with Humphrey and Reid either side of him, and bring Welsh in against the better teams with attacking options better than the one's we've been up against so far.

I'd go for that too good shout, the options are there strong competition and I wonder how Andy Little gets back in the team??

The weakness in Buchanan's game has always been his relatively poor - compared with the pre-injury Laird - ability to get up in support of the attack. If that aspect of his game is now being improved then great. It does seem that that the experience of those last 20 minutes against Chesterfield - difficult though it was at the time - has made several players up their game. Perhaps SG gave them a really tough 'never again or else' lecture.

Personally ernest, I think Buchanan has always been reasonable going forward, although wing back didn't suit him. He has the advantage over Laird in that he can go on the outside of the defender and get crosses in rather than cut in as Laird invariably does. He provided an excellent cross for Kevin Davies to score last season. Given Davies' lack of goals, I should remember who it was against but I can't!

Call me a sad old git - but I hear more and more comments about SG and GS working with individual players and making specific plans for how they can improve their individual and team performance ! this fills me with great optimism for this season - we will get better as the months roll on ! Keep up the good work guys - UTW and on to automatic promotion !!

I'd go for that too good shout, the options are there strong competition and I wonder how Andy Little gets back in the team??

It seems like we genuinely have some options for the first time in a while though. Our bench looks pretty strong, other players can come in and do a job - we're not carrying half a squad full of passengers like we have in the past.

Can only be good news!

It seems like we genuinely have some options for the first time in a while though. Our bench looks pretty strong, other players can come in and do a job - we're not carrying half a squad full of passengers like we have in the past.

Can only be good news!

I understand the calls for another CB, CM & CF but I'm good with what we've got so far (barring injury to Garner) so let's put ourselves to the test! We are hitting form and key players are performing and the shaky selections from the start have been fixed (Small forest & Davies)! Think I'm going to Bristol in November because this could be a key match at the end of a lot of Sat/Tues fixtures and one which will indicate where we are!! COYW

North west player of the year i think it was.

Eckybonker

I think that he was actually Div 1 Player of the Year the season prior to joining us ! But either way you re correct - he is no lightweight in this league.

Yes that award is more important , he did win a Tranmere award too
" Buchanan, 27, was named Tranmere's player of the season by supporters in his one campaign at the club in 2011/12 before he left to join Preston."
- from the Liverpool Echo - this article

As people have said the 4-3-3 system is now working better with a bit of tinkering and work on the training field after all the teething troubles ….. using better players than Small forest and Davies helps too

Last edited:
I didn't go to the game Tuesday night (work commitments) but this post suggests the lad done very well. I have thought over the last few games Buchanan has got stronger at LB, maybe having to fight for the spot has helped. I read a few articles when we first signed him & i'm sure at Tranmere he won Player of the season, Goal of the season & North west league 1 player of the season. Hopefully now we're getting to see the same player they did :)

Last edited:
I didn't go to the game Tuesday night (work commitments) but this post suggests the lad done very well. I have thought over the last few games Buchanan has got stronger at LB, maybe having to fight for the spot has helped. I read a few articles when we first signed him & i'm sure at Tranmere he won Player of the season, Goal of the season & North west league 1 player of the season. Hopefully now we're getting to see the same player they did :)

He was unrecogniseable on Tuesday from the player he has been since we signed him. Bombing forward, had a few tricks to get past players, and not bad crossing. By a distance his best game for us, and hopefully he'll continue in that vein and not the one where he gets a nosebleed when crossing the halfway line.

Personally ernest, I think Buchanan has always been reasonable going forward, although wing back didn't suit him. He has the advantage over Laird in that he can go on the outside of the defender and get crosses in rather than cut in as Laird invariably does. He provided an excellent cross for Kevin Davies to score last season. Given Davies' lack of goals, I should remember who it was against but I can't!

It does seem that Buchanan has upped his game over the last match or two and that is pleasing. You are right about the way he supports the attack - in contrast Laird's great ability used to be getting up from deep positions to find space in and around the opposition penalty area so that he became a sort of extra forward.