PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Goals Conceded

Is there any statto on here who can tell myself and other people, how many of the goals that we have conceded this season have come from undealt with crosses or long balls into the box? We really don't seem to cope with either, that type of ball or the movement of the opposition when our box is under attack.

Does this point towards individual errors or the lack of a commanding, communicative centre back or keeper?

Thanks so much for your times.

Nice One.

I think it's just because of a complete lack of leadership.

There's no one in goal or playing at centre back who you could class as a Lucketti, Gregan, Mawene type, who will scream at people and take control of situations even if he has no right to.

I think we have a good squad but I think we're badly missing a proper captain at the back who will dominate that 6 yard box. Add that and I think we have every chance of top two.

Port Vales first goal was nothing to do with leadership.

King was just simply not challenging for the cross and was out jumped and the attacker had a clear header.

Port Vales first goal was nothing to do with leadership.

King was just simply not challenging for the cross and was out jumped and the attacker had a clear header.

That's called not taking control of a situation, which comes down to leadership.

King isn't a centreback anyway and should be our fourth choice in that position at best.

4 Wins on the trot probably makes us the form team of the division at the moment so its hard to be to critical of them , yes we could do with a stronger defense but having seen Bristol city a couple of times this season and them being the bench mark there dreadful defense reminds me there's nothing to fear . 2 clean sheets in the last 3 league games suggests some improvement, while last night's cup match were its all about scoring 1 more than your opponent was in all honesty a success . Yes it would be nice to have leaders at the back with big gobs but maybe thats yet to come in the not too distant future fingers crossed , in my opinion its all were short of

That's called not taking control of a situation, which comes down to leadership.

King isn't a centreback anyway and should be our fourth choice in that position at best.

Nothing at all to do with leadership when challenging for a header.

He was out jumped by Pope, simple as that.

The 2nd goal was poor marking, Huntington got sidetracked by their CBs run into the box and nobody picked Pope up.

Leadership in what way? If he had Lucketti or Gregan alongside him he'd still have lost the header.

I guess it would be fair to see how many goals we've scored from that route as well. Browne's on Saturday is a prime example, long kick from Jones, Garner flick on which should have been cleared and it fell to Browne. Maybe that's just where most goals come from in this league. Quality of defenders in general perhaps?

Leadership in what way? If he had Lucketti or Gregan alongside him he'd still have lost the header.

I guess it would be fair to see how many goals we've scored from that route as well. Browne's on Saturday is a prime example, long kick from Jones, Garner flick on which should have been cleared and it fell to Browne. Maybe that's just where most goals come from in this league. Quality of defenders in general perhaps?

Fair point, i'm not talking about going down the Westley route and just adding players with 'leadership qualities', they need to be up to scratch as well. We're just not commanding or intimidating at the back imo.

I've said it before but Andy Butler would tick all the boxes for me, unwanted at Sheffield United for some reason and his loan at Walsall will expire around Christmas.

Nothing at all to do with leadership when challenging for a header.

He was out jumped by Pope, simple as that.

The 2nd goal was poor marking, Huntington got sidetracked by their CBs run into the box and nobody picked Pope up.

Bang on the button those comments exactly as I saw it .....

I've said it before but Andy Butler would tick all the boxes for me, unwanted at Sheffield United for some reason and his loan at Walsall will expire around Christmas.
Butler left Walsall originally because he didn't like the commute from South Yorks (although it turns out he didn't like warming the bench at Sheff Utd even more).

Don't see why he'd replace one 2-hour commute for another.

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport...andy-butler-was-shopping-when-walsall-called/

In reply to the op ... don't most goals come from undealt with crosses / free kicks and corners into the box - no matter what the team? My guess is thats the commonest type of goal.
Dribbling from the half way line and finishing with a shot past the keeper get rave reviews because of their rarity.

1st Goal vs Notts County - Long Throw into the box not dealt with by Bailey Wright and Cassidy scores. Long ball not dealt with.

1st Goal vs Doncaster - Cross into the box not dealt with by either goalkeeper or defender. Cross not dealt with.

1st Goal vs Walsall - Defending a corner no one marks Walsall player who plays it across the box for there lad to score. Poor marking.

2nd Goal vs Walsall - Buchanan committed upfield, ball lost by Garner brilliant cross by there winger Bradshaw gets infront of Bailey Wright to score. Cross not dealt with.

3rd Goal vs Walsall - Corner, Clarke out jumped, doesn't even get his feet of the ground. Poor defending

1st Goal vs Chesterfield - Ball played through to Doyle who nutmegs Bailey Wright and chips the keeper. Poor defending but also a brilliant goal.

2nd Goal vs Chesterfield - Lad played through who outpaces Small forest, squares the ball across for a tap in. Poor defending by all.

3rd Goal vs Chesterfield - Garner doing his best Maradona impression. Poor from the messiah.

1st Goal vs Colchester - Lad in space shoots deflects off Clarke and Jones parries to Colchester player. Unlucky goal.

2nd Goal vs Colchester - Colchester player in space not closed down, but hits a worldy. Great goal.

1st Goal vs Port Vale - Great ball in from set piece, Pope out jumps King and gives Stuckmann no chance. Cross not dealt with.

2nd Goal vs Port Vale - Cross in not dealt with by either CB, Pope unmarked and heads through Stuckmanns legs. Cross not dealt with.

1st Goal vs Sheffield United - ball out by the defence not dealt with by Ben Davies we get numbers back but Baxters shot takes a huge deflection and goes in. Unlucky goal but not properly dealt with.

6/13 from crosses or set pieces not dealt with.

Last edited:
1st Goal vs Notts County - Long Throw into the box not dealt with by Bailey Wright and Cassidy scores. Long ball not dealt with.

1st Goal vs Doncaster - Cross into the box not dealt with by either goalkeeper or defender. Cross not dealt with.

1st Goal vs Walsall - Defending a corner no one marks Walsall player who plays it across the box for there lad to score. Poor marking.

2nd Goal vs Walsall - Buchanan committed upfield, ball lost by Garner brilliant cross by there winger Bradshaw gets infront of Bailey Wright to score. Cross not dealt with.

3rd Goal vs Walsall - Corner, Clarke out jumped, doesn't even get his feet of the ground. Poor defending

1st Goal vs Chesterfield - Ball played through to Doyle who nutmegs Bailey Wright and chips the keeper. Poor defending but also a brilliant goal.

2nd Goal vs Chesterfield - Lad played through who outpaces Small forest, squares the ball across for a tap in. Poor defending by all.

3rd Goal vs Chesterfield - Garner doing his best Maradona impression. Poor from the messiah.

1st Goal vs Colchester - Lad in space shoots deflects off Clarke and Jones parries to Colchester player. Unlucky goal.

2nd Goal vs Colchester - Colchester player in space not closed down, but hits a worldy. Great goal.

1st Goal vs Port Vale - Great ball in from set piece, Pope out jumps King and gives Stuckmann no chance. Cross not dealt with.

2nd Goal vs Port Vale - Cross in not dealt with by either CB, Pope unmarked and heads through Stuckmanns legs. Cross not dealt with.

1st Goal vs Sheffield United - ball out by the defence not dealt with by Ben Davies we get numbers back but Baxters shot takes a huge deflection and goes in. Unlucky goal but not properly dealt with.

6/13 from crosses or set pieces not dealt with.

Get a Life Ron......... :)

John Dreyer is our defensive coach-I'm sure he works with the players on crosses. Give Pope some credit- outjumping King for the 1st and losing his marker for the second. However, I don't think he'll trouble Clarke as much in the next match. Good shout,' Butler', leader,strong, aggressive and left footed. It's no coincidence in Walsall's rise since he returned.

Is there any statto on here who can tell myself and other people, how many of the goals that we have conceded this season have come from undealt with crosses or long balls into the box? We really don't seem to cope with either, that type of ball or the movement of the opposition when our box is under attack.

Does this point towards individual errors or the lack of a commanding, communicative centre back or keeper?

Thanks so much for your times.

Nice One.

Notts County 1-1 - cross came into the box from the right, Wright failed to deal, shot from inside the box which beat Jones on his near post.

Doncaster 1-1 - cross from the left, frumble by Jones, shot from inside the six yard box.

Middlesbrough 3-1 - 1st goal - free kick 25 yards out. 2nd goal - cross from the right, own goal by Clarke inside 6 yard box. 3rd goal - run from halfway line, no decent challenges made, shot from 20 yards.

Sheff Utd 1-1 - shot 20 yards out to the left of the box - deflected.

Walsall 3-1 - 1st goal - cross from the left to the edge of the box - no challenge from any defenders. 2nd goal - cross from the right - free header on the near post. 3rd goal - corner from the left - far post attacker out jumped Clarke.

Chesterfield 3-3 - 1st goal - turn and run from midfield - no challenge - into feet on the of box - again no challenge. 2nd goal - cross from left - scored inside 6 yard box. 3rd goal - penalty - but conceded from a corner from the left.

Colchester 4-2 - 1st goal - shot of edge of the box blocked - shot 6 yards out. 2nd goal - shot 25 yards out.

Port Vale 3-2 - 1st goal - free kick 50 yard out - header from left-hand side of box. Cross from the left - header at far post.

16 goals conceded in 14 games
12 conceded from shots
4 from headers
9 from crosses

Ey? Head and shoulders above Wright. Literally and metaphorically. Should start every game.

Thanks for the varied answers all. While I do recognise PROF that many goals are scored from crosses/balls into the box not being dealt with. I was more referring to the fact that if the opposition get a corner, dead ball or chance to cross into our box from open play, it always seems to be an edge of the seat moment for us supporters. I'd love to sit in the centre of my seat confident that someone in and around the box will deal with it.

Nice One.

Ey? Head and shoulders above Wright. Literally and metaphorically. Should start every game.

Should he bollocks, unless it's in a back three then I hope I never see Jack King play at centreback ever again.