PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Racism against the British Chinese population

jakehake

“Morel high warrior”
Staff member
Patron
Following on from this thread where a few British white people were able to say how "Chinky" isn't really a racist or offensive word to the Chinese and others were being precious on behalf of another group in society

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/30538929

British Chinese people and community leaders have been telling Newsbeat that racism against them isn't taken seriously enough.
Michael Wilkes from the British Chinese Project says people regularly contact the community group about physical and verbal abuse.
"We've been getting calls and emails about racist incidents from right across the UK," he says.
"There's a lack of knowledge about the words Chinese people find offensive.""
The population is widely dispersed across the country which means many Chinese people are very isolated, will stand out a lot more and be a lot more vulnerable," he adds.
The last census showed 0.7% of the population were Chinese in England and Wales - that's 392,700 people.
Michael claims a lot of racist attacks go unreported, because of widespread mistrust in the police.
He also believes there are cultural reasons for it.
"Essentially Chinese people don't like to worry other people," he says.
"There's a mindset within the Chinese community that we need to keep our business within ourselves, within our own family unit."
Sara, who didn't want us to use her real name or to be identified, is 24 and describes herself as British-born Chinese.
She says there's a double standard when it comes to people using the word "chink".
"It's just become such a norm that the N-word or the P-word aren't allowed but people feel they can use the C-word," she says.
"But I feel I die a little inside when some people say it.
"A lot of Chinese parenting traditionally had 'tough love' and we tend to divert a lot of negatives away and use that energy to drive us forward - it doesn't mean we're not still hurt by the abuse."
She grew up in a coastal town in the north-east of England where there were just a handful of Chinese families. Her family ran a takeaway.
"Every night it would sound as if it was raining and it would be people throwing loads of chunks of rocks," she says.
"We'd have windows smashed, they'd literally rip the tarmac off the roads and throw it at us, they'd shout at us, maybe spit."
Kicked unconscious
She says she regularly reported the racist abuse her family experienced to the police. There have been court cases but no-one has ever been convicted.
"We'd go to court, testify, but nothing would ever come of it," she says.
"It got to the point where we started losing faith in the police.
"We never had a life outside school because we daren't go outside."
Sara says every member of her family has been physically assaulted for being Chinese.
She cries as she tells us the worst moment - her mum, kicked unconscious on the doorstep of their home by a group of young men.
"My mum - she's so brave, she just said, 'That's just the way it is.'
"As a child you think your parents are the world, they have the control, they can protect you - but when you are 13 and you see your mum kicked to the ground, I guess that perception of the world started falling apart quite quickly for me."
It seems her story is not uncommon. Police reports and research into workplaces involving Chinese people suggest takeaways are the most likely outlets where racist attacks happen.
In October 2014, Chinese takeaway owner Jie Yu was stabbed during what police have described as a racially-aggravated attack in Edinburgh.
Three men have been charged with attempted murder and have been remanded in custody.
Simon Hu, a manager at Chinese restaurants in Wigan and Liverpool, tells Newsbeat it is also common for takeaways to be vandalised.
"I think it's generally due to the young population," he says.
Although the place he's currently working at hasn't been attacked he says he's been targeted in the past.
"I have been in situations myself where I have been called names," he says.
Ronny, 25, grew up in the north east of England and says he was one of 10 or 15 Chinese people in his town at the time.
He describes his experiences growing up as "quite suppressive and humiliating".
"The first few friends that I made gave me the nickname 'chink' and I was called that for a good five years."
As a teenager he says he experienced racist taunts every single day and one brutal physical attack.
"On my 18th birthday, at the station, three middle aged men came up to me and said, 'Oi chink, what are you staring at' before they beat me up."
When he left for university in a large city he thought he'd left racism behind but when he started work in the same region, he experienced it from a senior colleague.
"I felt like I'd taken two steps back", he says. "I feel like I will never really escape from racism."
"I get the occasional verbal abuse on the street - you get 'hey look its Jackie Chan' and they make Chinese sounds at me."
"I've definitely become more cynical towards other people," he says. "I still feel the air of intimidation and suppression. I still get that negative feeling around me wherever I go."

A very fair point, there is certainly a lot of it on here.

I always ask whether it is deliberate racism, or just naïve stupidity on the part of the person saying it. Usually it is the latter and so reporting does not seem like the right thing to do.

However, I do know that there is a slight perception of Britain being racist against the Chinese.

That said China can be a very very racist country.

Certainly food for thought in that article. Shinny is correct tho, there is racism in virtually every country, not just China. Doesnt make it right though.

As a developed nation with free education I think we should be leading in this.

China is still necessarily state focused and self-promoting (rather like we used to believe in the infallibility of the empire) so it is no shock that they might see laowai (non-Chinese) as different.

It is disappointing that we do not address such issues more clearly (rather preferring to hide behind nannyism).

Revisiting this thread it is perhaps obvious why so much is allowed to go under the current moderation regime.

Though no doubt this thread will be closed and me warned for bringing up old threads.

For what it is worth I reported posts two days ago and they are still there, which makes me suspect that the response was "ignore".

Revisiting this thread it is perhaps obvious why so much is allowed to go under the current moderation regime.

Though no doubt this thread will be closed and me warned for bringing up old threads.

For what it is worth I reported posts two days ago and they are still there, which makes me suspect that the response was "ignore".

Simon your lass is not British and ive never seen you be racist so fucking speak out loud and proud against this I'm proud of you and anyone who stands against this form of looking down on others because there different shall we say . For far too long now we make excuses for ignorant racists by saying oh its only a joke but its not its hurtful and needs putting a stop too . I was reading 1 thread this morning were someone was referred to as THE BLACK ! since when has that been acceptable yet when i pointed out this person was a racist a long time ago i was slated for it and accused of not liking them or had a problem with them , fucking right i do and ill never accept racism no matter who it is that does it .

Simon your lass is not British and ive never seen you be racist so fucking speak out loud and proud against this I'm proud of you and anyone who stands against this form of looking down on others because there different shall we say . For far too long now we make excuses for ignorant racists by saying oh its only a joke but its not its hurtful and needs putting a stop too . I was reading 1 thread this morning were someone was referred to as THE BLACK ! since when has that been acceptable yet when i pointed out this person was a racist a long time ago i was slated for it and accused of not liking them or had a problem with them , fucking right i do and ill never accept racism no matter who it is that does it .

This thread and the one Jake alluded to at the beginning of it certainly made me look at myself. I admit I casually referred going to a chinese takeaway as going to the chinky! I never even gave a minutes thought about it being potentially offensive. Its ignorance. I now go the the chinese takeaway, which actually isnt correct either as its cantonese.

sometimes people need, me included, to look inside.

I think there is a lot of ignorance, rather than malice.

However, the reported posts are still there. So I do wonder if ignorance is enough of an excuse.

This morning I was called ( among other things ).... A big, bald ugly f......r . Was I meant to be offended?

If I looked up the etiquette of name calling and correctness then I'd probably find that if my assailant had included the word " White " then I should have been.

"Sticks n stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me" obviously doesn't apply anymore so could someone please actually define " racism " ( in terms of name calling) for me and explain how it is different to any other name calling? And while we're at it please explain the word " race " because the last time I looked we were all of the " Human " race and just different shapes, sizes and colours with differing features.

Apparantly I'm " ignorant " so no abuse please, just some answers. Fanx.

I went to the "chinky" last night. And I will always go to the "chinky".

I will not however refer to any Chinese person as a "chinky"

This morning I was called ( among other things ).... A big, bald ugly f......r . Was I meant to be offended?

If I looked up the etiquette of name calling and correctness then I'd probably find that if my assailant had included the word " White " then I should have been.

"Sticks n stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me" obviously doesn't apply anymore so could someone please actually define " racism " ( in terms of name calling) for me and explain how it is different to any other name calling? And while we're at it please explain the word " race " because the last time I looked we were all of the " Human " race and just different shapes, sizes and colours with differing features.

Apparantly I'm " ignorant " so no abuse please, just some answers. Fanx.
Im pretty much the same in that whatever anyone calls me, and they do, is just that, names. But, Im always anxious never to actually, deliberately, to cause offence to anyone else. Thats just me, its how I am.

Im pretty much the same in that whatever anyone calls me, and they do, is just that, names. But, Im always anxious never to actually, deliberately, to cause offence to anyone else. Thats just me, its how I am.

Me too... And probably 95% of the population.......... Unfortunately we have this nasty little ilk that actually promote what folk should and shouldn't be offended by..............And probably leech a wage off it too.

Thanks to that " ilk " there are now hoards of people that are offended by things that they never gave a feck about in the first place...................

And granted , that doesn't say a lot about those that are so easily seduced........ But hey..If there's a claim to be had and few bob to be made. :rolleyes:

Insular. My advice would be
to travel a bit.

Fuck dudes you can't beat Bangldesh? WTF you guys still think like "superior"?

Last edited:
Fuck off.

If you are going to stay with your head up your arse and expect a following. Well fuck me.

My dream is to fuck your queen in the silly british pride.

Last edited:
Whilst I was in the mod role, single handedly changing the face of this forum for the better, I had a conversation on this very topic with another mod.

Although I do not see it as offensive or even slightly racist, who am I to decide if others are offended? If the Chinese population are offended by this word I won't use it. Why would I want to offend them?

Whilst I was in the mod role, single handedly changing the face of this forum for the better, I had a conversation on this very topic with another mod.

Although I do not see it as offensive or even slightly racist, who am I to decide if others are offended? If the Chinese population are offended by this word I won't use it. Why would I want to offend them?

Why'd you get sacked then?