PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Scott Laird rejects offer of fresh terms? (rumour I think)

For me he is not up to it at Championship level. Too slow and no first touch. Thanks Scott and good luck at wherever you end up.

Laird is class.

Offering a 27 year old player a one year deal is a bit tinpot in my opinion. I can maybe understand Welsh getting a one year deal, but with Laird he's either good enough or he's worth taking the risk and giving a two year deal.

For me he is not up to it at Championship level. Too slow and no first touch. Thanks Scott and good luck at wherever you end up.

His pace and first touch are also my concern with him. What if after a couple of months it's clear to all that he's not up to it at Championship level, and we're stuck with him for another 2 years? IMO offering 1 year is the correct, sensible decision by the club and if he wants a longer deal then he is easily replaceable and like you say, good luck to him in the future.

Quite like Scott Laird and quite interesting and articulate in interviews.
Wouldn't like to lose him but difficult to say whether he should be offered improved terms without knowing the details.
(But) IMO worth a 2 Year deal if the terms are reasonable for the step up.
However if the Player/Agent are asking for more than a reasonable improvement I would say reluctantly try your luck elsewhere.

Laird is a great character and I sincerely hope we retain him - we need to establish some continuity.

I can only imagine he's been offered the same terms on a one-year deal. I can't see why he wouldn't sign but maybe he's thinking long-term. He might very well be a bit part player next season and he certainly doesn't possess the ability to warrant a longer contract.

Laird is a great character and I sincerely hope we retain him - we need to establish some continuity.

I can only imagine he's been offered the same terms on a one-year deal. I can't see why he wouldn't sign but maybe he's thinking long-term. He might very well be a bit part player next season and he certainly doesn't possess the ability to warrant a longer contract.

If true, and if he comes off contract in 12 months time, with little/no game time this season (could easily happen), then he'll be in a very poor negotiating position when looking for a new club. So his 15/16 salary will have been 'League One' but then what would he get in 16/17?

Right now, his stock is high. He could probably find a League One club with a salary increase, on a 2 or 3 year deal.

Or should he test himself at Championship level with this club? Tough decision really.

To be fair i wasnt expecting mr confrontational to agree with me. :)

Is right.

He's like a likkle Jack Russell,gnawing at your pant leg!

I just hope he isn't as annoying in real life.

If he takes that attitude into the Grimsargh club I can't see him lasting five minutes.:D

These 2 players have been a breath of fresh air to the club with their attitude on and off the field. Although they may not necessarily be top class Championship players there is something to be said for keeping some of the character and enthusiasm players such as these have given us after some of the wankers signed by Irvine, Ferguson and Brown the last time we were at this level. Hope we can get them both to sign new deals.

it will be tough enough to get a new left back and strong midfielder without having to try and find two for each of these positions.

I agree with this. Laird was good in the second half of the season but Welsh was outstanding. Probably the biggest improvement in a PNE player i have seen.
So i too would keep them both for the sheer will to win they both showed for the club and spirit as mentioned.

Class? He's a steady league 1 left back who no longer offers anything going forward and is prone to errors defensively. Pre injury Laird keep Anyday but I'd have kept wiseman over him as it stands.

Laird is class. Deal with it you imbecele.

Class? He's a steady league 1 left back who no longer offers anything going forward and is prone to errors defensively. Pre injury Laird keep Anyday but I'd have kept wiseman over him as it stands.

Agree with this apart from the Wiseman part, he needed to go anyway. Both are suppose to be attacking full backs who offer lots going forward but in reality, their end product when going forward is poor 9 times out of 10. Both league 1 players.