PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Target?

The reality is that it's always 'next season' and 'if this' or 'if that'.

'If' the starts all align for us one season, then who knows. But sadly I think the promised land will always remain tantalisingly out of reach.

That's it, it's all ifs, buts and maybes. I get that the club are somewhat stuck between a rock and a hard place in the sense that all clubs in the Championship are hoping to one day get to the Premier League and the club will likely get slaughtered for showing no ambition if they don't say they aim to get to the PL but the same goes for stating you want to do something but then not showing that you want to in your actions, ie. selling Hugill for £10m (or there abouts) and reinvesting barely any of that back in the playing squad in the next transfer window.

One thing that I will always remember from the Fans' Forum last season was when John Kay said "Well, do you want a £10m training centre or a £10m player? Because you can't have both!".

That's it, it's all ifs, buts and maybes. I get that the club are somewhat stuck between a rock and a hard place in the sense that all clubs in the Championship are hoping to one day get to the Premier League and the club will likely get slaughtered for showing no ambition if they don't say they aim to get to the PL but the same goes for stating you want to do something but then not showing that you want to in your actions, ie. selling Hugill for £10m (or there abouts) and reinvesting barely any of that back in the playing squad in the next transfer window.

One thing that I will always remember from the Fans' Forum last season was when John Kay said "Well, do you want a £10m training centre or a £10m player? Because you can't have both!".

And as of yet, we have neither ???

I think that with the squad we currently have, and if we can keep them all till next season, then a £10 million proven goal scorer would do me because that is all I think we are missing to get us into the Prem, then we can have our £10million training centre as well!

Thought it pertinent to bump this thread, because despite our good form we are still 40 points from the play offs. I thought there was an outside chance for a while.

Many are presuming rob bo will be gone? Why? What do you know that the rest don't?
Targets.
  1. Keep team together.
  2. Develop varied formations and player understanding.
  3. Work out how to beat teams that park and he bus.
  4. Work out how to improve gates to 18k + . (That's minimum our play deserves imo)
Robbo will go as we have a wage cap.
Football is a short career that could end tomorrow; why do it for (say) 10k a week when someone else will pay you more?
Plenty out there will pay him more than PNE and this is the fundamental problem.
Many of our players could earn more elsewhere.
do you blame them? I don't as it's their job and whatever you do if someone offered you say double to do the same thing how many would say no?
the only way to keep players is pay the going rate.

Robbo will go as we have a wage cap.
Football is a short career that could end tomorrow; why do it for (say) 10k a week when someone else will pay you more?
Plenty out there will pay him more than PNE and this is the fundamental problem.
Many of our players could earn more elsewhere.
do you blame them? I don't as it's their job and whatever you do if someone offered you say double to do the same thing how many would say no?
the only way to keep players is pay the going rate.
I don't blame the vast majority of players who want to better themselves financially. As you say, it's a short career and who wouldn't want to secure themselves and their families futures at an early age. It's certain individuals in the Premier league who down tools in order to get their move and increase their salary from 200k to 300k a week that get my hackles up.

On the morning of the QPR game we were 100/1 with sky bet to reach the playoffs ......now we are 25/1.
Still a long shot but I will make the call on the play offs after the Blackbrn game on 9th March.
Should be a good day...all the AN doubters have promised to dress up as chickens.

The results for the last 20 games (from Swansea 12 Jan) need to be :
W:14 D:4 L2 or better to be close to play-offs

After 5 games, an update:
W:3 D:2 L:0

That is within the target.

Odds at the bookies have shortened considerably...

Not much room for error though.

Too much to do for me. A real pity because with a fit and healthy squad, we'd have done it.

You could start a 'Pity...Missed opportunities...Season over for me' thread.

Even though there are 15 games to watch and enjoy.

We need to start winning at home again. Our last home win was December 15th.

The manager knows that within the next 15 games, somewhere there needs to be 6 wins in succession - probably.

He wanted it to be sooner, rather than later. It's the right message, for sure.

So many teams above us have to play each other. Points will be dropped left right and centre. We have to try to be in a position to take advantage if the opportunity arises. Long shot but it helps team spirit just to try, and if you don't try......... you may as well go home. Team spirit is superb at the moment.

Currently 10 points off playoffs, with 15 games to play.

I believe we have maybe a 1% shot at making the playoffs, but if we continue our good run over the next 10 games we could still be in the mix with 5 to play. For me that’s the target, keep ourselves in the mix for as long as possible. At least then the last few games will be competitive.

The biggest advantage we have is that the person who believes we can do it the most happens to be our manager