PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Brexit never? Britain can still change its mind, says Article 50 autho

I understand P&L perfectly well tyvm and also the reality of employing people. I also understand the Trusted Trader Scheme and that simply keeps goods flowing, it does not obviate the need to levy tariffs under WTO. You have chosen to ignore the impact of tariffs which was the point I was making to you. Clearly you either don't want to engage with the reality of tariffs or it was all too complicated for you. The idea that some random bloke from PNEOnline might understand the impact of tariffs better than the CEOs and senior staff of companies such as Toyota and Nissan and BMW and Honda seems a little far fetched. They're clear about the negative impact. If you take the example of the Mini, many components for each car cross in and out of the Uk multiple times before they become part of the finished vehicle. Each time they cross in/out of the EU they will generate a tariff of 4.5%...those are the rules. Why would a company that is there to make a profit want to increase it's production costs and lower the profit margin eh?

As to your understanding of the Irish question, we have already established that you know fuck all and you still persist in labelling all nationalists the IRA. Give your empty head a wobble will you? The DUP opposed the GFA in the first place, theyre a bunch of terrorist supporting, creationist nutjobs who do not represent the majority of the population of NI. They are happy to have different rules in NI when it suits them, yet kick off about the backstop which is supported by a majority of NI citizens and NI businesses.
In addition to tariffs, the Rules of Origin issue will also lead to problems, with any UK supplied components obviously not being classed as EU.

No comments about Mays letter to corbyn?

My take is that shes conceding Corbyns points about A customs Union.

From May's letter... "As I explained when we met, the Political Declaration explicitly provides for the benefits of a customs union - no tariffs, fees, charges or quantitative restrictions across all sectors and no checks on rules of origin.
However, it also recognises the development of the UK's independent trade policy beyond our economic partnership with the EU blah blah"

I don't think she's conceding Corbyn's points on the customs union. It's possible... but I think more likely she is putting out more smoke and mirrors and billy bushlit.

The Political Declaration of course has no legal weight. And whilst it provides for those things, by my recollection it also provides for many other possibilities. That agreement is written like a horoscope... such that there is a little bit of something to satisfy everyone.

But when it comes down to final negotiation, there is no way that the EU will be allowing all the benefits of a customs union for all sectors AND the ability to strike unfettered trade deals with other countries - which is what she's trying to imply there. It will end up as either one or the other, not both... but by "providing for" them, it all supposed to look very appealing.

Once she's got Jeremy's vote, he'll be cast off the moment the departure from the EU is irrevocable.

From May's letter... "As I explained when we met, the Political Declaration explicitly provides for the benefits of a customs union - no tariffs, fees, charges or quantitative restrictions across all sectors and no checks on rules of origin.
However, it also recognises the development of the UK's independent trade policy beyond our economic partnership with the EU blah blah"

I don't think she's conceding Corbyn's points on the customs union. It's possible... but I think more likely she is putting out more smoke and mirrors and billy bushlit.

The Political Declaration of course has no legal weight. And whilst it provides for those things, by my recollection it also provides for many other possibilities. That agreement is written like a horoscope... such that there is a little bit of something to satisfy everyone.

But when it comes down to final negotiation, there is no way that the EU will be allowing all the benefits of a customs union for all sectors AND the ability to strike unfettered trade deals with other countries - which is what she's trying to imply there. It will end up as either one or the other, not both... but by "providing for" them, it all supposed to look very appealing.

Once she's got Jeremy's vote, he'll be cast off the moment the departure from the EU is irrevocable.
Id say that shes emphasisng similarities in boths positions as opposed to the differences?

Id say that shes emphasisng similarities in boths positions as opposed to the differences?

Exactly... But she's a politician. When she's back amongst the ERG, she'll be EMPHASISING something completely different!

Theresa will have ulterior motives. Jeremy has got something she wants... about 200+ MPs !

Brexit: May has ruled out Corbyn's customs union plan – No 10

Theresa May is to update MPs on her Brexit progress on Tuesday, a day earlier than previously announced, No 10 has said, while stressing the prime minister had completely ruled out Jeremy Corbyns proposal of a departure deal involving customs union membership.

Exactly... But she's a politician. When she's back amongst the ERG, she'll be EMPHASISING something completely different!

Theresa will have ulterior motives. Jeremy has got something she wants... about 200+ MPs !
I agree, she's playing both ends against the middle and trying to please whichever audience it is that she happens to be addressing at any given time. It's flushed out the likes of Truss who has allegedly threatened to resign if a customs union is proposed. She must know that the ERG and DUP have enough votes to stymie her so she needs to get a good portion of Labour onside if she is to have any chance of a deal going through.

Brexit: May has ruled out Corbyn's customs union plan – No 10

Theresa May is to update MPs on her Brexit progress on Tuesday, a day earlier than previously announced, No 10 has said, while stressing the prime minister had completely ruled out Jeremy Corbyns proposal of a departure deal involving customs union membership.

Interesting, I cant help but pick up on this in that report.

“We are absolutely clear on this: we’re not considering Jeremy Corbyn’s customs proposals; we’re not considering any proposals to remain in the customs union. We must have our own, independent trade policy,”

All about the wording, at no point has Labour suggested we remain in, "The Customs Union."

It has always been about "A," customs union.

Like others have said its about keeping, or attemting to, her party on both sides happy.

Interesting, I cant help but pick up on this in that report.

All about the wording, at no point has Labour suggested we remain in, "The Customs Union."

It has always been about "A," customs union.

Like others have said its about keeping, or attemting to, her party on both sides happy.
You need a P

Pneessex said

‘’As to your understanding of the Irish question, we have already established that you know fuck all and you still persist in labelling all nationalists the IRA. Give your empty head a wobble will you? The DUP opposed the GFA in the first place; they’re a bunch of terrorist supporting, creationist nutjobs who do not represent the majority of the population of NI. They are happy to have different rules in NI when it suits them, yet kick off about the backstop which is supported by a majority of NI citizens and NI businesses’’.

Well here is one ‘nutjob’ who fully agrees with them

Our cowardly politicians’ gave in to a murderous organization that amongst other things, killed Kids in Warrington and Horses in London, very brave of them wasn’t it?

If our politicians had any bottle they would have let our undercover security people loose and taken the ‘bastards out wherever they found them, just like the Yanks are doing with the Islamic fundamentalists in Syria.

You exterminate rats and that’s what the IRA and its supporters are IMO

Pneessex said

‘’As to your understanding of the Irish question, we have already established that you know fuck all and you still persist in labelling all nationalists the IRA. Give your empty head a wobble will you? The DUP opposed the GFA in the first place; they’re a bunch of terrorist supporting, creationist nutjobs who do not represent the majority of the population of NI. They are happy to have different rules in NI when it suits them, yet kick off about the backstop which is supported by a majority of NI citizens and NI businesses’’.

Well here is one ‘nutjob’ who fully agrees with them

Our cowardly politicians’ gave in to a murderous organization that amongst other things, killed Kids in Warrington and Horses in London, very brave of them wasn’t it?

If our politicians had any bottle they would have let our undercover security people loose and taken the ‘bastards out wherever they found them, just like the Yanks are doing with the Islamic fundamentalists in Syria.

You exterminate rats and that’s what the IRA and its supporters are IMO
[/

I say again, Nationalists and the IRA are not the same thing and to try to conflate the two is disgraceful, ignorant and prejudiced. You should be ashamed of yourself instead of proudly wallowing in your own idiocy.

The DUP do not represent the majority in NI: that is a fact.

May needs to ignore her hard line Brexiteers and Corbyn needs to ignore his hard line Remainers, and that way, a compromise that can unite the majority of the country will emerge.

I think Corbyn is willing to play his part, but what about May?

I say again, Nationalists and the IRA are not the same thing and to try to conflate the two is disgraceful, ignorant and prejudiced. You should be ashamed of yourself instead of proudly wallowing in your own idiocy.

The DUP do not represent the majority in NI: that is a fact.

The equivalent of the IRA would have existed in England had the Nazis won in 45. Their methods were abhorrent but they were an inevitable consequence of the history of Ireland in the last 400 years.

Here is Noam Chomsky reminding us why we might need t look beyond the whole ‘EU good, UK bad’ narrative currently spewing copiously from all media sources!