PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Yaxley-Lennon again!!!

Exactly - that's why the idea of context not being important in the Dankula case worried me.

It's certainly a complex issue - we have been down the road of free speech in terms of social media, BTL, and wider society. We largely agree, albeit that I am very liberal when it comes to free speech (Too liberal? That's a fair question). I am a fan of Steven Pinker - he's pretty much where am am concerning freedom of expression.

In terms of art etc., I am very concerned about recent trends and pressures on artists and publishers afraid of public outcries. I am not a fan of stripping contentious language out of classic books or banning them from classrooms - they are a product of their time and should be discussed as such. Even modern writers are coming under pressure to self-censor, which is a trend I do not like.

An interesting article from Lionel Shriver, if you have time:

Growing up, I had a strong interest in US censorship by the 'Moral Majority' based on 'Christian Values,' with acts such as arresting Jello Biafra for obscenity, or Tipper Gore's Christian fundies going after musicians for questionable lyrics (won't somebody think of the children!). I am concerned that there is a new moral majority being created, which sees nothing wrong with trying to ban things that they do not like because they 'trigger' someone.

I agree totally with Lionel....though if it stops her writing fiction, that's a bonus ?;) Ive tried to read "We need to talk about Kevin" at least half a dozen times and failed abjectly every time!!

I agree totally with Lionel....though if it stops her writing fiction, that's a bonus ?;) Ive tried to read "We need to talk about Kevin" at least half a dozen times and failed abjectly every time!!
You should pick up, try to read, then put down Don Quixote. Better class of unread book.

I know what youre all saying, to this day Malory Towers remains unfinished. Just couldnt relate to the story at all :)

You should pick up, try to read, then put down Don Quixote. Better class of unread book.
Ah, but I've picked up, read from cover to cover, and understood, Don Quixote :). I have never managed to complete any Tolstoy novel though, which is certainly classier

That's right, a non-Muslim women thought, I'll get a few Muslim women to come and get a bit of exercise for £5 a pop at Beeston community centre. She gets death threats from a man paid a lot more by an American billionaire. Then you come on blathering about enforced segregation. Do something useful, you, Joan and the monkey should get your yellow vests on and toddle off down the flag market and see how many follow you. ????

Keep flying that flag Dudley........

Nor is it reserved for academia. The issue is; Why are the right such hypocritical snowflakes? Interesting article in The Guardian from a couple of years ago, too long for most on here.

That applies to anything that you write sweetcheeks....

If Robinson brought up the Islamic issues in a more constructive way then it would be a good thing. But you get the impression he is just stirring up hate towards a minority group. Agree with his facebook page being banned.

If Robinson brought up the Islamic issues in a more constructive way then it would be a good thing. But you get the impression he is just stirring up hate towards a minority group. Agree with his facebook page being banned.
Here is the bloke you can thank for said banning

Dunno if it's true but if it is then he seems a perfectly reasonable bloke... I can understand why his views where upheld.. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

They seem like right boring sensitive bastards. There is more to life than sitting inside a Mosque listening to fairy tales and believing all of the violent propaganda spewed their way.

Arrogant divs. Their way or death, ok!

They seem like right boring sensitive bastards. There is more to life than sitting inside a Mosque listening to fairy tales and believing all of the violent propaganda spewed their way.

Arrogant divs. Their way or death, ok!

sums religion up but youre only allowed to say this about certain religions. Woe betide anyone who says it about certain others!

sums religion up but youre only allowed to say this about certain religions. Woe betide anyone who says it about certain others!
Only one religion gets the hump so much so that murderous violence is the only answer.

If they lightened up and realised that mickey taking is just that - not to be taken seriously - then the world would become a better place overnight. Instead, they lust for blood.

Quite sad that human nature responds in this way.

Only one religion gets the hump so much so that murderous violence is the only answer.

If they lightened up and realised that mickey taking is just that - not to be taken seriously - then the world would become a better place overnight. Instead, they lust for blood.

Quite sad that human nature responds in this way.
I think theres a few might disagree in certain middle East areas, but hey.

D0rYrrXWwAI1KuH

D0rYt0wWwAIIzLw

??