PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Double his wages, before it's too late.

Regardless

-
Patron
Without doubt, someone is going to be coming for Alex Neil... pretty soon. Let's assume that PNE are prepared to double his wages to try to keep him.

Scenario 1.
The new club offers AN treble his current wage. His head is bound to be turned - even if he feels professionally invested in the current project. Trev/Peter react by offering the max possible salary... let's say double his current wage... but psychologically, the offer to have his wages trebled...presumably by a bigger club, it's going to probably win over his heart/head within the first 24hrs of thinking about it, and our new and still very inferior offer isn't going to change his mind.

Scenario 2.
Peter/Trev proactively offer AN the max possible salary now... let's say double his current wage. Then someone approaches Alex with their super offer (treble his original wage). But this is now only a 50% increase on his new wage. Attractive... but not the mind-blowing compelling case of trebling his wage. Now it's no longer the 'no brainer' and he might choose to stick with us.

This big offer IS going to come Alex Neil's way. So if Trev/Peter would be prepared to double his wages.. doing it NOW could have a huge impact on the outcome..

Without doubt, someone is going to be coming for Alex Neil... pretty soon. Let's assume that PNE are prepared to double his wages to try to keep him.

Scenario 1.
The new club offers AN treble his current wage. His head is bound to be turned - even if he feels professionally invested in the current project. Trev/Peter react by offering the max possible salary... let's say double his current wage... but psychologically, the offer to have his wages trebled...presumably by a bigger club, it's going to probably win over his heart/head within the first 24hrs of thinking about it, and our new and still very inferior offer isn't going to change his mind.

Scenario 2.
Peter/Trev proactively offer AN the max possible salary now... let's say double his current wage. Then someone approaches Alex with their super offer (treble his original wage). But this is now only a 50% increase on his new wage. Attractive... but not the mind-blowing compelling case of trebling his wage. Now it's no longer the 'no brainer' and he might choose to stick with us.

This big offer IS going to come Alex Neil's way. So if Trev/Peter would be prepared to double his wages.. doing it NOW could have a huge impact on the outcome..

I have to disagree and say that Neil will continue to go under the radar as long as we stay mid-table/cusp of playoffs. I reckon only a play-off victory or final defeat would make clubs sit up and take notice. I guess there could always be a Rowett-like scenario, where a club comes down from the Prem in search of a new manager, but I honestly think our club is too low profile and that other clubs don’t take our achievements as seriously. We don’t have the prestige of Derby for instance, to use the example of Rowett again.

Won't happen.
That's why we lose players and Robinson will be the latest to leave.
PNEs policy is that's it ,take it or leave it and seemingly there are no exceptions.

In an ideal world yes but we’ve all seen the financial figures, we are running at a 2 mill ? Loss a year as it is , so a player sale has to fund this , catch 22 I guess but we are the small fish in the giant pond in this league, have to say his unbeaten derby record since being with us is phenomenal, in fact never lost a derby game at either Hamilton or Norwich either, some going that, we are very fortunate to have him

Must admit, if Neill was to go, I’d have great trust in the owners bringing in a replacement as they have had the last 2 bang on.

That said, I could only see him going if the offer was too good to turn down (i.e. big Premier League club with more money etc.) I doubt the club would simply chuck money at him just to keep him, as that would mean less going into the squad - I would rather have more spent on players, than most of it being tied up in the manager.

However, he does deserve to be rewarded for what he has done since coming here. All the talk was about Grayson when he left and people wondering if he was up to the job. Neill just rolled his sleeves up and got stuck in and I think has made us better.

I seriously cannot believe that clubs are NOT looking at AN, if only that he is winning so many games and playing attractive football, as well as being close to MOM. Clubs just don't look at managers who win the league or get into the play offs, it's how they get there too. As for what PNE shou;ld do about keeping him, I don't think it's Trev's style to treble his wages. He is more likely to lengthen his contract so if anyone comes calling we get more compo. The thing I like about AN is that he brings players on and turns them into winners, look at Robbo, Davies and Barky 3 examples of his fine art.

Must admit, if Neill was to go, I’d have great trust in the owners bringing in a replacement as they have had the last 2 bang on.

That said, I could only see him going if the offer was too good to turn down (i.e. big Premier League club with more money etc.) I doubt the club would simply chuck money at him just to keep him, as that would mean less going into the squad - I would rather have more spent on players, than most of it being tied up in the manager.

However, he does deserve to be rewarded for what he has done since coming here. All the talk was about Grayson when he left and people wondering if he was up to the job. Neill just rolled his sleeves up and got stuck in and I think has made us better.
you think?

We’re ten times better than when Grayson left.

I seriously cannot believe that clubs are NOT looking at AN, if only that he is winning so many games and playing attractive football, as well as being close to MOM. Clubs just don't look at managers who win the league or get into the play offs, it's how they get there too. As for what PNE shou;ld do about keeping him, I don't think it's Trev's style to treble his wages. He is more likely to lengthen his contract so if anyone comes calling we get more compo. The thing I like about AN is that he brings players on and turns them into winners, look at Robbo, Davies and Barky 3 examples of his fine art.

I think AN is on a rolling 12 month contract.

I think TH is probably more concerned with paying off sacked managers rather than recieving compensation when they move on.

Trevor will be using PNE losses to offset against tax liabilities elsewhere

TH does offset the losses with the ultimate holding company. He then pays PNE for the tax benefit he receives.

This is recorded in the accoounts every year.

In 2017/18 there wasn't a payment because the club made a slight profit.
In 2016/17 PNE Ltd received £1,168,000 payment for tax losses from group companies.
In 2015/16 PNE Ltd received £695,000 payment for tax losses from group companies.

Was in relation to him being headhunted, not sacked.

I meant that he is on a 12 month rolling contact becuase the club want to avoid paying ex-managers for several years. So extending his contract would go against club policy.

Although it could be that AN also prefers a rolling contract.

In an ideal world yes but we’ve all seen the financial figures, we are running at a 2 mill ? Loss a year as it is , so a player sale has to fund this , catch 22 I guess but we are the small fish in the giant pond in this league, have to say his unbeaten derby record since being with us is phenomenal, in fact never lost a derby game at either Hamilton or Norwich either, some going that, we are very fortunate to have him

Catch 22 indeed... but I think Neil is adding value to the playing squad all the time. So apart from success on the pitch, he's more than paying his own wages.

3rd favourite for West Brom but honestly not sure he would go. Doesn't strike me as the sort to leave a job half finished

3rd favourite for West Brom but honestly not sure he would go. Doesn't strike me as the sort to leave a job half finished
No offence intended but I think you're incredibly naïve if you think he wouldn't go to a club like West Brom if they came in for him, would probably double his money at least. It's just a job.