PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Alex Neil's position

So that we may concentrate on North End, here are some observations on events yesterday.

First, this article, containing interview material :

Two Specific comments got my main attention

“If you go to a team that’s spending lots of money it brings a lot of pressure and a certain amount of expectancy about what you’re going to deliver and if you don’t deliver it you’re going to leave."

Also noting that Neil has been in this position before. Slightly worse actually. He'd already got Norwich promoted once. At the second ask (of promotion to the Premier League) he didn't succeed at the first attempt and was sacked.

“If you don’t deliver what a club expects, and it is about what they expect, then you’re in trouble.”

That word: trouble. This tells us that he won't be doing it again.

And if you consider the first quote more carefully, he's ruling out quite a few other clubs as well.

Other clubs will always be interested in a manager like Alex Neil but the admiration is clearly not mutual.

My 2 pennies worth...

Let's get on with the remainder of the season.

So that we may concentrate on North End, here are some observations on events yesterday.

“If you go to a team that’s spending lots of money it brings a lot of pressure and a certain amount of expectancy about what you’re going to deliver and if you don’t deliver it you’re going to leave."

Also noting that Neil has been in this position before. Slightly worse actually. He'd already got Norwich promoted once. At the second ask (of promotion to the Premier League) he didn't succeed at the first attempt and was sacked.

“If you don’t deliver what a club expects, and it is about what they expect, then you’re in trouble.”

And if you consider the first quote more carefully, he's ruling out quite a few other clubs as well.

Other clubs will always be interested in a manager like Alex Neil but the admiration is clearly not mutual.

My 2 pennies worth...

Didnt he turn down the sunderland job, before Grayson took it, or is my memory playing tricks?

I think it’s a huge assumption to say he wouldn’t be interested. It’s a bigger club with a bigger budget. However the fact they sacked their manager whilst 4th says a great deal about expectancy.

I personally can’t see him going yet (gut feeling). He’s safe here, here’s got a good squad and injury free we stand a good chance at a play off place with this team, this year or next. Another year here whether he fails or not will likely land him a much better club than West Brom.

Raefil: I honestly don't know. However, that was a difficult gig for several managers in a row. Easy to turn down.

Sutty: I'm suggesting that it's not something that we have to assume any more. The rest... I agree, except for the last sentence, and that's for the reasons he stated.

They're 4th, they'll comfortably make the play offs and they have a real shot of promotion, on that basis it'd be a hard job to turn down.

However time is ticking on, games come fast in April (we have 6, others have more, Bristol have 8) so the likelihood is they'll look for someone out of work to quickly come in and try and get them over the line.

I'm sure Neil is on the list, it's no coincidence that Wagner, Jokanovic and Neil are on the list as winners of the play offs a few seasons back. Bruce would have been as well I'm sure if he hadn't just gone into Sheff Wed.

My 2 pennies worth...

Interesting and I really hope you're take on it proves to be correct (y)

They're 4th, they'll comfortably make the play offs and they have a real shot of promotion, on that basis it'd be a hard job to turn down.

However time is ticking on, games come fast in April (we have 6, others have more, Bristol have 8) so the likelihood is they'll look for someone out of work to quickly come in and try and get them over the line.

I'm sure Neil is on the list, it's no coincidence that Wagner, Jokanovic and Neil are on the list as winners of the play offs a few seasons back. Bruce would have been as well I'm sure if he hadn't just gone into Sheff Wed.
I'm actually shocked they sacked Moore.

none of us really know his motivations, but my pennyworth is "he is only mid 30s and the big clubs can still come in a decade or so", he has a young family who he will probably not want to be moving about every 18 months, he has said 'time and again' he prefers to develop "a project" than trying to buy success.....WE are a project and he has also said he's never been happier than he is at PNE....

So - yes he will go to a big club - but not now and not until 'this project' has reached its goal or hit the buffers!

If West Brom offer to double his wage and give him a big budget in the summer then he'll be off no doubt.

We just have to hope Jokanovic gets the gig instead.

They were a completely different prospect as a club when Alan Irvine turned them down.

sf: well, Alex can't just be taken. He has to agree. It does not seem to be money.

Listening though ...

sports: I recall those statements as well. He handpicked PNE - he couldn't do better, in his opinion.

Surely we should be showing Alex more love given what he has done?

Those so critical early on in the season should be ashamed.
It’s taken me a season and a half for me to feel optimistic about him, don’t know why, but it just has, Think I was waiting to see what would happen when he started to bring his own players in. When we hit the buffers it looked like we could not buy a win, so I can understand why people were getting nervy. I said I would see where we were at Christmas, it still wasn’t great but was still hoping he would prove people wrong, even though I still had doubts. But fair play to him, he’s done well, the footy sometimes is awful, but needs must and a point is a point. We also play some damn good stuff when the opposition allows and we have that bit more space.

I think Alex Neil would be a big success at West Brom which is what worries me.

I can see AN being a success at a lot of clubs, as I could see Sean Dyche being a success too, especially at keeping a club in the top flight.

But this club has just sacked there manager, they are in 4th position, that smacks of desperation and ruthlessness by the owners, are they the sort of bosses you would like to work for?

WBA are a typical club for bouncing between the top 2 leagues as well, it’s always going to be an up and down job, similar to Norwich, big expectations but not that big a club.

WBA are going through that Prem hangover phase, overpaid players who are not that good, like Swansea, Stoke etc etc.

I would be hugely surprised if AN even looked at that job, I think he’s far too intelligent, and he’s been at a club like that before, he’s far better continuing at PNE till a really juicy job pops up.

The expectations of taking over at WBA now are immense, getting the players onside with 10 games to go, club ideally looking for auto promotion which is not going to happen, trying to keep them in the play offs, the roulette wheel of the play offs, starting next season as a failure.

Not worth it mate.....

The end of next season is when if we have not made the Premiership we might have problems hanging on both to players and the present manager. Right now let's focus on the present. Get something tonight and this season could start to get really exciting.