PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Pullis

Apparently they’re appealing the red.
Very strange decision. They are unlikely to win the appeal, he’s already going to miss 4 games as it’s not his first sending off this season; so if the league add another game on, which is highly likely he’ll miss half their remaining games.

To their credit quite a few Boro fans are now saying on their match day thread that having seen it back they think the decision to send him off was correct.

Both feet are on the ground as opposed to inches off the ground. To myself - and I might be wrong here - this is the major difference.
Just before contact JD, both feet of Ayala were definitely not on the ground, hence I would suggest once both feet are off the ground, control is lost.

I am sure that is part of the referees decision making, if you come in with both feet off the ground, don't complain if the ref interprets it as a sending off offence. Yes, perhaps Ayala did get the ball, but it could have easily have been Barkers shin bone that he got, hence for me, correct decision, and why we didn't get a positive response from the later incident when Nmecha had his legs scythed from under him, well that remains a mystery.

I really miss the days when players could impose themselves on a game by being physical and by intimidating the opposition, just like Hunter, Bremner and Smith did in years gone by. I understand the need for player safety, but football will be non contact in another 20 years at the rate it's going.

Games involving the terms "Get stuck in"..followed by "get up you mard arse" are happy, distant memories.

Just before contact JD, both feet of Ayala were definitely not on the ground, hence I would suggest once both feet are off the ground, control is lost.

I am sure that is part of the referees decision making, if you come in with both feet off the ground, don't complain if the ref interprets it as a sending off offence. Yes, perhaps Ayala did get the ball, but it could have easily have been Barkers shin bone that he got, hence for me, correct decision, and why we didn't get a positive response from the later incident when Nmecha had his legs scythed from under him, well that remains a mystery.
The quote of mine that you quoted was referencing Pearsons tackle as in Kingys video.

I really miss the days when players could impose themselves on a game by being physical and by intimidating the opposition, just like Hunter, Bremner and Smith did in years gone by. I understand the need for player safety, but football will be non contact in another 20 years at the rate it's going.

Games involving the terms "Get stuck in"..followed by "get up you mard arse" are happy, distant memories.

You forgot to mention the barrel chested Dave McKay.

I haven’t seen a replay but my initial reaction was the scissor tackle on Browne could also have been a red card - a very dangerous tackle IMHO.

There was a little bit of 'afters' in there too. Definitely a yellow, and with the degree of deliberateness, a VAR ref would have been pondering a red.

The aim of Ayala is to use aggression to intimidate players into pulling out of 50/50 challenges (or even as in this case (40/60 in favour of Barker). Barker would have been first to the ball had he not pulled out, but seeing Ayala steaming in 2 footed off the ground knew he would have been totally wiped out even if he did get there first. Some would say he bottled out of it, but in the modern game skill out trumps aggression every time.

The reason I despise Pulis is that he builds his teams around these sort of bullying players, always has, going back to the days of Gillingham.

All about the follow through to be fair, was a good challenge in my book but the rules are soft now so can't argue with the decision.

how is it a good challenge? he misses the ball completely hits barker and then gets the ball with his arse

But it’s not 10 years ago, it’s now :rolleyes:

No shit.

I'm not a professional referee either so it doesn't really matter does it? There are plenty of rules that I think are utter bollocks.

Thought this was a football forum, not an FA investigation.

Two discussions here.

1 - was it a red card (in my view, boro can't complain, although the "did he go in too hard" question is at the discretion of the ref)

2 - are the laws as they stand correct (more split - on the one hand I like a good crunching challenge as much as anyone, part of the heritage of the game in England is about toughness, but neither do I want to see nutcases like Chris Morgan going out to hurt people under the justification that he "got the ball").