PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

VAR 2019

VAR worked well here, the Arsenal player scored but the liner flagged him offside?????????

EFvaqK1XoAEynUx

VAR worked well here, the Arsenal player scored but the liner flagged him offside?????????

EFvaqK1XoAEynUx

Maguire literally right in front of him and he misses it. The officials were poor all game, as were the players. Staggering drop in quality over the years for both clubs.

Isn't the linesman not meant to flag until it's in the net now VAR is in use ?
Yep. They keep getting it wrong though. Apparently the refs are telling players to play to the whistle. Now that's something I was taught at primary school but granted I never turned pro so things might have changed.

Isn't the linesman not meant to flag until it's in the net now VAR is in use ?

I've heard it said that if there is plenty of clear daylight between the attacker and defender, then he should flag. And looking at that photo, there was definitely plenty of clear daylight !!

Those crossing over ones are the hardest ones to get right, particularly when you consider how quick Aubameyang is, but with the gap there the linesman has to get that right. He appears to be looking more left than he probably should.

Regardless he should have kept his flag down until it hit the net and in fact the ref needs a bit of praise for not blowing his whistle early. You can see Young slow down but I don't think he'd have got there anyway.

I just caught up with this thread, absolutely stunned that there has been no mention of the Grealish thing at Palace early on in the season! Genuinely some of the worst officiating I've ever seen and because the whistle went about 0.2 seconds before the ball crossed the line, VAR can't look at it? What's the fucking point of it then?!

As ever, VAR is not the problem - the inconsistency of the referees running VAR is the problem.

And in the case of Dermot Gallagher, the inconsistency of the ex-referees defending the referees running VAR is also the problem.

Here (from earlier in the thread) we have Dermot opining that a very obvious rugby tackle in the box is not a penalty.

And here, Dermot opines that the wafting of a few air molecules quite close to Mané's ankle is definitely a penalty.

Of the Mané incident, Dermot says: "it's a foul - and once it's a foul, you have to give a penalty".

Yet of the Rodri incident - where Rodri is literally wrestled to the ground, "a foul" in the laws of the game for at least the last 100 years - he applies no such principle.

While a single refereeing brain can merrily hold these 2 self-contradictory opinions simultaneously - and can merrily use these opinions to back up his mates in the face of overwhelming evidence that they fucked up - there is no hope for the integrity of football refereeing, VAR or no VAR.

VAR is not a magic autonomous computer - it's a computer operated by the same old inconsistent, inscrutable and (often) incompetent referees that were the problem in the first place.

As ever, VAR is not the problem - the inconsistency of the referees running VAR is the problem.

At the start of all this, one of my main gripes with the idea of VAR was that wherever it makes decisions for offences that CAN BE subjective, rather than clear fact, then the best that you could ever do would be to reduce the number of errors. But the flip side is that the errors that remain will be magnified a hundred times because, without VAR, normal football fans understand that a ref has a split second to make a decision and, even though we will shout like hell, we accept mistakes. But how can you accept a mistake when you have several referees with the benefit of 6 camera angles and slow motion?

The number one problem with VAR is that fans are learning to sometimes hold back with the unbridled joy of a goal in case VAR belatedly spots that someone had a nose in an offside position. But the number two problem is that we will simply be trading for a moderate number of annoying bad decisions for a smaller number of utterly dreadful decisions.

So I don't really share your opening line. I think (to a greater or lesser extent) there will always be inconsistency in VAR refereeing. The problem is indeed with VAR itself.

At the start of all this, one of my main gripes with the idea of VAR was that wherever it makes decisions for offences that CAN BE subjective, rather than clear fact, then the best that you could ever do would be to reduce the number of errors. But the flip side is that the errors that remain will be magnified a hundred times because, without VAR, normal football fans understand that a ref has a split second to make a decision and, even though we will shout like hell, we accept mistakes.

However when the introduction of VAR was being discussed it was said to improve the correct decisions from about 95% to around 98% so they never said they would be getting everything right with it.

After the first 4 rounds of matches in the Prem they'd changed 6 outcomes and should have changed 4 more (based on reviews later on in slow time). So 10 decisions in 4 rounds of matches. For all the upheaval, interruptions and debate around it you have to ask if it is worth it.

So I don't really share your opening line. I think (to a greater or lesser extent) there will always be inconsistency in VAR refereeing. The problem is indeed with VAR itself.
Fair enough.

I think while we have referees deploying VAR principally to cover the arses of their referee colleagues on the pitch, rather than to get things right on the pitch, then we'll never get things right on the pitch.

More evidence that VAR is first and foremost a computer system being operated by incompetents.

I strongly suspect the "series of measures" Hawk-Eye will be taking will be reminiscent of Alan Partridge being trained on how not to receive Bangkok Chickboys on his hotel TV.

Hawk-Eye company apologises for VAR confusion

As I said a long time ago VAR has now encouraged a defender to dive in the box after minimal contact to have a goal disallowed ..... fuckin mess !!!!

Evans would never have got the ball anyway.

As I said a long time ago VAR has now encouraged a defender to dive in the box after minimal contact to have a goal disallowed ..... fuckin mess !!!!

Evans would never have got the ball anyway.
And then there was the farce at Tottenham stadium.... The big electronic scoreboard said “ No Goal “ but the ref gave it.

apparently , somebody in the VAR room pressed the wrong button !

Controversy now in the United Liverpool game. Personally I just think Origi is overly dramatic when he goes down and it just isn’t a foul.

Controversy now in the United Liverpool game. Personally I just think Origi is overly dramatic when he goes down and it just isn’t a foul.
That was my view as well... he hardly got touched, but went down like he had been shot .

the mane one was a handball and he gained an advantage from it..

Don't know what to think anymore. Looked a soft decision the Mane handball.

No intention or movement towards the ball, it simply skipped off his thigh and clipped his arm.

But if the rules state that no matter what, if there's any contact with the arm/hand, intentionally or not, it's a foul....I suppose the goal has to be denied.

Looking back at it, I don't think he gained any advantage by the ball clipping his arm.